Thomas The Tank

The Strasburg Railroad in Pennsylvania has one. Converted from a Porter 0-6-0T. Quite an odd juxtaposition of Thomas steaming past families of Amish people in their traditional clothes. I'm not sure they quite approve of such modern marvels as steam engines.

Neve Valley has Hudswell Clarke No 1800 running as Thomas. It is the only one in the world that can run like this without paying royalties because it was named by the Rev himself in the early 70s.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Gold

Where is it at the moment?

Cheers

CC

Ropley I think, but will find out for sure on Saturday - it does go all over on it's travels, including the continent and Scandinavia, it's a good money earner for us.

By way of something a bit different from the norm, the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway has "Ivor the Engine" instead, in a very good rendering of the livery used on Oliver Postgate's original (seen from a passing XC service on a day out to Oxford the other weekend).

David

I believe there are a total of 5 licensed "Thomases" in operation which travel the country attending the various events.

If anyone is in the area 47298 (the kettle, not a former Brush) is performing at Cranmore this weekend.

One of the downsides is that the terms of the licence forbid anyone in Hi Vis from working in the public vision during the event, we of the East Somerset P W gang loved these events as it was the only time we could talk to visitors of the same mental age as ourselves.

Wally

Neve Valley has Hudswell Clarke No 1800 running as Thomas. It is the only one in the world that can run like this without paying royalties because it was named by the Rev himself in the early 70s.

Cheers

David

post-40-127249054943.jpg

post-40-127249060973_thumb.jpg

Archived