The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rugby Union

tigerburnie

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, john dew said:

I thought the plan was no spoilers?

I can  understand a request for no spoilers, but surely the easiest way to achieve that would be to simply not look in on the thread.  Then the vast majority could talk about it 'real time'.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I guess its ok. I sent John (St Enodoc) a PM earlier advising him not to look at the thread until he had watched his recordings

As for me........I am speechless.

Edited by john dew
  • Thanks 2

England - Scotland

A game of two halves, as someone apparently said...

An under strength, misfiring Scotland team travelling to Twickenham to face an England team that were near full strength, playing pretty well, and possibly seeking revenge for the previous year (and the return of the Calcutta Cup). It had all the makings of one of those horrible mismatches that sometimes occur and lead to record point scores etc.

After half an hour Scotland were dead and buried. And then it started to click...

In the end, perhaps a draw was the right result :-) Although:

We (Scotland) scored six tries at Twickenham and didn't win.

We scored 38 points at Twickenham and didn't win.

When was the last time England conceded 38 points at Twickenham (in the Six Nations)?

Frustrating as we had the opportunities to win. A number of goal kicks were missed, any of which would have made the difference.

A fascinating game to watch, at least after the first half hour, as most (all) of the tries were relatively quick, no slow grinds towards the line with a score after the 24th phase etc. A couple of interceptions, plenty of line breaks, etc. Suddenly the player with the ball is free and is racing for the line with most of the other 29 players in pursuit. They didn't always make it, but a good number of times they did.

The half-time talk would have been interesting, although I'm wondering about the alleged 'disagreement' between Townsend and Finn Russell. Did Russell go against instructions and play how he wanted the game played in the second half? We may never know.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Surely one of the best Six Nations weekends of all time. It had just about everything.

Nobody expected Wales to beat Ireland comfortably, very nearly preventing the Irish scoring at all. It was not pretty but Wales play with so much more discipline with Gatland as coach. Very few mistakes given the conditions.

Feel sorry for Italy. Played pretty well in every game and quite close to winning four of them. Certainly should have won against France.

I had to go out before the end of the England-Scotland game but it was clear that Scotland were on their way back after a truly dreadful first half. Did not expect them to score another 19 points though. I must get on to ITV Hub and watch that. As someone said above, the English dressing room must have been interesting!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Does Jones, I wonder, manage the England team in such a way that they can't or aren't allowed to think for themselves?  They seem to be fine when things work for them but when they don't and things need to change they don't seem capable of adapting.  

Is Jones the Mourinho of rugby?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, BoD said:

Does Jones, I wonder, manage the England team in such a way that they can't or aren't allowed to think for themselves?  They seem to be fine when things work for them but when they don't and things need to change they don't seem capable of adapting.  

Or, as Romain Poite would put it, "I am not your coach, I am the referee".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, BoD said:

Jones failed to win the World Cup with his home team in their home stadium, why the England management thought he'd do a job for them is beyond me, I reckon he's come here to get his revenge lol.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Or, as Romain Poite would put it, "I am not your coach, I am the referee".

That was a prime example wasn't it? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to more important things.

Will Falcons avoid relegation (and what has happened since last season)?

Can Durham City hold on and win the Durham/Northumberland League 1?

Will the International Board get the World Nations League off the ground?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Could be a very important day for some in the leagues, not least the once mighty Leicester Tigers who have the small task of beating leaders Exeter...…………...COME ON YOU TIGERRRRrrrrsssssss.

I can't see Falcons coming away from Sarries with many points.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 6 April 2019 at 12:18, tigerburnie said:

Without wishing to aim ill at others, this week might not be where we save ourselves, but a performance would be encouraging.

This weekend's results makes Friday night's game rather important.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BoD said:

This weekend's results makes Friday night's game rather important.

Only a little bit lol, ex coaches and players in both sides, both proud clubs with a hell of a lot at stake, it won't be pretty nor will it be for the purist or the feint of heart.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

After my last post I will give up any sort of predictions, however The once mighty Leicester Tigers really do need to win today against fellow lower half of the league Bristol, last nights results didn't really make much difference, we need to turn up today and produce a result.

• Agree 2

Come on you Tigerrrrrrrrrssssssssss(not exactly filled with confidence, but we really do need some points here and history would show we usually do well at the Stoop, but this year is far from usual for us).