Getting long stored Wrenn going (question!)

andyman7

I've recently acquired two long stored Wrenn Royal Scot BR 'Grenadier Guardsman' locos. They don't look like they've been used at all, just put away and stored. I've tried both on track and they are barely moving, although there's no short circuits or broken conections, power is definately getting through. I suspect that they need remagnetising but would welcome opinions.

I only want to keep one so my other slight dilemma is that normally for a loco as long stored as this, I would give it a strip down clean and lubricate checking connections and cleaning any tarnish to electrical joints; but we are talking Wrenn here and I am wondering whether the one I move on should just be sold as is since it is in effect in ex-factory condition.

Wrenn.jpg

Yes,it`s a common problem with Wrenn locos.It seems to be a mostly vertical armature motors but a few ringfields suffer as well.One can go like a rocket with good haulage capabilities,another loco will exhibit the problem you have.It`s really down to sloppy quality control at Wrenn.Recently,iv`e sent two of my City chassis to Scalespeed for rewinding,remagging & service & it looks like i`ll have to do the same with a similar loco to yours.I also have aWrenn LMS Royal scot which performs really well so it really is a matter of luck.I also have three Wrenn spamcans which are superb.

Ray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are but i won`t use them,some of them are too powerful & damage bearings.I have a remagnetiser but it doesn`t seem to help Wrenn.I run a large HD 3 rail layout which has a fair number of Wrenn locos in my collection.

Ray.

Edited by sagaguy
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Since they've been stored for a long time, it's probably dried up lubricant and possibly a weak magnet. Incorrect brush tension could also affect things. The magnet should give a strong pull to a screwdriver etc. I use smaller neodymium magnets as replacements as I agree that the full size ones are too strong. I find two 6mm cubes padded out with washers are about right. The second check is to slacken the two grub screws that hold the worm gear and see if the wheels and motion turn freely. The motor should not draw much more than 600mA.

I would sell the surplus one 'as is' and restore the other. Collectors seem to prefer the model MIB. Personally I expect them to work. Maybe not 100% 'as new', but at least to operate reasonably well.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks. I agree regarding having the models work but with vintage stuff I have penchant for keeping the mechs all original. I recall somehere that one option with neodymium magnets is to use a small one stuck to the original magnet as a sort of 'booster'. Have I got that right? Does that work? In any case I shall select one for a strip, clean and relubrication as well as testing and if necessary dealing with the magnet. Depending on how straightforward that is I'll decide whether to tackle the second one or sell 'as is'.

I recently bought a Wrenn 8f which was obviously unused but like your models was very reluctant to move.  I am reasonably familiar with this model having had a similar 'late' Hornby 8f.   I simply took it completely apart, took the brushes out, armature out,  all bearings cleaned and re-oiled.  It goes a treat.  I didn't even stop to think about magnets.

Good luck Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

I ecently bought a Wrenn 8f which was obviously unused but like your models was very reluctant to move.  I am reasonably familiar with this model having had a similar 'late' Hornby 8f.   I simply took it completely apart, took the brushes out, armature out,  all bearings cleaned and re-oiled.  It goes a treat.  I didn't even stop to think about magnets.

Good luck Ray

That's reassuring, thanks for sharing your experience

• RMweb Premium

If you don’t want to do it yourself(I didn’t) I can recommend Samstrains , who does the YouTube channel of same name. He does a loco repair service . I’ve sent him a Wrenn 4MT and a Windsor Castle , one of which wouldn’t run at all, and both came back great runners. Very reasonably priced too

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NCB said:

Forgive my ignorance on Wrenn, but the Royal Scot has flanged central drivers. Didn't realise Wrenn did that. Is this common?

Later models yes,the spamcans have flanged centre drivers.

Ray.

• 1 month later...

By way of an update, the Wrenn pair finally reached the head of the queue for sorting. Once the mechanisms were exposed and they were on the rolling road, both engines were persuaded to run and freed up once they were going. One of the two was definitely a bit tighter than the other and had a bit of a waddle from the centre drivers but the main issue appeared to be 35 years of non-use rather than anything else.

Thanks again for the previous advice/suggestions.

• Like 3