Blue peak syp

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark and all

I did not realise that if a train started in one region, left it then re-entered the starting region,  it would carry the headcode with the letter of the final region not that of the divison within that region.  And to think it never left Midland Railway lines. All part of the rest of British Railways hating Derby and the Midland railway :no:

That's why, for the sake of 11 miles, all Sheffield to StP trains were 1MXX southbound, and 1EXX northbound.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

That's why, for the sake of 11 miles, all Sheffield to StP trains were 1MXX southbound, and 1EXX northbound.

Mike.

Hi Mike

I knew the St Pancras to Sheffield trains were 1Mxx or 1Exx, what I learnt today was that after the closure of the "best" route to Manchester and the few trains between Manchester and St Pancras carried 1Mxx headcodes because they left the LMR, whizzed through 11 miles of ER tracks and back on to the LMR. 

It is good that people are able to share information on forums like this as I am always learning new stuff.

Still someone high up in BR did not like the MR. At one time from Bristol to Carlisle you travelled on one railway with a change of train at Leeds, by the time BR got hold of things you were on the WR, LMR, ER, NER and back to the LMR still with only one train change at Leeds.

Archived