Surface mounted point motors for 009 Peco Set Track

Billy Boy

Hi,

I (and my two young sons) are embarking on creating our first 009 layout.  We have a baseboard and a track plan in place.  However, I would ideally like to install surface mounted point motors, as I have experienced difficulty in the past installing below board motors on my old 00 gauge layouts.  

From my initial research, DCC Concept's SS Cobalts seem to fit the bill.  Has anyone had experience of fitting these to Peco set track points?  How do they fare against the Gaugemaster range of surface mounted motors?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mark

If it helps if am doing the same thing but using peco pl11's.

They work fine with the n gauge track (horror) and with a bit of imagination you can hide them under a bush. Alternatively you can extend the link with a bit of stiff wire and put them in a building.

Have fun

Chris

Thanks for the responses so far.

I should have clarified my initial post - some of the points are out of the reach of my 3 year old, hence the need for point motors to be installed.  I take on board the point (excuse the pun) made by Joseph about the size of a surface mounted motor, however I am doing this to enable play value - rather than for the aesthetics.  As such I am looking for easy to install and reliable point motors.

Thanks again,

Mark

A few years ago I used surface-mounted Peco motors, along with their mounting plates and linkages on a 7mm NG layout and the only problem I had was with one where the location forced me to mount the motor at a slight angle, resulting in the occasional partial throw.

I'd go for Peco.  Their stuff is the most readily available - almost all model shops will stock them, while comparatively few will stock Seep and very few Cobalt.  I also hear grumbles about the reliability of Cobalt.

• RMweb Gold

To be honest the CobaltSS is easy to set up but they can go to sleep if not used for a while, they are supposed to have fixed it on new stock though. They do work out quite expensive per point though. 

The cheaper pl11 or the Peco Pl 10 (with the pl12 base) mounted on the surface can be hidden in buildings.