The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rugby League

south_tyne

Leeds took another mauling last night. Listened to most of it on the radio and enjoyed the game. I have a bit of a soft spot for KR so pleased that they have had a solid start to the season. 

St. Helens fan here for my travails.

They just seem unable to actually win the bloody trophies these last few years. Yes topping the league is great but please... Can you must get too and win a grand final...

I don't go to matches these days because of my health but Knowsley Road was a place I loved - the popular sides very west end.

Some great memories of great players and great games, I just wish you could get more games on the TV. I refuse to have anything to do with Sky...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I was amused to see that today at least Keighley Cougars and Fort William FC  have something in common that probably no other club in Britain has, or more accurately hasn't  (though I suspect that in Keighley's case it won't last for long).

DT

18 hours ago, Torper said:

I was amused to see that today at least Keighley Cougars and Fort William FC  have something in common that probably no other club in Britain has, or more accurately hasn't  (though I suspect that in Keighley's case it won't last for long).

DT

Ah the old minus points position! They have already won two games mind so, I think you're right, the parallels are unlikely to last very long. It will take some doing to replicate the form of The Fort!!

On 05/04/2019 at 16:40, Torper said:

DT

Another win for Keighley yesterday, so they're chipping away to get back into a positive position!

On 5 April 2019 at 10:14, south_tyne said:

Leeds took another mauling last night. Listened to most of it on the radio and enjoyed the game. I have a bit of a soft spot for KR so pleased that they have had a solid start to the season. 

Some issues at Leeds. Hurrell and Dwyer are the bright lights in a dark place for them at the moment. I think they're missing Ryan Hall for some punch down the flanks and haven't recruited well. That aside, they have enough quality to turn it round. Rovers played the best I've seen for a couple of years and really need to stay fairly injury free now to get some consistency. Lunt's return has had an impact and Maguire seemed to be trying too hard in the first few games. He looks like he's relaxed to enjoy his last season now.

2 hours ago, woodyfox said:

Some issues at Leeds. Hurrell and Dwyer are the bright lights in a dark place for them at the moment. I think they're missing Ryan Hall for some punch down the flanks and haven't recruited well. That aside, they have enough quality to turn it round. Rovers played the best I've seen for a couple of years and really need to stay fairly injury free now to get some consistency. Lunt's return has had an impact and Maguire seemed to be trying too hard in the first few games. He looks like he's relaxed to enjoy his last season now.

Definitely. I think the Ryan Hall factor is massive; having someone who can finish like that and guarantees tries is such an important thing and so difficult to replace once it's gone. I'll be very interested to see how he gets on in the NRL once he is back playing. I think you're right mind, they can turn it around. Despite the start to the season I still wouldn't be surprised to see Leeds make a charge towards the play-offs once things start to click. 

KR have started well, as have their cross-city rivals after that horrendous run from the back end of last season which hungover into this. 

On 06/04/2019 at 10:48, south_tyne said:

What a magnificent comeback by Cas last night! I listened to it on the radio and it was a fantastic game. Great advert for rugby league. 

Not good for the nerves though. We seem to be on Sky most weeks but I try to get to the home games if the weather is half decent.

On 09/04/2019 at 11:15, doilum said:

Not good for the nerves though. We seem to be on Sky most weeks but I try to get to the home games if the weather is half decent.

I can imagine it was not good for the heart! Great drama for neutral mind. I am quite a fan of the concept and can see it being implemented in the long-term. 

I think the Championship is going to be absolutely fascinating this season. There are so many big teams in there. Lots of pressure on Toronto to deliver after falling at the final hurdle last season, I expect that they need to get into the Super League as quickly as possible from a financial perspective. They have started really well mind. I am very interested with my team (Bradford) being in there and another in York who I also follow and want to do well. 

Big win for St Helens last night against Warrington in the clash of teams at the top. Saints fans must be delighted at how things are going. Contrasts with the fortunes in neighbours Wigan who continue to endure a relatively difficult start to the season. 

• Like 1

The least surprising decision of the season was finally confirmed yesterday with Shaun Edwards confirming he isn't coming to Wigan next year. I wonder where they will turn next? Will Adrian Lam want to stay? Do the Wigan fans want him to stay on? It's going to be interesting to see what happens. 

Some cracking Good Friday fixtures, including the big derby games. Excellent crowds across the board. Well done to Saints and Hull for their comprehensive wins. Also to Salford for shocking Warrington, I certainly didn't see that coming! Wigan and Leeds remain right down at the foot of the table, both are going through difficult times, although a Rhinos win would certainly have been welcomed by their supporters. 

More top quality games to look forward to over the rest of the Easter weekend :good_mini:

• 4 months later...