Dapol rtr meat van !

Whilst perusing a junk/vintage store in seaton yesterday I came across a Dapol meat van yes exactly the same one as per the Old airfix come Dapol kit But the body is a one piece moulding with non opening doors and pegs to clip on their clip on chassis. Which is branded Dapol England With the clip in couplings, 

now thankfully  it matches in well with how I have built the kits in the past,so will blend in well with them

but can I find any thing about it ? or even when Dapol made a meat van, the same as the kit model. It's certainly not in their currant listings nor did a search reveal anything it has plastic wheels on a steel axel which dates it to a few years ago and not a currant model is listed 

O! we are talking about 00" 

and I am enquiring because I might like some more to pad out a train with few ?

• RMweb Gold

I would guess that this has the standard Dapol chassis, with a moulded handbrake lever.   For this reason I’d suggest padding your train out with the Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster plastic construction kit, or at least replacing the chassis with  Parkside Dundas (PA 09).  And you need to bin the plastic wheels as they’ll spread crud all over your layout.  My running is much better since I eliminated plastic wheels on mine!

Edited by The Johnster

Never heard or seen one of these. Quick look in Ramsay's says...

1985 by Dapol. Only three types made and two of them are fictional.

B26   B870074  1985

B180 B670006 1989

B102 LMS 173127 date unknown

Went to Hornby 1996. But problems with the tooling meant they only made two further batches. Very short run of about 1000 each.

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Jason

mystery solved thank you. mine dates back to 1985 then, I couldn't find it on line or in my Ramsey's guide !   Bound to one of the two fictional ones you mention !

But I have been thinking it was time to get a newer up to date version a thought that you have proved I must action  I will go and recheck though as it's newer than 1985 ?

Johnster

I don't need to pad out with kit versions the ready to run has joined four kit built' as mentioned in my post and I don't believe a train would consist of many more, I am just a bit gob smacked I missed out on the ready to run models existence

your right as to the chassis but in its defence it's finer than the ancient kit chassis thanks and for the tip about which chassis to replace the kit chassis as these would be the first priority due to the heaviness of these mouldings.

as for the wheels these are very clean for a thirty four year model as it is my belief that the plastic wheels do NOT make the dirt, if they did they would get dirty despite being not used as this model hasen't and no it wasn't in a box to protect them, I always though the dirt on the rails sticks to plastic wheels rather than the wheels making the dirt.    ( controversy do plastic wheels clean the track ?)

all a bit of a irrelevance as I prefer metal wheels anyway  and who would be daft enough to keep the plastic wheels the Old kits came with !

Edited by Graham456

• RMweb Gold

Dapol B180 (in wagon brown) is actually numbered B 870006 so is kosher. Photo in the first thing that comes up if Googled.

Dapol B26 (I have one) is maroon rather than crimson so slightly iffy.

I also have a Hornby one, R.6185B (B870012) suggesting the existence of 3 batches, with R. 6185 and R.6185A in addition to mine,

John

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I would guess that this has the standard Dapol chassis, with a moulded handbrake lever.   For this reason I’d suggest padding your train out with the Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster plastic construction kit, or at least replacing the chassis with  Parkside Dundas (PA 09).  And you need to bin the plastic wheels as they’ll spread crud all over your layout.  My running is much better since I eliminated plastic wheels on mine!

Both the Dapol and Hornby versions have them. 

I recently fitted my Hornby Meat van with a Bachmann underframe from one of their "Mr Blobby" Minks, which are being replaced with kitbuilt (Ratio).

Big improvement in both cases, with a couple of Banana vans due for the same treatment soon.

John

Thanks dunsignalling

that confirms I have a dud as I have the maroon  now know to be cat No  B26 knew it ! Thankfully paint faids so their might not be a lot between the colours with a bit of dirt.?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Graham456 said:

Thanks dunsignalling

that confirms I have a dud as I have the maroon  now know to be cat No  B26 knew it ! Thankfully paint faids so their might not be a lot between the colours with a bit of dirt.?

I've been using the same assumption/excuse, but intend to repaint mine eventually, it'll get a Bachmann chassis like its Hornby counterpart while I'm at it.

John

Must be a typo in the book.

I wouldn't worry too much about livery. Just weather it as they probably would have got filthy quite quickly and looking at photographs it's difficult to see what colour they were. Plenty of discussion in a previous thread.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78149-airfix-br-10t-meat-wagon-kit/

I'm as guilty as anyone for over buying the kits. I think I've got about a dozen knocking about somewhere. I didn't realise the real versions were rare at the time. But now I'm thinking about a small dock line layout to justify some small shunting locos I could easily think of an excuse for them.

Jason

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:40, Steamport Southport said:

Must be a typo in the book.

I wouldn't worry too much about livery. Just weather it as they probably would have got filthy quite quickly and looking at photographs it's difficult to see what colour they were. Plenty of discussion in a previous thread.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78149-airfix-br-10t-meat-wagon-kit/

I'm as guilty as anyone for over buying the kits. I think I've got about a dozen knocking about somewhere. I didn't realise the real versions were rare at the time. But now I'm thinking about a small dock line layout to justify some small shunting locos I could easily think of an excuse for them.

Jason

Agreed on liveries. When you look at photos of rakes of wagons, there's so much variation between the colours of the vans that they might as well be painted different colours. In fact, when I'm putting together a rake, I tend use different shades of paint for exactly that reason.

There weren't many of these (150 IIRC). I can only remember ever seeing one of them. Its livery was best described as 'muck'*. It must have been after the release of the Airfix kit (moulded in bright red - they must have taken 'crimson' too literally) otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it.

* As in the first photo here:   https://www.google.com/search?q=Br+meat+van&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRuMf1j7fhAhXKZFAKHQg_AdkQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1304&bih=666