If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

G'Day

esca

G'day. I am Fred aged 76 and I live in sunny Perth.

Perth in Western Australia, so it really is sunny. ( No rain for the past seven months )

I have been in and out of modelling for all those years. Last layout was four years ago, N guage. FWAR. Fred's West Aussie Rail. Mostly superb Japanese locos resprayed in My livery.

I have sold that and am going back to OO or Ho. Haven't decieded which yet. I am an ex Pom and I love British locos, especially the Gresleys. I hate the clash of scale with the track and I hate those tension lock couplings.

I dabbled in EM once, but it was expensive and I could never get things to run properly.

American steam locos look good. They are correct scale and have good couplings. British stuff is cheaper.

Cost is a problem for me. So I will probably stick to DC and hand operated points.(wire in a tube).

This will be my last layout and I will make it modular, so that moving it or selling it intact will be easier.

Looked into "Fremo" standards, but no one around here uses that modular standard.

I really cannot make up my mind.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome Fred. Lots of Aussies here including a fair number of exported Poms! No rain eh? But you did cop a big hail storm over there recently I believe, same as us in the Melbourne area.

Lots of good stuff in here so look around and enjoy.

Thanks for the welcome Gwiwer.

Actually I live about 80 Km south of Perth and THE storm missed us.

The hail destroyed 20 000 cars.

All the new cars in all the car yards were write offs.

Your layout looks terrific.

• RMweb Premium
The hail destroyed 20 000 cars.

All the new cars in all the car yards were write offs.

Tell me about it. I work in motor insurance claims!

Your layout looks terrific.

Thank you. Your question about it has been answered in that thread.

Archived