Bisley - 1990s EM Gauge

dj_crisp

Well it's nice to see another modeller here tackling china clay in EM gauge, I shall watch with interest.

As always, if you have any clay history specific questions, or want to know if I have photos of something specific in the archive, please just let me know.

• Thanks 1

Hi David

Thanks for your info and good recommendations. 

I'm also aiming for 1mm clearance as well as that seems to work ok with my stock. When the layout is fully wired up and running I'm planning on an afternoon checking this alignment. It's easy to tweak if needed. So far my test Hornby 09 fitted with ultrascales with a selection of wagons/coaches have managed to get through ok but I'll see what happens when i get the big engines running.  My theory is if the rigid 09 can get through then i have a chance with the rest. It's certainly bounced off a few times highlighting my poor track laying skills (my worse bit was a small change in incline!)

The biggest problem I've had so far is gauge narrowing on points and I'm not entirely convinced all plastic constuction is ideal.  The last FB point has been strengthened with the odd copper clad sleeper so it'll be interesting to compare that one over time with the others. I also found I've needed to do alot of thinning down of the point blades to stop stock riding up and then off as they enter the facing blade.  Rounding  the point blade tip and thinning the inside a little seems essential for me to try and achieve smooth running.

As you can probably tell it's all one big experiment and I'm learning alot as I go along! I don't plan on ballasting until nearer the end of the project just so the layout can be run for quite a while ;)

cheers

Will

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Stoker said:

Well it's nice to see another modeller here tackling china clay in EM gauge, I shall watch with interest.

As always, if you have any clay history specific questions, or want to know if I have photos of something specific in the archive, please just let me know.

Many thanks! Always good to share stuff! It's definetly going to stay with a china clay theme just that the more i look at the prototype the more i seem to base ideas on St Erth - however I'm not that prototypically bothered to be that strict so will keep the china clay element with 50s flashing by on the main line :)

cheers

Will

• RMweb Premium

I also found that a few soldered copperclad sleepers helped a lot to hold points  more rigidly than all plastic sleeper construction. A bit of brass shim between the rail and the sleeper and you can't tell the difference with a cosmetic chair and a bit of paint. 

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Many thanks! Always good to share stuff! It's definetly going to stay with a china clay theme just that the more i look at the prototype the more i seem to base ideas on St Erth - however I'm not that prototypically bothered to be that strict so will keep the china clay element with 50s flashing by on the main line :)

cheers

Will

There were quite a few stations that had clay trains passing through. St Austell, Par, Luxulyan, Bugle, Lostwithiel, Bodmin Road, Liskeard... if you're doing a fictional station what's to say it couldn't be another one of those?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hurrah I've managed a spot of modelling over the festive period ! 

I've not done much but I've managed to bodge a tie-bar for the trap point and soldered on a bit of tube to attach to the point motor. A small L shaped piece of brass on the opposite rail keeps everything square when it throws. Hopefully it's all strong enough to hold together!.

308377240_2019-12-3011_54_42.jpg.60e274ff3bb5cabd59ccea7783b64a24.jpg

It's always good to look at a photo as it shows I've forgotten to isolate the tie bar!

Anyway carrying on a bit of momentum I've installed and wired it into the the layout. Photo below is a trial laying down and shows it's a bit close to the branch line but i guess I might get away with it ;)

562069601_2019-12-3012_49_39.jpg.a9d12d04ceef4c6650d3c05c35ed01d0.jpg

And another section of main line has gone in after I's sprayed an adjustment switch.... (i've run out of grey primer!)

1956558687_2019-12-3012_50_04.jpg.ab2687eb6bf919392988f169ba17ed84.jpg

The shot above is pre-glueing which based on how cold the garage is will take some time to dry!

I hope you've all had a great Christmas and Happy New Year!

cheers

Will

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

The results of my Christmas endeavours…

1811816934_2020-01-0922_00_36.jpg.24d7e90d3fdca610307e9e5747de319f.jpg

Not a great deal to show but at least I’m now happy with the sidings alignment . It’s not that obvious that the siding on the left has shifted 1cm away from the bay by correctly laying the point by keeping it straight! Plenty of space for a bay starter signal now.

This has all taken quite a bit of effort as I had to move a kadee magnet for one siding. By moving the point and effectively shortening the sidings I managed to keep the same angle of the siding on the right and so at least kept one kadee magnet in its original position. Phew.  I haven’t wired the kadee magnets in just yet so that’s a project on the horizon to work out how to do. I think I’ll opt for a simple push button per magnet to power them as doing something with DCC is probably beyond my abilities at present.

145994904_2020-01-0922_01_04.jpg.86f09ec212fca561be801cbf46b476ba.jpg

Getting the track to line up across the board joint also took a day. I’m way too slow!!  And there I still have to tidy up the soldering but plan to do that for all baseboard edges when the layout is up and running.  You may notice that i ran out of cork so offcuts have been used which may or may not provide interesting balasting.

Next up is fitting more point motors so lots to do!

I admit this all wasn’t fun!  Lessoned learned – get it right first time!

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Looking great Will...slow and steady wins the race and all that!

I struggled to maintain speed on my layout projects too, however we model stock as well so hopefully by the time the layout's finished we should have enough stuff to run!

Keep up the great work :good:

Jack.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Thanks Jack! I always look forward to seeing updates on your thread to keep my inspiration going!!

I think as soon as I've got the basic electrrics sorted then I'll feel like proper progress is being made :) I aim to start some scenic work when it's nice and warm outside (or in the garage)

cheers

Will

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

I've given up on using the digikeijs 4018 for turnout control as I couldn't get rid of the buzzing sound. I'm going to use that for lighting.

So I turned to a digitrax DS64... which if I'm being honest almost finished me off with the hobby.  I simply couldn't set the thing up with the Z21app. Thankfully kind people on Rmweb have helped me understand what I was supposed to do and I managed to get one half set up for tortoises... I say half as it seems I must have a faulty one as i can only get two turnouts rather than four working. After spending 20 hours over a week (no joke) I thought I'd try my other one as a last result and got it working in 5 minutes...

20200329_162331.jpg.01b0fcdd0c2ee215656bd307d1397e79.jpg

I'm not sure what to think now....  pleased that I'm not totally stupid but at the same time really annoyed with instruction manuals as programming is way harder than needed. I have to admit I haven't been able to face anything else modelling wise while trying to sort this out... but now might take on some tortoises soon.

Anyway I think I'll continue with the hobby... cant throw away 30 years of playing with trains just like that.... but sometimes DCC really does try me!

I hope you're all doing ok... Keep safe and enjoy modelling!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The last week was a bit nippy and so have started an indoor build... namely a timber tracks signal box. WFH i seem to be more busy than normal and so modelling time has been pretty limited. Anyway for few in progress shots;

1928697954_2020-03-3122_02_01.jpg.ea35d7b1efa0f31a2dd51b6a6d8bca51.jpg

The basic sheel goes together very nicely producing a stiff shell

269150167_2020-04-0220_25_35.jpg.50e610f20b188ac594946ebfaa9a3c30.jpg

I couldn't resist seeing what it looked like next to the crossover and I quite like the view of the box up the bank. Might need to put is some better foundations!

638237968_2020-04-0516_29_50.jpg.02d9d54952c451beb140114b4df632dd.jpg

Have put on a coat of white primer which helps highlight any rough spots to sort out. I found fitting the windows quite hard as they didn't quite fit. Hopefully they'll glaze ok

154977792_2020-04-0516_30_35.jpg.fa52726a8886b078c895cc632a466acb.jpg

I've gone against the instructions and made the roof detachable to allow me access to the inside of the box if i ever need to as I plan on fitting some lighting. The roof is not a total success as there is a small twist and so on final fitting i will glue it to the box but use some low tactile glue. Not sure what yet.

The bodyshell has also been sprayed for the next stage which is cladding. I also have a very nice looking etched interior to build by Severn Models which'll keep me busy for many evenings this week.

Stay Safe! 

Will

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well I'm not entirely sure the brick cladding has been a success. before spraying I even quite likled the colour!

241477643_2020-04-0917_11_40.jpg.39c5e9ae6aab03360717583cc03f254c.jpg

I used the original timber tracks brick overlays and when fitting and noticed that the main body didn't look as defined as the foot of the building overlay. When sprayed white it looks more like timber cladding!

20200409_172552.jpg.4d6be93d3d933f12d459b2ec8f5d4436.jpg

I think I'm in for a few evenings marking vertical lines to define bricks as I don't have an alternative plan! On a slightly positive note I'm attempted to hide the edges on the cladding and am quite happy with how the ends are disguised,

Hey ho. I've learnt that buildings try my patience even more than locos!

Have a great Easter!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 19:36, dj_crisp said:

The last week was a bit nippy and so have started an indoor build... namely a timber tracks signal box. WFH i seem to be more busy than normal and so modelling time has been pretty limited. Anyway for few in progress shots;

1928697954_2020-03-3122_02_01.jpg.ea35d7b1efa0f31a2dd51b6a6d8bca51.jpg

The basic sheel goes together very nicely producing a stiff shell

269150167_2020-04-0220_25_35.jpg.50e610f20b188ac594946ebfaa9a3c30.jpg

I couldn't resist seeing what it looked like next to the crossover and I quite like the view of the box up the bank. Might need to put is some better foundations!

638237968_2020-04-0516_29_50.jpg.02d9d54952c451beb140114b4df632dd.jpg

Have put on a coat of white primer which helps highlight any rough spots to sort out. I found fitting the windows quite hard as they didn't quite fit. Hopefully they'll glaze ok

154977792_2020-04-0516_30_35.jpg.fa52726a8886b078c895cc632a466acb.jpg

I've gone against the instructions and made the roof detachable to allow me access to the inside of the box if i ever need to as I plan on fitting some lighting. The roof is not a total success as there is a small twist and so on final fitting i will glue it to the box but use some low tactile glue. Not sure what yet.

The bodyshell has also been sprayed for the next stage which is cladding. I also have a very nice looking etched interior to build by Severn Models which'll keep me busy for many evenings this week.

Stay Safe! 

Will

Great job on the signal box here Will..

• Friendly/supportive 1

I did intend to have neat wiring... hey ho

1907932756_2020-04-1116_22_03.jpg.e5cbe0a6965d330dfec548fedc8e5e10.jpg

Damm DCC concepts!!! One of my colbalts is now constantly clicking... I guess thats the end of that one?

I have to say anyone reading this my experience with DCC concepts stuff is rotten. 20 odd decoders have failed on me; a tail lamp and now I think I can add a cobalt unless I'm missing something.  An expensive lesson.

69804124_2020-04-1013_09_56.jpg.ea8644a4c2845796fdcfa198a090df9b.jpg

Not how the manufactorer intended!! But at least it fits follwing my lining up mistake!!

So far a fairly productive Easter.

I hope you're all having fun!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

One of my colbalts is now constantly clicking... I guess thats the end of that one?

...I think I can add a cobalt unless I'm missing something.  An expensive lesson.

Unfortunate to hear of your woes Will...however I’m certain DCC Concepts do a lifetime warranty on Cobalts. I’ve certainly sent a couple back and they’ve always replaced or repaired with no questions asked...

I'd give them a call if they’re still operating from a service department perspective. If you’re feeling brave you could open it up too. I did this on my last one which failed and it turned out a contact was misaligned so it never switched off...I couldn’t fix so sent back and got a replacement.

Hopefully you can resolve. :yes:

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Jack374 said:

Unfortunate to hear of your woes Will...however I’m certain DCC Concepts do a lifetime warranty on Cobalts. I’ve certainly sent a couple back and they’ve always replaced or repaired with no questions asked...

I'd give them a call if they’re still operating from a service department perspective. If you’re feeling brave you could open it up too. I did this on my last one which failed and it turned out a contact was misaligned so it never switched off...I couldn’t fix so sent back and got a replacement.

Hopefully you can resolve. :yes:

Jack.

Thanks Jack

i think I may just open this one and have a look - especially in the current times it's not really worth going to the post office to return it! I have a few spare so will swap it out. A good suggestion though and I'll try and work out whats wrong

cheers

Will

1 hour ago, Southwich said:

Very nice work Will! Impressed you got the C&L tiebars working properly - I had a bit of a nightmare with mine! 

Looking forward to some trains running! 

Will

Thanks Will!!

I'm nearly there with this board - just another tortoise to fit and I may add a catch point then loads of track detailing to do. Also I want to fit some Ambis point stretcher things to the flatbottom cross over. Had a mini scare the other day with them as my test loco (the 09 in a few pictures) kept derailing over it. Then found the Ultrascales back to back was out on one wheel.  Phew, Something new to fix!

Truth be told I need to work out what to do fiddle yard wise before I can run more than a single loco; and I plan a third and smaller board that will be the station area, In it's current home (the garage) that is the limit of the size i have so will operate it as a terminus,

The C&L tie bars are a pain to fit tbh. as they're not really designed for tortoises. I've taken to extreme measures... drill a small hole in the centre of the sliding bar.... fit a stiffer spring wire from piano wire then mount a bit of wood behind it for the tortoise. Any plastic on the TOU is then hacked that gets in the way. I've no idea if soldering the droper wires from the point is correct but that was the only way I could get them to work.  Saying all that its quite satisfying when it's all done and actually works! I'm hoping they place a bit less stress on my trackwork but only time will tell.

cheers

Will 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’ve been keeping myself amused and have been rather busy on the layout. Nothing particularly interesting to show as most of it has been wiring related; fitted 6 point motors now and just need a DS64 to finish them off and check I wired them in correctly! I’ve also started to work out which wires need to go across boards and have soldered up a few connectors.

Above board it’s all been about sorting out some turnout issues. I’m not sure how it happened but my catchpoint was horribly out of gauge causing derailments. So to keep things in gauge I’ve soldered some copper clad sleepers in place… much better! Added a few cosmetic chairs and now it’s ok.

259818547_2020-04-2122_03_43.jpg.04609967a5680c1de4adbf14bf08c6a8.jpg

I’ve also been busy with my remaining flat bottom turnout sorting out clearance and I need to extend the rails to the edge of the board. This one is about half finished.

Also I’m working my over the track making sure all chairs are in place; fitting dummy ones to copper clad sleepers; filling gaps in copper clad and attaching some fish plates.

1867116357_2020-04-2517_49_07.jpg.aae2f4346ac0d68fcdbd2a2e5acaa8b5.jpg

I’m quite enjoying this in a strange way as it feels like progress! That’s probably because I’ve just spent ages marking out bricks on the signal box using a broken drill bit filed to allow an easy press.

1885132678_2020-04-2513_35_30.jpg.177bc3659519fbf5f4396fa1accde949.jpg

656096382_2020-04-2513_35_46.jpg.9a5b98d4b52559a6198480e427442388.jpg

Well I’ve learned that I won’t make the Pendon team as my brickwork is pretty terrible! It’s supposed to be English Bond and so nice and aligned… mine isn’t! I plan on picking out some of the better bricks and try and hide the rest ;) Still it got me through several dull conference calls ;)

Keep Safe

Will

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

14 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Well I’ve been keeping myself amused and have been rather busy on the layout. Nothing particularly interesting to show as most of it has been wiring related; fitted 6 point motors now and just need a DS64 to finish them off and check I wired them in correctly! I’ve also started to work out which wires need to go across boards and have soldered up a few connectors.

Above board it’s all been about sorting out some turnout issues. I’m not sure how it happened but my catchpoint was horribly out of gauge causing derailments. So to keep things in gauge I’ve soldered some copper clad sleepers in place… much better! Added a few cosmetic chairs and now it’s ok.

259818547_2020-04-2122_03_43.jpg.04609967a5680c1de4adbf14bf08c6a8.jpg

I’ve also been busy with my remaining flat bottom turnout sorting out clearance and I need to extend the rails to the edge of the board. This one is about half finished.

Also I’m working my over the track making sure all chairs are in place; fitting dummy ones to copper clad sleepers; filling gaps in copper clad and attaching some fish plates.

1867116357_2020-04-2517_49_07.jpg.aae2f4346ac0d68fcdbd2a2e5acaa8b5.jpg

I’m quite enjoying this in a strange way as it feels like progress! That’s probably because I’ve just spent ages marking out bricks on the signal box using a broken drill bit filed to allow an easy press.

1885132678_2020-04-2513_35_30.jpg.177bc3659519fbf5f4396fa1accde949.jpg

656096382_2020-04-2513_35_46.jpg.9a5b98d4b52559a6198480e427442388.jpg

Well I’ve learned that I won’t make the Pendon team as my brickwork is pretty terrible! It’s supposed to be English Bond and so nice and aligned… mine isn’t! I plan on picking out some of the better bricks and try and hide the rest ;) Still it got me through several dull conference calls ;)

Keep Safe

Will

More top work here Will:good:

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, 37403 said:

Excellent stuff

How did you make the window frames?

The signal box is a timber tracks kit so everything is nicely cut for you. The windows weren't a perfect fit and needed filling down and the only disappointing aspect of the kit so far is the brickwork which hadn't been layered that well. Roof and interior next

It's always the small jobs that take the most time!!

The end rails of one of the flatbottom points was always short so I've cut it shorter and added a short section of rail to be flush with the board join;

722014505_2020-05-0214_23_12.jpg.fb5a455f38441525d262ce3f2251d468.jpg

Of course there was no way i could fit droppers due to baseboard supports so an above grond solution has been implemented!  Copper Clad sleepers have been added for strength and to keep everything in gauge. I've now also primed these ready for spraying which isn't too far off - just got to check everything works, but I'm getting tempted to have a go at Facing Point Locks and there is alot to learn! I think this one doesn't need a FPL as the turnout is not facing for passenger traffic although is for freight access to the siding - if anyone knows it it should have please let me know!

The whole layout has now had fishplates and chairs fitted - which when the sun is out is quite a pleasant task when done in the garden.

2020-05-02_15_21_44.jpg.d219c8b9bcbf1ed8848df303a6ad0e04.jpg

Begining to look like a layout! I'm just waiting for a DS64 to arrive to check I've fitted all the switch machines correctly :)

• Like 6

I've been busy wiring today - always amazing how long it takes!

soldered up a 15pin connector to pass over a few wires for point motors, detectors, loconet and signal wires.

1860131566_2020-05-0316_49_56.jpg.dad6d04b860bdaa0e76b085cc39b2e16.jpg

I need to find something to grip the end with so there is no stress placed on the soldered joints

965297727_2020-05-0316_50_50.jpg.c0f7a6880cf30ae089b94e5c04f91662.jpg

And my new favourity material - cable tidy! even makes my wiring look almost presentable. key thing is that it keeps wire away from where i don't want it!

1833347884_2020-05-0318_01_57.jpg.9931ff872c9e17f5aad5f17143139bcc.jpg

Plenty more to do!

Happy modelling all!

Will

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1