Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dunnington, Derwent Valley Light Railway.

On 07/04/2019 at 13:32, Signaller69 said:

Agreed. The photos show the platform had been cut back and the small store removed by Dec 1973 which is earlier than I thought (hard to tell but they appear to have been still in situ in 1972 photos in the book), and appear to show the short siding and sugarbeet loading bank had gone by the time the steam service was running (1977-79), which is mentioned in the book. The station building itself changed in substantial detail at least 3 times between 1960s and 1980. As the short siding and loading bank are features I ideally wish to include (but not yet 100% sure), along with the grain plant, I suspect it will date the layout to around 1965-72 condition (in 1965 the station buildings were also painted in a more attractive green and white scheme), although I have every intention of running both slightly earlier and later rolling stock (possibly including an alternative up to date preservation "might have been" scenario) as there is so much variety to choose from.

The cutting back of the platforms and the removal of the store did not take place at the same time. The platform was shortened first, possibly when the grain drier was extended c. 1965, but certainly by September 1971. The platform store remained until at least  1976 (it can be seen in photos of "Hardwicke" at the station in that year), but had been removed by the summer of 1977. The loading dock had also been shortened at the station building end by 1971, ending with a retaining wall of concrete blocks. I have a recollection of the grain dryer side of the embankment being cut back and walled with sleepers. The loading dock was removed by 1975, the siding being used to used for the unloading of bagged fertiliser on pallets. The short siding remained in place in 1976, but had gone by 1978. There was a Great Northern 8 ton van on the part of the platform. This was moved to stand in front of the original grain drier where it remained until at least 1977. I was then moved to the side of the carrot washery between the Grain Drier and the station masters house,where it remained until well after the line closed.

Edited by J25
  • Informative/Useful 3

49 minutes ago, J25 said:

The cutting back of the platforms and the removal of the store did not take place at the same time. The platform was shortened first, possibly when the grain drier was extended c. 1965, but certainly by September 1971. The platform store remained until at least  1976 (it can be seen in photos of "Hardwicke" at the station in that year), but had been removed by the summer of 1977. The loading dock had also been shortened at the station building end by 1971, ending with a retaining wall of concrete blocks. I have a recollection of the grain dryer side of the embankment being cut back and walled with sleepers. The loading dock was removed by 1975, the siding being used to used for the unloading of bagged fertiliser on pallets. The short siding remained in place in 1976, but had gone by 1978. There was a Great Northern 8 ton van on the part of the platform. This was moved to stand in front of the original grain drier where it remained until at least 1977. I was then moved to the side of the carrot washery 9between the Grain Drier and the station masters house,where it remained until well after the line closed.

Many thanks for your information, which helps to clear up some timeline questions, in particular around the loading dock and short siding, also that the store survived longer than I thought, not sure why I thought it was removed by 1973!

Your reference to the 8 ton box van on the platform helps as a photo in the DVLR book shows this next to the store, from the angle taken I had assumed it was at the end of the loading dock rather than just a body on the platform, but logically the loading dock was further over.

This link has good photos of the Station building and store (1973) and also shows the loading dock area post removal of the dock, the loading bank and the short siding (1977).

http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/specials/dvlr.htm

However any links to photo references showing the loading dock, loading bank and North end of the Station building in the late 60s to 1972ish would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69

Martyn,

did you get hold of a copy of the building plans from the old MRN magazine?. If not, let me have your address via a PM and I'll send a copy to you.

Jeff

• Friendly/supportive 1

A couple of pictures of the station building I made for my layout plus the Dunnington-inspired warehousing. The station building shows the York Model making diamond slates that I used.

Jeff

Scorby1.JPG.280a5baa0f5a54680a162d43a386bf5f.JPG

Scorby2.JPG

Scorby4.JPG

Scorby3.JPG

Scorby5.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, Tappa said:

Martyn,

did you get hold of a copy of the building plans from the old MRN magazine?. If not, let me have your address via a PM and I'll send a copy to you.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Tappa said:

A couple of pictures of the station building I made for my layout plus the Dunnington-inspired warehousing. The station building shows the York Model making diamond slates that I used.

Jeff

Scorby1.JPG.280a5baa0f5a54680a162d43a386bf5f.JPG

Scorby2.JPG

Scorby4.JPG

Scorby3.JPG

Scorby5.JPG

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for posting your layout photos, it looks superb and really captures the feel of the line, lovely modelling. The low relief Grain Plant buildings against the backscene are just how I plan mine to look, with any luck. Nice to see the roof tiles too, I picked a couple of packs up at York Show but may need more.

I'm popping to our Club this evening so hope to look out the MRN issue, but if no luck I will PM you later, thanks for your kind offer, it is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

I made a drawing of the platform goods store weighing machine  building which appears at various stations including the grey painted one aat Dunnington. I built it for my Coney Hill model in 7mm scale. This does not appear in the NRM which includes only the station building. I will root it out, the model is in my gallery and the Coney Hill 7mm thread from 2013. The buildings were all supplied by The Portable Building CO. 

Dava

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Dava said:

I made a drawing of the platform goods store weighing machine  building which appears at various stations including the grey painted one aat Dunnington. I built it for my Coney Hill model in 7mm scale. This does not appear in the NRM which includes only the station building. I will root it out, the model is in my gallery and the Coney Hill 7mm thread from 2013. The buildings were all supplied by The Portable Building CO. 

Dava

Thanks Dava,  

All help gratefully received! I'm also lacking info/photos on the loading dock platform area and area to rear of the station, Carrot washery etc if you have anything? I have photos of the Station Masters house though.

Have PM'd you too.

Thanks,

Martyn.

I would just like to say a quick "thankyou" to all who have shown an interest in this project thus far.

Being essentially a micro layout, rather than an exact scale replica, there is a need for compromise of course, for instance the sidings are shorter than the real location and the width compressed. I am aiming to build a fairly faithful replica of the Station Building and low relief Grain Plant; whether everything reflects the real situation at a particular date remains to be seen, but I think running wise, 1971-72 will be the target era as the class 04 shunters arrived in 1969, Yorkshire Grain Driers purchased "Churchill" in 1971 and the sugar beet traffic finished in 1972.

I have fitted point motors to the hidden siding points but they await wiring in. I have also curved the end of the long siding inwards a little to allow more room for the low relief Grain plant.

I have also ordered a pack of small neodymium magnets to experiment with, for uncoupling Kadee couplings.

More soon,

Martyn.

• Like 1

The Neodymium magnets have arrived from "Emagnets UK" so I have planted a few. They are of the 2mm wide, 8mm long, rod variety, advertised as having 0.13kg pull (See photo for specs etc). Placing 2 pairs opposite each other in 2mm holes near each rail with opposite polarities - to induce the magnetic field - alongside each rail seems to work well, although fairly precise positioning of wagons to be uncoupled is called for (More could be used if desired to lengthen the effective area of course). With the top of the magnets just above the bottom edge of the (code 75) rail, pull wise the effect seems about the same as a Kadee permanent magnet uncoupler and isn't so strong as to attract steel axles.

20190503_160414.jpg.58a43eed7feb276d8b3e7d1ed9935938.jpg20190503_160318.jpg.62b2efe53977d58026d9e8895bd2b708.jpg20190503_163202.jpg.d21b6c32ec8fe04747d3c524e83eb4b4.jpg

There are 3 sets of such uncouplers in this view, I doubt they will be noticed at viewing distance once ballasted and painted:

20190503_162156.jpg.33e201a0dca46b5973d3dd993cc859f0.jpg

The only problem encountered was fixing the second magnet of each pair in its hole as they are strongly attracted, tweezers helped with this and setting the heights - superglue was flooded around them once in place. As the magnets are sold in packs of 50 for less than £10 (I'm aware they may possibly be found slightly cheaper elsewhere) this will suffice for Dunnington with some left for Crinan probably, to do away with the unsightly Kadee magnets there too.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 30/04/2019 at 10:22, Signaller69 said:

Many thanks for your information, which helps to clear up some timeline questions, in particular around the loading dock and short siding, also that the store survived longer than I thought, not sure why I thought it was removed by 1973!

Your reference to the 8 ton box van on the platform helps as a photo in the DVLR book shows this next to the store, from the angle taken I had assumed it was at the end of the loading dock rather than just a body on the platform, but logically the loading dock was further over.

This link has good photos of the Station building and store (1973) and also shows the loading dock area post removal of the dock, the loading bank and the short siding (1977).

http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/specials/dvlr.htm

However any links to photo references showing the loading dock, loading bank and North end of the Station building in the late 60s to 1972ish would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Martyn.

The van had a ramp leading to it and was used to store oil barrels in the 1950s when the short siding was used as an oil depot. At the time of the 1949 survey there were 3 separate loading banks on the siding. The first was the original beet loading bank, the second is that that appears as a grey rectangle on the plan in the book. This was separate from the platform on which stood the two Nissen huts. The middle loading bank was cut into the ramp of the original bank and was probably a different height above the rails. I don't know what traffic was handled at Dunnington during the war, but presumably this ramp was installed to handle it. I will PM you some images of the area.

• Informative/Useful 2

22 hours ago, J25 said:

The van had a ramp leading to it and was used to store oil barrels in the 1950s when the short siding was used as an oil depot. At the time of the 1949 survey there were 3 separate loading banks on the siding. The first was the original beet loading bank, the second is that that appears as a grey rectangle on the plan in the book. This was separate from the platform on which stood the two Nissen huts. The middle loading bank was cut into the ramp of the original bank and was probably a different height above the rails. I don't know what traffic was handled at Dunnington during the war, but presumably this ramp was installed to handle it. I will PM you some images of the area.

Hi David,

Excellent photos in your PM, to which I have replied, thankyou.

Looking at the photo on P85 of the DVLR book, the Nissen huts appeared to be at the end of the long siding by the Potato Warehouse site, or what later became the Yorkshire Grain Driers site. I'm wondering if the middle loading bank was used for bagged grain loading, as one of the photos you sent shows a train of 12t vans in the short siding. Or possibly potatoes during/after WW2?

Thanks,

Martyn.

A bit more progress. Before I can start "groundwork" I needed to sort how the backscene would work so this has been made from hardboard and screwed into place using strategically placed blocks of softwood; it will be removed for painting or pasting a commercial backscene (yet to be decided). The cut away part near the centre is to clear the inner hidden siding and will be hidden by the low relief grain plant. The backscene is only 15cm deep as I didn't want it to over-power the layout.

20190507_172324.jpg.11d927367469abc3d1c9bab95a76031e.jpg20190507_172241.jpg.b48a9e14a24b60291ceb72b3b58bd673.jpg

As can be seen, the backscene curves at the left end, cutting across the end of the sector plate - a view block will be employed to help disguise this. At the right end this approach would have taken too much space behind the Station, but the "corner in the sky" will be disguised by the half relief Station Masters house.

In other news I have ordered a Chivers LNER 'Pigeon' Van and LMS twin bolster wagon (to become the final DVLR Brake Van and crane runner wagon respectively) and have drawn up sides for the ex SECR 6w Brake Van too. I'm also hopeful I have a lead on a couple of class 04s too....

Thanks for looking,

Martyn.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2019 at 13:30, Signaller69 said:

Hi David,

Excellent photos in your PM, to which I have replied, thankyou.

Looking at the photo on P85 of the DVLR book, the Nissen huts appeared to be at the end of the long siding by the Potato Warehouse site, or what later became the Yorkshire Grain Driers site. I'm wondering if the middle loading bank was used for bagged grain loading, as one of the photos you sent shows a train of 12t vans in the short siding. Or possibly potatoes during/after WW2?

Thanks,

Martyn.

If you look at the picture above the one you mention on page 85 you can see that there is a structure behind the lorry which will be one of the two on the loading platform. These seem, therefore, to have been conventional sheds, not nissen huts. There were two lots of nissen huts on the long siding-the two you mention, plus others to the other side of the potato/carrot warehouse-the corner of one can be seen on plate 81 in the Middleton book, which shows the original grain drier and the first extension to the drier. The 1965 ordnance survey map shows the platform these huts stood on, but the huts had gone, as had the two huts you mentioned.  At some time around 1965 the drier was further extended right up to potato/carrot warehouse (you can see on several photos the difference in roof colours between the first extension and the second, larger one. The potato/carrot warehouse remained intact into the mid 1970s at least. I have found a note that the high-level loading bank was removed in 1974.

The assertion in "Rails along the Derwent" the track plan at Dunnington saw little change prior to the 1970s is not quite correct in that a kick-back siding was built from the long siding in the 1950s to serve the grain drier, the empty wagons were propelled through the loading point and then shunted under the loader "by a lorry using a rope" (1959) though the Middleton Press book shows a tractor near the loading point which may have served the same purpose.

There doesn't appear to be a surviving construction plan for Dunnington, but the evidence is that the short siding would originally have run behind the small goods shed and terminated in an end loading dock. This would have been obliterated when the station building was extended. The siding was then shortened and re-aligned closer to the running line. at some point in the early sixties the station platform was shortened, the loading bank and sheds removed and the siding extended.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, J25 said:

If you look at the picture above the one you mention on page 85 you can see that there is a structure behind the lorry which will be one of the two on the loading platform. These seem, therefore, to have been conventional sheds, not nissen huts. There were two lots of nissen huts on the long siding-the two you mention, plus others to the other side of the potato/carrot warehouse-the corner of one can be seen on plate 81 in the Middleton book, which shows the original grain drier and the first extension to the drier. The 1965 ordnance survey map shows the platform these huts stood on, but the huts had gone, as had the two huts you mentioned.  At some time around 1965 the drier was further extended right up to potato/carrot warehouse (you can see on several photos the difference in roof colours between the first extension and the second, larger one. The potato/carrot warehouse remained intact into the mid 1970s at least. I have found a note that the high-level loading bank was removed in 1974.

The assertion in "Rails along the Derwent" the track plan at Dunnington saw little change prior to the 1970s is not quite correct in that a kick-back siding was built from the long siding in the 1950s to serve the grain drier, the empty wagons were propelled through the loading point and then shunted under the loader "by a lorry using a rope" (1959) though the Middleton Press book shows a tractor near the loading point which may have served the same purpose.

There doesn't appear to be a surviving construction plan for Dunnington, but the evidence is that the short siding would originally have run behind the small goods shed and terminated in an end loading dock. This would have been obliterated when the station building was extended. The siding was then shortened and re-aligned closer to the running line. at some point in the early sixties the station platform was shortened, the loading bank and sheds removed and the siding extended.

Thanks for the info David, I replied to your PM before reading this but surmised the short siding had been moved over and extended by 1971.

I'm glad I'm not modelling an earlier period as I doubt there would be room for the variety of extra sheds and several Nissen huts, even in low relief, let alone a kickback off the Grain siding in the available space, nice though it would be.

I must see if I can locate some photos of the carrot store/ warehouse too.

Thanks again,

Martyn.

8 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

I can look on some old OS maps do you have a OS grid ref ? :) 

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the offer, I don't know the OS grid reference, but Dunnington is about 4 miles directly east of York City centre. There are maps and track layout diagrams, which also show building etc outlines, in the "Rails Along The Derwent" book mentioned earlier which cover various periods. That said there were many (mostly small) changes which happened over time which is why I am trying to use photographic evidence from around 1971/72 where possible as this is the era I wish to model.

Cheers,

Martyn.

4 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Hi Martyn,

To my shame I only came across this thread having read your Crinan update. Will now be following with interest.

Al.

Hi Al,

Thanks, nice to have you along, this one is intended for home use and possibly some shows if it gets invited, so it's not a replacement for Crinan as such, which is based at my local Club and will have more jobs/upgrades done as time allows. 

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

shame they have not digatised this one yet http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/derwent-valley-light-railway

Thanks Calvin, yes that would be interesting, wondering if it was filmed on one of the steam services? Thanks for digging anyway, yes the Railway was a latecomer, don't have the book handy but opened 1913 iirc, closed 1982 apart from a short section retained at York Layerthorpe, which lasted until around 1988.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Nothing to report on the layout but progress is being made in various other, parallel, directions.

I have produced some sides for a representation of the ex-SECR 32ft, 6 wheel brake van that the DVLR purchased post WW2 and which was in use until 1967, being moved to the Bluebell Railway in 1972. This is a definite rule 1 vehicle as it was synonymous with the line. Construction is plasticard with microstrip beading and Ratio MR coach duckets. Further detailing remains to be added. An etched kit is available from Branchlines but mine is essentially a freebie as the running gear and materials were to hand.

20190511_234445.jpg.1f5146024c56f91ba53f51b7116af8d3.jpgThe donor chassis is clear to see, hopefully the full length footboards will hide the worst of the fairly crude Hornby chassis, which needs to be lengthened a few mm at each end. The roof, with its strange birdcage lookout, is being worked on too.

Link to photo of the prototype:

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1601.html

A few packages have arrived with more projects, of which more soon, along with these miniature works of art from Narrow Planet for the Yorkshire Grain Driers Fowler loco, yes the Works plates have the correct number too!

20190510_215315.jpg.a1ebf6d48e6ba550ff8a24ff0c8f6889.jpg

A fuller description will end up on my workbench thread in due course, for those interested in such things:

I am hoping to complete construction of the layout's backscene board tomorrow, with the addition of a strengthening lamination of hardboard along the back, followed by sealing and undercoating.

• Like 6

The ex-SECR 6w brake is progressing.

20190516_070031.jpg.1cef37db4a5a5711b8cd6a8b7983068f.jpg20190516_070136.jpg.42c418cec9b4b4dbc9e8df405a602b1a.jpg

Still much left to do, but so far, so good!

And a Chivers LMS Bolster wagon is almost complete, which will run with a scratchbuilt 6w antique crane that the DVLR owned. A very straightforward kit which comes with cast metal buffers. I have the LNER Pigeon Van brake from the same stable to build too.

20190514_165710.jpg.c493faec4368b347e520262e3ab75e7e.jpg

The backscene has had the strengthening laminating layer added and is now much more robust, but work has got in the way of further progress on the layout.

2 class 04s have been secured too (thanks Trevor!) and these will feature in due course.

• Like 5

One of the recently purchased 04's had a test tonight; one of the wheels was slightly loose on its axle (usual split axle chassis problem) but this has now been rectified, and Kadees fitted; in turn some shunting using the newly installed magnets was carried out, at the same time testing the Kadees now fitted to the 2 brake Van's, which near completion.20190528_231932.jpg.3e94809b3267bd064807cc33e3765a7e.jpg20190528_232421.jpg.a403045751b9366f4a5782e1a5947ff7.jpgThe simple track plan will still cause headaches if one is not careful!

• Like 11