Remembering Remembrance

• RMweb Gold

Hi I have recently acquired a damaged Langley's Baltic Tank which has been quite well build but now needs some love.  However I'd like to renumber it as 333 Remembrance and I wondered if anyone knew where to get the brass plates lining etc. to do this or even if any of that exists.

Also is it easy or even possible to convert to DCC. Looking at the pickups they are on one side of the driving wheels which are insulated from the rest of the chassis. So am I right that I'd need to isolate the motor from the chassis in some way  and then route power from the chassis through the DCC decoder to the motor itself?

Any help appreciated

On the electrical side, the conversion for DCC is in principle just as you describe. If there is ready access to the brush terminal that is currently connected to the live chassis, then you are good, sort of...

However, seven wheelsets including four in bogies under what is probably an all metal structure live to one rail is something of a hostage to fortune in DCC operation. Run it on DC, in near darkness all around your layout and inspect from both sides. If there are any sparks, that's trouble. DC tolerates momentary shorts, DCC doesn't. Fully insulated wheelsets on both rails and wiper pick ups both sides, to fully isolate the body from the rails would be my preferred solution.

• RMweb Premium

You may be able to do the DCC conversion if you can insulate the other motor brush from the chassis. It's trivial on open frame motors like the X04 but can range to next to impossible. 

• RMweb Gold

thanks for all the replies I think I am going to have a fight on my hand as a previous owner has soldered the cranks onto the wheels and glued rather than screwed the pistons onto the chassis so stripping this down to modify it is going to be a pain. BTW @34theletterbetweenB&D I didn't need to turn off the light to see her sparking on our club layout so I am beginning to regret buying it but I want a Baltic and this seemed the only option as there don't seem to be any unbuilt kits around