Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0

Hi, I want to build  a well detailed model of the an Ivatt 2MT tender loco. The reason for the build is nostalgia.  One of these engines was the last working BR steam engine I saw.  It was pulling a couple of vans and a brake van through Pencaitland, probably heading to the  Glenkinchie Distillery. The loco is to be O gauge.  I think there is an available kit that used to be available from Acme Models.  Does this kit build into a model that is accurate.  Has anybody made one from this kit, have you got any helpful tips?  Thanks.

Yes - I'd go with the DJH kit -  I upgraded mine with Laurie Griffin castings, that was just personal choice. There is an RTR one of course, I think Tower models have them.

RM2425.JPG.2e63c4d0e6d7c784567d0a18c758122e.JPG

Regards

Tony

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi, thank you all for the information.  Do I detect that the ex Acme kit might be difficult to build and/or not possibly yield a pleasing model? Certainly Tony a manufacturer could not wish for a better endorsment of their product than the beautiful model you have constructed from their kit.  Is there a choice of chimney in the kit?  My " memory" loco sported one of those thin, tall stacks of a Darlington built engine. Once again thank you all.

Laurie Griffin does the thin chimney - I don't recall the kit having one. I'd suggest that the Acme kit would be more 'challenging', although I have no experience of it myself.

Regards

Tony

• RMweb Gold

The kit comes with 2 Chimneys. In the instructions they describe them as LMS Chimney and BR Chimney. 

See the attached photo. Sorry for the poor quality it's taken through the bag from an unstarted kit. 

20190501_175621.jpg

Edited by markjj

Not too sure about those descriptions.

I think the situation is rather more complicated.

From the Gavin Morrison book.

Crewe built the first batch with the shorter wider chimneys in 1946/7, 6400-19.

Darlington built a  batch with the tall narrow chimney in 1951/2, 46465-89.

There is a one off variant when 46424 received a stovepipe chimney at Derby during tests to improve the drafting.

This led to the revised design on the Darlington built batch.

There is also a reference to some locomotives being originally fitted with a slightly shorter Stanier-type chimney.

That comment casts doubts on the statement about what Crewe actually did on all of the first batch.

Don't ask me about later changes. That topic is above my pay grade.

Once again a case of dated photographs being essential.

Bernard

1 hour ago, John M said:

The Comet 2MT 2-6-0 is an excellent kit, very straightforward to assemble.

I am not sure if it is currently available from Wizard Models.

It is, but is 4mm! The OP was requesting info on 7mm options.