Shapeways 3d A7 Autotrailer

Given the demise of Blacksmith Models into the black hole of Coopercraft is this now the only way to to get a diagram A7 autotrailer, other than scratchbuilding? Has anyone purchased one? What is/was it like?

TIA

Tim T

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the price is putting me off this as well, plus the fact that I can't find evidence that Tondu had any allocated, though Llantrisant is just up the road and that did!  My recent experience with K's kit A31 and E116 suggest that one of these might not be beyond my capacity to make a reasonable job of, though.  

But it comes down to price at the end of the day; I reckon £130 plus to complete and a fair bit of work.  It'd be different if I had proof of one at Tondu in my period, but that's too much to shell out for a 'vaguely possible under Rule 1' item.  Now, if somebody were to do a Diagram N before Dapol get around to producing a 4mm version of theirs...  But it's a distinctive prototype and shows what's possible with 3D printing.  We will see more 3D models and the potential for short or individual runs for niche markets is massive.

My experience of Shapeways' stuff is a pair of recently acquired GW fishbelly bogies, with which I am absolutely delighted.  They took paint well, acrylic spray undercoat and brushed on black topcoat, and run very freely using Hornby wheelsets in plain bearings.

Three or four RTR wagons? For what you get in time saved alone is to my mind worthwhile how long would it take to "rattle" up one from scratch? I've just stumbled across this range of coaches and have ordered  one, not GW, so might have a different opinion later, but not having to tackle a brass option makes such a price worthwhile IMO.

• RMweb Gold

It's a good point, Ben; these 'scratch aids' are major timesavers and the hard work, especially panelling where that applies and regularly sized and spaced window reveals, is done for you.  If an A7 had been used at Tondu in my period it would be as high on my shopping list even at that price as a Bachmann 94xx,, which was definitely used at Tondu in my period and at the top of said list as soon as it's available; it's a question of prioritising spending on the models that are definitely needed over ones that aren't or that you don't know enough about to be sure yet.  

I've recently built a brass Comet coach, and found it heavy going; the stock requirements for my layout's timetable need at least another 3, an A44 trailer and an E147 B set, the better part of a year's work at my speed and probably about £200 outlay.  3D has a lot of potential, but as a 1950s WR modeller I am well catered for by RTR in terms of locos and wagons; it is in coach types suitable for local South Wales work in the period that RTR is lacking, especially as I model a Valleys branch with little scope for RTR stock.  RTR caters for me with auto trailers, the Bachmann A38 being suitable and the Hornby A28/30 Airfix derivate not unsuitable despite showing it's age, but no non-gangwayed stock suitable for my area is available nor, with the Hornby London/Birmingham Collett Suburbans now on the market, is there likely to be any time soon.  I am using a pair of Hornby Colletts under Rule 1, as there were similar outline coaches for the Valleys, but will have to rely on Comet for most of my future needs.  The old Airfix B set is not suitable for my area, though some did work in South Wales.  

Coaching stock is the weak point on my layout, and Rule 1 is used quite extensively.  

• Agree 2

Well folks, thanks to a nice refund from my energy supplier that SWMBO doesn’t know about (yet!), I’ve taken the plunge and ordered a body and a pair of 9’ fishbelly bogies from Shapeways. It will be one of the Llantrisant ones as shown in Lewis. Photos when they arrive.

Tim T

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

At least it was well protected, unlike the clock radio I just bought on eBay, which only lit up when it arrived, but no display (a jiffy bag is not really sufficient, but it wasn't worth sending back). Nothing serious and easily fixed, but I thought (hoped) I had given repairing such things when I retired. There's also a jammed VHS cassette :( , which refuses to load waiting,  but trains have higher priority!