RMweb

Suitable chips

MarkSG

Having made the decision to go DCC on my current project (previously I've been strictly DC), I ordered an NCE Powercab which arrived this morning. So... I now need to get chipping! And that means finding a suitable chip for all the locos that, at least to begin with, will either be intended to run on the current project or are likely to put in a guest appearance when suitably authorised by my modeller's licence. 

The various suppliers of chips seem to have a plethora of different sizes and types, and I don't want to risk installing an unsuitable one. So I obviously need to of a bit of research before placing orders.

To save me time, is there anything like a list, anywhere, of recommended chips for popular and recent models?

For reference, the layout is in OO, and the locos I'll want to chip first are:

Rapido/Model Rail J70

Hornby J15

Dapol/Model Rail Sentinel

Hornby Peckett

Bachmann Johnson 3F

Bachmann Ivatt 2MT

Any suggestions for those would be appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

You can't really go much wrong with the £20 Zimo chips (available in 6, 8 and 21pin format) for all the locos you mention.

The exception is the Peckett, unless you want to hard wire a normal chip in the only option is Hornby's own 4pin one.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, MarkSG said:

...To save me time, is there anything like a list, anywhere, of recommended chips for popular and recent models?

I have never seen one - which doesn't mean there isn't such a thing - but consider this: the first question this invites is how you want the models to perform? The suggested 600 series Zimo decoders will deliver refined operation, provided that the mechanisms are in good operating condition.

I only have the J15 and 3F from that selection, both have Lenz decoders, standard and silver21 respectively, because those were the 'lowest price for the quality' choices at time of release. (I would still put a Lenz standard in a J15 because it's typically a couple of quid cheaper then the Zimo, and the mechanism is good enough that it doesn't need the suite of extra adjustment that Zimo offers. The 3F would now get a Zimo 638D as that's now a better buy than the silver 21 for my purposes: because I see DCC as purely a utility and 'least money to achieve fine performance' is my criterion.)

Mark,

Regarding the specific type (format) of decoder required in each model, there is no definitive list that I know of, but manufacturers usually provide the information you need. Although there are some 'trends' within manufacturers' lines it's unreliable to base decisions on this. Plenty of owners of the models in your list on here, so you will likely get some specific advice in this regard.

Which brand to purchase is a different thing altogether.

There's a certain logic to using the cheapest decoders which will produce the results that you require, and that may be a way to save a pound or two.

As a newcomer to DCC there are some drawbacks to this approach, however. I don't want to be drawn into an argument about this - I'm just expressing an alternative view.

In order to successfully determine which will be 'good enough' you will need to be able to determine, prior to purchase, what are your criteria. This will come by experience, but in the meantime, I would recommend that you stick with one brand which you know will give top class performance in all your models, old or new, good mechs or not so good.

This will mean that you will have only to become accustomed to the relevant CVs for one type, at least whilst you are gaining that experience, which you will be able to easily translate to similar decoders in other models.

Deciding what features you need will not necessarily be as easy at this point than when you have some experience of DCC and its capabilities.

The biggest problem is 'not knowing what you do not know'. A common problem for us all when starting out with something new. What you can be sure of is that no manufacturer will tell you what its brand will not do, or does it so badly that it's unusable, or features that you later find you need but are unavailable on that brand.

There is a significant difference between feature sets and capabilities of top quality decoders and the rest. These differences are not necessarily reflected in the price either, so that's no guide.

From my perspective of using exclusively digital equipment since 1979, I would endorse the earlier recommendation of ZIMO decoders. You will not find them lacking in any area, and of course, all your gained experience could be useful if you should ever decide to embrace DCC sound. Many common brands do not make sound decoders.

Finally, something which even experienced DCC users often overlook - buying on price alone can be more expensive in the long run.

If your purchase fails to deliver what you require, you will need to make another purchase (or put up with it).

Top qualty decoders have upgradable/updatable software, which means that their capabilities can be expanded or enhanced over their lifetime. This can make 10 year old decoders operate as if they were the latest versions. Those which cannot be updated (the majority, so read the decoder specs carefully) cannot be upgraded or have any bugs fixed with free software downloads, meaning that you are stuck with what you get at the time of purchase. The only upgrade path for these is to buy again, but since there is no need to produce software updates for existing decoders, how often will new one's of the same type be any better? This is like buying a smart phone which cannot be upgraded with new software or load additional apps, and few of us would do that, I think.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 1

I am with Kaput on this one. I too am a newcomer to DCC and went round the houses with various chips but in the end found that the Zimo £20 decoders represent excellent value and good performance.

• RMweb Gold

Keep away from the cheaper chips sold by the box shifters etc. 

Hornby and Bachmann are also worth keeping away from as these have limited CV's that can be altered.

Zimo or Lenz decoders may be slightly more expensive and the cheaper bulk buy deals may seem very tempting when first starting out, but in the long run you will grateful you spent a little extra money and bought them especially if you start to want to tweak the decoder settings. 

You'll not regret buying the powercab, spend time reading the manual - look especially at the section on setting the number of recalls.  Out of the factory it is set to 2, but you can change it to a maximum of 6 which make swapping between locos a lot simpler.

• Like 1