G.C.R Model Event 14/15/16 JUNE 2019

Hairy Bear Digital

On 17/06/2019 at 10:54, Tony Teague said:

I agree, however it re-enforced my view that "scale sound" in whatever form is not for me.

The speakers on board model locos just cannot reproduce a realistic sound, whether it is the deep growl of a 'Peak' or the staccato bark of an 8F as it pulls away.

As to the white noise of multiple locos on tick-over, I'm afraid that I just find it irritating.

(I'm sure others will disagree furiously!).

Tony

I personally do not like sound effects in model locos. Especially when i was exhibiting thee with a modern image diesel layout with 20-30 locos int he fiddleyard all chugging away in the background. It was a continuous din of rumbling. I was there with Merstone and St Lawrence which is entirely analogue. I do have a little speaker that plays subtle background noises of birdsong and cattle in the field. I did not use it though as the sheer reverberation of the noise in the tent from other DCC sound fitted layouts, the public and the full size trains out side meant that you would not have really heard it.  

Mark

• Agree 5

On 11/06/2019 at 08:55, Chris M said:

Whats all this rumour about certain societies and maybe other stands being dropped after booking a space in favour of a large retailer/manufacturer?

I was going to go but parking on that field after all this rain - I don't think so.

Absolutely agreed. I didn't attend the show this year for this reason. 

Edited by Lochnagar

13 minutes ago, Lochnagar said:

Absolutely agreed. I didn't attend the show this year for this reason. 

Which one? The rumour or the field?

As it happens, the stewards made the best of a bad situation in the field, moving plastic tiles around to cover the high traffic areas. This can't have been a pleasant job, but they did it anyway.

Ideally, I'd have taken the train as in previous years. A stroll from Loughborough station to the GCR one. Spend too much money on the second-hand stalls and enjoy the garden railways. Then on the train to Quorn to enjoy the show and beer and cider tent. Very civilised and a cracking day out. Sadly, I was working so needed to lug equipment which meant the car and no cider. :-(

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

15 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

As it happens, the stewards made the best of a bad situation in the field, moving plastic tiles around to cover the high traffic areas. This can't have been a pleasant job, but they did it anyway.

Ideally, I'd have taken the train as in previous years. A stroll from Loughborough station to the GCR one. Spend too much money on the second-hand stalls and enjoy the garden railways. Then on the train to Quorn to enjoy the show and beer and cider tent. Very civilised and a cracking day out. Sadly, I was working so needed to lug equipment which meant the car and no cider. :-(

I agree; the stewards did a great job. They even announced that they had a 4x4 on standby, but I never saw it.

There were societies there too. DEMU, Gauge O Guild, Midland Railway, DOGA are the only I can remember, but I am sure there were others too.

Anyone who decided not to go because of either reason missed a really good show.

• Agree 8

16 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Some old bloke got off the train at Quorn with a massive full suitcase, it looked like it weighed a ton.

I'm still not sure if he was actually using the GCR to get home from a holiday or simply had purchased a heck of a lot of G scale stuff at Loughborough.

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

[...] and no cider. :-(

That's unfortunate; very nice cider it was too.

That detail could well have spelt disaster for me, given how close the layout I was assisting on was to said beer and cider bar, but I showed extremely good self-restraint and only had the one pint during the three days.

A very enjoyable event, all be told. We arrived on the Thursday lunchtime and left on Sunday evening, so could have been a long drag had things not gone well, but the organisers did a grand job.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, markneilp14 said:

I personally do not like sound effects in model locos. Especially when i was exhibiting thee with a modern image diesel layout with 20-30 locos int he fiddleyard all chugging away in the background. It was a continuous din of rumbling. I was there with Merstone and St Lawrence which is entirely analogue. I do have a little speaker that plays subtle background noises of birdsong and cattle in the field. I did not use it though as the sheer reverberation of the noise in the tent from other DCC sound fitted layouts, the public and the full size trains out side meant that you would not have really heard it.  

Mark

I quite like the concept of subtle background sounds; quite different to the continuous noise that you mention.

Tony

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Well I wasn't going to let a field get in my way of a model show :lol: lets put it like that

24 minutes ago, Lochnagar said:

Well I wasn't going to let a field get in my way of a model show :lol: lets put it like that

In which case, believing a rumour meant you missed a good show. 

As others have said, there were societies represented so they weren't all thrown out. However, since a trader pays for space and societies (generally) don't, most exhibition organisers must prioritise the former over the later. It's not unknown for some society members to treat an invitation to a show to be a nice way of getting free tickets and not worry too much about entertaining the public too. Those I saw seemed to be chatting away happily so doing the job properly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, markneilp14 said:

Hello

The reason there is no gauge 3 there this year is that the blackgang layout does alternate years as otherwise it does become a bit repetitive and we also have other outings with Blackgang. Also i was at Quorn exhibiting my 00 layout Merstone & St Lawrence so i can not be in 2 places at once.

Incidentally the next two outings for Blackgang are 24-26 August at the IOWSR and 12/13 October at Aldershot(Farnham club show).

Blackgang is booked for the 2020 show at the GCR.

Cheers 

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I spent a while admiring Merstone & St Lawrence which had a lot of activity. Look forward to Blackgang again next year!

Dava

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, markneilp14 said:

Perhaps everyone should adopt the Charwelton approach that I noted in Derby earlier this year, namely sound on leaving the fiddle yard, and off again once back in it. Wouldn't help with large loco depots/stabling points though.....

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Perhaps everyone should adopt the Charwelton approach that I noted in Derby earlier this year, namely sound on leaving the fiddle yard, and off again once back in it. Wouldn't help with large loco depots/stabling points though.....

That's exactly what is done during running sessions on Leeds City North, and previously at exhibitions and practice sessions when TheLaird still owned Bradfield (Gloucester Square). A much more civilised approach.

16 hours ago, Lochnagar said:

You are not making much sense here.

You said you didn't go...so you did let a field get in your way.

There were other options anyway. You could have parked in Loughborough or even caught the train there. It would have been a short walk to the station but the car park to Quorn was a short walk too.

You missed a good show for a silly reason.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

You are not making much sense here.

You said you didn't go...so you did let a field get in your way.

There were other options anyway. You could have parked in Loughborough or even caught the train there. It would have been a short walk to the station but the car park to Quorn was a short walk too.

You missed a good show for a silly reason.

I read it that Alex did not go as he had heard that some societies or other stands were bumped from the show in favour of higher paying box shifters. Knowing how Alex cares for his car I could understand if the parking issue would have deterred him though ;)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

However, since a trader pays for space and societies (generally) don't, most exhibition organisers must prioritise the former over the later.

I don't know about all shows or all societies but I can assure you that the Midland Railway Society paid the going rate for its stand at the GCR and does at all the shows it attends, including Warley.

Dave (chairman, MRS)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

51 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I read it that Alex did not go as he had heard that some societies or other stands were bumped from the show in favour of higher paying box shifters. Knowing how Alex cares for his car I could understand if the parking issue would have deterred him though ;)

But the organisers post a list of layouts, traders & societies was on the GC's website & that was accurate, so why not check there?Gossip on here is subject to speculation & hear say. It is always better to check the organiser's own website.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Some society stands are basically trade stands to raise funds for the group. They have a table spread with books, publications and other products to sell.

Others have a different style of stand, with either a modelling demo or static displays relating to their subject and are more about showing what the society is all about to encourage new members.

Some exhibitions seem to treat society strands as traders and others as part of the "attraction" side of the show but neither approach fits all cases.

From time to time I appear on the EMGS stand at shows and I have never been asked to pay stand rental at any of the shows I have attended.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Davexoc said:

It's a shame that the constant rattle akin to a Skellington headbanging in a biscuit tin that are tinplate layouts can't do the same...

• Funny 2

17 hours ago, Davexoc said:

This is exactly what I do with all my sound fitted locos. The Fiddle Yard is no place for sound locos to be ticking over.

I also have a depot layout and always try to have as few locos with sound on as possible. Locos never sit with the sound on for long. You can't hear the one your actually moving!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

This is exactly what I do with all my sound fitted locos. The Fiddle Yard is no place for sound locos to be ticking over.

I also have a depot layout and always try to have as few locos with sound on as possible. Locos never sit with the sound on for long. You can't hear the one your actually moving!

A few years ago I was operating a layout next to another layout - a Network Rail depot = they had a Class 47 ticking over in the yard without moving for the whole of the two days. I was somewaht unhappy by the end of the exhibition..

My sound locos aren turned off as they enter the fiddle yard.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 2

22 hours ago, Dava said:

Thanks Mark,

I spent a while admiring Merstone & St Lawrence which had a lot of activity. Look forward to Blackgang again next year!

Dava

Hello Dava

Glad you liked the smaller layout. Merstone is out again this year at 2 shows Newcastle on the weekend of 27/28th July and Tolworth Show on the weekend of 9/10th November. The Newcastle show is just Merstone as the short 20 layout on its own but at Tolworth we will have the other module to add to Merstone which is Ventnor West Terminus.

Additionally i am also to be at the Warley show with my other IOW layout Bembridge which is coming out of retirement for the Warley 2019 show. The layout is also to have a general spruce up and freshen up with new fascias, lighting rigs and tidy up the wiring.

Mark    

image.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

We always switch off as soon as the loco is off-scene. I think diesels are worse than steam or electric loco's as the racket they make while stationary is incredibly irritating - with steam you just get the odd gurgle!  There was a 4mm diesel depot at the GC show that I'm glad we were nowhere near. 

Peter

• Like 2

My partner and I(female who had never been to a model railway exhibition or heritage railway line) attended on the Sunday. There was no problem parking! The main exhibition hall Quorn was fantastic particularly the N gauge layouts. Great to see Tony Wright I have been an admirer since the first week long residential course I attended some years back. What a setting with the noises and smells of the real thing within touching distance. As a paying member of the modelling fraternity I would like to thank every one involved in this event, truly magnificent!DSC_0113.JPG.a3d7d9f102c20681337738111a44c8d3.JPG

A picture I've never seen in a modelling magazine is the dismantling or setting up, the photograph doesn't do justice that side of  modelling such as a photograph of moving steam engine doesn't do justice to the  preping a steam engine, raising steam, trimming the tender, oiling or emptying the ash.

Just as the headaches, sleepless nights coordinating planning etc doesn't go on exhibition at the exhibition.

My partner and I both had a fabulous time and look forward to the event next year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, markneilp14 said:

Hello Dava

Glad you liked the smaller layout. Merstone is out again this year at 2 shows Newcastle on the weekend of 27/28th July and Tolworth Show on the weekend of 9/10th November. The Newcastle show is just Merstone as the short 20 layout on its own but at Tolworth we will have the other module to add to Merstone which is Ventnor West Terminus.

Additionally i am also to be at the Warley show with my other IOW layout Bembridge which is coming out of retirement for the Warley 2019 show. The layout is also to have a general spruce up and freshen up with new fascias, lighting rigs and tidy up the wiring.

Mark    

image.png

What a fantastic collection of Vectis layouts, a good reason to go to Warley this year.