Old H&M Controller - Settings?

brynjames

I picked up an old H&M Duette controller at the Horsham show. The object is to use it with grandson's new Hornby layout as the supplied Hornby controller trips out when older Hornby locos are put in service (I'm told the earlier locos drew more current than the new ones).

A brief test shows it is working well, but I'm not sure what position the optional switches should be put into: the choices are full wave/ half wave, and high resistance/ low resistance.

Any advice appreciated.

--

Bryn

I picked up an old H&M Duette controller at the Horsham show. The object is to use it with grandson's new Hornby layout as the supplied Hornby controller trips out when older Hornby locos are put in service (I'm told the earlier locos drew more current than the new ones).

A brief test shows it is working well, but I'm not sure what position the optional switches should be put into: the choices are full wave/ half wave, and high resistance/ low resistance.

Any advice appreciated.

--

Bryn

Full wave for ordinary running, .....half wave for extra slow running, and resistance is set to match the motor, if it moves away with a lurch on low resistance, try it on high and vice versa., it only sets the range of control.

The HM are very tough old controllers, but make sure the lead is 100%, properly earthed, and fused, and the case has not been tampered with, for instance the snap rivets removed and screws fitted, indicating it's been opened.

They can be serviced by any electrician, but should be riveted closed afterwards for safety, as it is an earthed unit.

Stephen.

The HM are very tough old controllers, but make sure the lead is 100%, properly earthed, and fused, and the case has not been tampered with, for instance the snap rivets removed and screws fitted, indicating it's been opened.

They can be serviced by any electrician, but should be riveted closed afterwards for safety, as it is an earthed unit.

Hmmm, interesting.

Are you sure it might not be double insulated? This unit is connected with a two core cable only ( I found the brown and blue leads wired to the wrong pins on the 13A plug although that shouldn't matter too much if it truly is double insulated. No sign of funny marks on the case and the rivets seem to be original and intact. There are a number of cross headed bolts on the bottom of the case, which I presume are just for securing the internal components.

--

Bryn

• RMweb Gold

Full wave for ordinary running, .....half wave for extra slow running, and resistance is set to match the motor, if it moves away with a lurch on low resistance, try it on high and vice versa., it only sets the range of control.

Stephen.

Duettes are double insulated and must not be earthed.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, interesting.

Are you sure it might not be double insulated? This unit is connected with a two core cable only ( I found the brown and blue leads wired to the wrong pins on the 13A plug although that shouldn't matter too much if it truly is double insulated. No sign of funny marks on the case and the rivets seem to be original and intact. There are a number of cross headed bolts on the bottom of the case, which I presume are just for securing the internal components.

Bryn

The front of the case will have a "square within a square" logo, this indicates that it is double insulated

duette.jpg

Andi

Thanks folks for all the comments.

I just remembered that I had a Clipper (which looks like half a Duette) of a similar vintage in the back of the cupboard: a quick inspection shows that it also is double insulated with a front panel inscription "Class IIB double insulated".

The Duette, however, has no such front panel inscription - no mention of double insulated anywhere unlike the pictures posted above, but then equally there is no sign of any earth wire either:)

--

Bryn

Thanks folks for all the comments.

I just remembered that I had a Clipper (which looks like half a Duette) of a similar vintage in the back of the cupboard: a quick inspection shows that it also is double insulated with a front panel inscription "Class IIB double insulated".

The Duette, however, has no such front panel inscription - no mention of double insulated anywhere unlike the pictures posted above, but then equally there is no sign of any earth wire either:)

--

Bryn

I had a Duette years ago- wish I'd never parted with it, since now I'm after one again (for my son's trains, too!!) and they seem to fetch quite high prices on Ebay- especially with P&P added on!!

Re the Hornby controller; if it's the one that comes in their trainsets it's the most useless bit of kit I've ever come across- it trips at the slightest thing, and that's with a new Pendolino, never mind Thomas, Gordon etc.... also why I'm after a Duette!!

• RMweb Premium

I've also got a Duette and will hang on to it. I've used it on my Long Preston layout when the Kent Panel units go down (Which they have a habit of doing). It has never let me down and is fine for the fiddle yard but the main line with large locos is a bit beyond it for a long running session. At the moment it's being used as the test controller on Green Ayre.

Jamie

Archived