Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lenz System Information Please?

Jintyman

Hi all,

I may be making myself look very silly but I have a bit of a quandary going on at the moment.

I'm looking to upgrade my Lenz system as I currently have the LZV100 and two LH100 hand throttles.
I've been looking on the A&H Models website and have found the 20200 LZV200 Command Station for £323.00. Now I know the new Lenz 60101 Set 101 Start Set with the LH101 Throttle is now available as well, but what is the difference between the two systems please? I know you get the LH101 with the Set 101, but there is only circa £30 difference in price between the two, and the LZV200 doesn't come with a throttle.
Either way I'll be powering with the TR150 transformer.

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman

• RMweb Gold

I assume you mean Lenz in the title and not Lens - worth correcting to ensure search arguments work in the future.

There's no difference: the SET101 contains the same LZV200 as the standalone purchase and I don't really understand the Lenz pricing. A&H have SET101 for £365 but you can buy cheaper elsewhere, eg Model Railways Direct for £292. 

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

I have used Lenz for as long as it has been available in the UK.

I have yet to see what advantage might be conferred by moving to the newer version.

I think it may be just the word "New".

John K

The LZV200 and LH101 bring a few new features to essentially the same Lenz SET100  (LZV100 + LH100) system.

SET101 can be found for £290

LZV200 can be found for £247

LH101 can also be found for £132

There is also a trade-in offer, which lowers the cost of an upgrade, but you have to hand back your existing kit and won't be able to sell it on yourself, or have it as a spare or second system.

Ron

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, John K said:

I have used Lenz for as long as it has been available in the UK.

I have yet to see what advantage might be conferred by moving to the newer version.

I think it may be just the word "New".

John K

What I get by purchasing SET101 (LZV200 + LH101) is

. Global Railcom detector

. Much improved LH101 handset - my LH100 is showing its age now

. Built-in PC interface

. 6-year guarantee

. Base for further upgrades

The subsequent sale of my LZV100, LH100 and possibly 23151 LAN/USB interface should greatly reduce the overall cost. Obviously for anyone not interested in PC operation or Railcom there's little new to justify the cost.

As already reported elsewhere, the issue with not recognizing occupancy detectors is yet to be resolved. 

• Like 1

Anyone wishing to upgrade, or buy the system from scratch, might be better off waiting a while, until Lenz sort the problems out.

Usually cast iron quality and reliability, but Lenz are some way behind the drag curve in DCC systems these days.

They are not alone, with the leading US brands (Digitrax, NCE, MRC & CVP) all still churning out, warmed over and only slightly updated systems, dating from 15 to almost 20 years ago.

Ron

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the info 

Yes I'm yet to understand the Lenz pricing structure.

A Set101 for me then once they've ironed out the bugs.

Is the handset trade in offer still on (LH100 for LH101)?

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Jintyman said:

Thanks for the info 

Yes I'm yet to understand the Lenz pricing structure.

A Set101 for me then once they've ironed out the bugs.

Is the handset trade in offer still on (LH100 for LH101)?

Yes the trade-in is still on, though up to you to decide whether the cost is right for you: €89 + your cost to send it to Germany, or buy one for £132 (eg Model Railways Direct) and sell your LH100 on Ebay. 

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

Like John K, I have had a trusted Lenz system for some years which continues to do all I ask of it flawlessly. There are quite possibly systems out there now with maybe friendlier user interfaces but until mine decides to call it a day, I'll stick resolutely with it.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Right Away said:

Like John K, I have had a trusted Lenz system for some years which continues to do all I ask of it flawlessly. There are quite possibly systems out there now with maybe friendlier user interfaces but until mine decides to call it a day, I'll stick resolutely with it.

Yes I've had a Set100 since 2004, and in 2015 it went wrong, fixed for free by Lenz in Germany and upgraded free too!!! All I had to pay was postage.

All this, 11 years after purchase, now that's what you call customer service!!!

It went wrong again in December 2018, and as Lenz no longer have replacement boards for the LZV100, it looked terminal.

I managed to come across another Set 100 system just after the New Year, and purchased it without hesitation.

So I now have an LZV100 and two LH100's, coupled with a Roco Multimaus handset.

I believe in Lenz to provide both reliability and an excellent customer service. Their system may not have any frills, or any modern gimmicks, but it is, I personally believe, just about the best, solid, reliable and durable system out there.

So all that said, I will still be upgrading my system to the Set101 in due course (The LZV100 will become a back-up) and I will get my Touch Cab working too for some wireless operation.

Thank you all again for your concise information, it is appreciated.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1