Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Most Enjoyable Exhibition?

2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

Rather than list wherever we have been lucky enough to be invited, may I ask, what are the essential elements that ensure that an exhibiting experience is enjoyable?

Although subjective in its nature, surely there is some common ground?

In no particular of merit:- 

1. Distance

2. Easy access

3. Safe and comfortable accommodation

4. Timely agreed expenses

5. Exhibition venue environment

6. Appreciative and engaging audience

Rarely have we encountered all these but four out of six is a good average, with grim memories of an occasion when just one.

Cheers

Jack

You've forgotten - time after the show closes on Saturday night to effect repairs/maintenance. Too many shows I've been to where the exhibitors get thrown out with indecent haste. By the time Sunday morning comes round, forgotten what it was needed doing.

Guest Jack Benson
6 minutes ago, Tim V said:

You've forgotten - time after the show closes on Saturday night to effect repairs/maintenance. Too many shows I've been to where the exhibitors get thrown out with indecent haste. By the time Sunday morning comes round, forgotten what it was needed doing.

The list was merely a few ideas collated from almost fifty years of exhibiting in the UK and the continent. 

Cheers

Jack

A lot depends if you are attending as an exhibitor or a visitor.

I regularly attend Scalefour North at Wakefield from Bristol with a group of friends, and pay for an overnight, curry and a few excellent beers.

I have attended Utrecht as an exhibitor twice which took some organising of logistics. Both times well looked after and an appreciative audience.

The Utrecht show is at least three times the size of Warley.

Some shows do not have any control over catering as that is provided by the venue's in house caterers who are not always up to the job.

Gordon A

Guest Jack Benson
1 hour ago, Tim V said:

It is a good list - I merely added to it!

Tim,

Perhaps the most important factor is the desire to actually be part of the event, not much fun otherwise. 

Cheers

Jack

12 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Safe and comfortable accommodation

I think that is a really important one, particularly if you have travelled a long way. If you've had a long journey, have unloaded and set up, and then subsequently spent 8 hours a day on your feet, the least you can hope for is comfortable accommodation. Nobody expects The Ritz, just a clean, comfortable and friendly place to crash after a heavy day. 

I must admit I've had a few 'interesting' experiences in this front..... Obviously won't name names but I will never forget the time we were traipsing along a windswept seafront trying to find a b&b after midnight, with very limited details, including not having the correct name of the digs or any contact details, having been left high and dry by the exhibition organisers. Of course, when we eventually found the place we were locked out! The accommodation experience got no better over the weekend, with an officious landlady and pretty questionable culinary delights. I suppose it's all character building mind..... ultimately, we enjoyed the weekend despite all of this and can look back at it now with a laugh!! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

It's the folks public and exhibitors alike that make the gig happen.

Narrow gauge north was one of those that I got chatting with quite a lot of people I know along with some exhibitors who started the conversation.

I like York, Wakefield and the Ebor gigs for different ambience.    My home gig is Middleton Railway - this year I'm on operator duty and transporting one of the other exhibitors.  Blatant plug 13 & 14 July 2019.

• Like 1