Small GWR station

yeah a small station is what im after and in 00 scale. bovey looks nice, as does the castle cary one. I made one of ther ratio craftsman kits ages ago, found it quite unsatisfying, is this ratio one all pre cut ala their goods shed (which i found a delight to build..mine has lights and a full interior now)

yeah a small station is what im after and in 00 scale. bovey looks nice, as does the castle cary one. I made one of ther ratio craftsman kits ages ago, found it quite unsatisfying, is this ratio one all pre cut ala their goods shed (which i found a delight to build..mine has lights and a full interior now)

The craftsman kits are made by Wills and are approx half way between scratch building and a kit but the Ratio should be easy to build if it is like the rest of there range.

The Ratio Station is a typical quality plastic kit, but none the worst for that, after all it is the standard of finish and fine detailing that makes to model, and interiors and extra detailing can be added to the Ratio, lighting, details like luggage, barrows, figures, seats, all add the final touches.

Custom painting, carefully picking out brick and stone courses, highlighting with dry brush or airbrush, totally matt finish from Testors Dullcote or equivalent, nicely glazed windows, some open etc., you can spend as much time on a kit of this type as a wood kit or scratch built.

Scalelink do sheets of brass etched details, railings, seats, gratings etc, and Langley and Dart do ticket machines and vending machines for platforms. Add enamel adverts, GWR signage, phone lines, and you will be more detailed than many scratchbuilt structures, and for very little effort to get there.

Stephen

Is the kit of Mortimer station building (on the Basingstoke-Reading line) still available as a Heljan kit via Knightwing?

Edit: 1) Yes it is, but it's only a small waiting shelter and 2) Oops! It's a Pola kit, not Heljan! My mistake. This also means that unlike Heljan's British building kits, it's 3.5mm:ft not 4mm:ft. :(

David

Hey, I am looking for a small GWR station building for my little layout. whats the recomendations? are there any decent kits, or is it better to scratch build

These are available from C&L:

gwsba2.jpggwrsheda02.jpg

gwwr3.jpgpwr034.jpg

those finescale ones are lovely

i think i might scratch build, i need to find some plans of buildings though, i think i might build something based on the gwr station at buckfastleigh.

I will add some photos of what ive built in time

It's quite long in the tooth now, but don't overlook the Dapol plastic kit, easily lends itself to modifications and detailing. Not sure of its provenance though - it may be generic or based on an actual structure like the church (Old St. Boniface, Bonchurch, IoW), signal box (Oakham, Rutland) or platform canopy (a Southern example, I'm led to believe) kits.

David

Archived