Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Decalfix for applying transfers

I have been applying various makes of transfers over the years just using water .This time I thought I would try Decalfix by Humbrol . I put some in a dish and allowed them to sit for a couple of minutes .They did curl up but went straight again .I sat them on my model but they started to curl up .I left them for a while but they were still curled up .I used more Decalfix to spread them out and then soaked up the access .But after a few minutes they had curled up again .Even after 20 minutes they were still curling on the edges. I finished up removing the transfer .Good job there was some spare on the sheet. Any help please .By the way they were Railtec transfers .

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Malcolm Orme said:

................ By the way they were Railtec transfers .

It’s interesting that you’ve had this problem with Railtec transfers. Just recently I’ve had the same problem of Railtec decals curling and I was only using them with water, so the problem may not be due to the Decalfix.

In the end, the only way I could get the transfers to stick was to apply them using gloss varnish as a glue.

David

Edited by Kylestrome

2 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

It’s interesting that you’ve had this problem with Railtec transfers. Just recently I’ve had the same problem of Railtec decals curling and I was only using them with water, so the problem may not be due to the Decalfix.

In the end, the only way I could get the transfers to stick was to apply them using gloss varnish as a glue.

David

It's equally surprising and disappointing to read this on a public forum despite the accompanying instruction sheet sheet clearly stating, "Any issues? Please email us as the first port of call and at least give us the opportunity to resolve", unless of course there was a specific reason for not doing so...

It's entirely probable that there's something unique to the environment, storage or specific method that would be the cause of such a basic issue, else it's pretty fair to say the inbox would have been lighting up for all the wrong reasons the past few years if someone's tap water were not compatible with the waterslide transfers.

Most curious. Perhaps you'd both be good enough to contact me offline with details of actual order numbers (as I can't currently find any relating to the limited user info here) and specific batch numbers from the sheets so I can gladly assist and offer advice for you both going forward. Samples from every single batch run are purposely retained here on site for any such eventuality.

Steve
Railtec Transfers

See what sets Railtec apart!
http://www.railtec-transfers.com/railtec-benefits.php

Need a resprayer? Check out the Railtec Community:
http://www.railtec-models.com/community.php

Web: http://www.railtec-transfers.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RailtecTransfers
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/railtectransfers/

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I have been doing resprays for quite a while now and, in the main, used Railtec, my latest being 50049 and 56103, the latter being a large decal.

The only problem I have ever had was my own mistake and quickly received a replacement from Steve.

I never use Humbrol Decalfix as it completely melted one of my Fox transfers a few years ago. I follow the instruction sheet that comes with my decals from Railtec and ensure I am applying them to a good gloss coat. For large decals on corrugated sides as per 66 and 67 I add some PVA to water to assist decal adhering to corrugations.

For large decals on slab sided locos I sometimes ensure as much water drained off decal as possible and then position and slide off backing sheet onto a wet coating of Johnson’s Klear. This also ensures no carrier is visible once dry.

Hope this information assists and you can see some of my work in layouts section under Parkway.

John

I always use a good gloss base for any decals, and never Humbrol products these days, I seem to remember Decal FIx or Gloss Coat eating transfers a few years back.

Apply to a good dry gloss base, mop up excess water, leave to dry fully, then add a gloss sealing coat.  I don't have any problems any more.  

I've only used Railtec decals a couple of times but I'm mightily impressed and looking forward to using more regularly in future.

Joe

I have tried 3 time to contact Railtec .I fill in the form press send and nothing happens .I have used Railtec for years with no problems ,but now I have one and cant contact them so dont blame me if Railtecs online contact is not working. I have since tried just water but still had a problem with curl but not so bad  .I have maneged to get all the small ones fitted with no problems .But I have  ruined 2 of the large numbers so have to get a full set . I had the transfers a few weeks back from Railtec stall at the DEMU show at Swadlincote so there not old . I will of course NOT be useing Decalfix again .But still never had this problem just useing water as well before .

Malc

Thanks for the info. The online contact form is working fine; if there's an issue then it is most likely something unique to the client environment such as browser, cache or the device being used. Years ago it used to get tested via an automated script every several hours but these days there's no need as it gets hammered well enough by everyone organically, and if something were amiss then it would quickly become apparent by a sudden cease of any incoming contact via that channel.

I see you've managed to email in and make contact just fine yesterday evening, so I'll respond privately to that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tend to use just water for Railtec transfers, and I have always had a good result so far. They seem to be a little different from some other transfers in that they seem not to show the backing film once dry (at least so far as I can tell); I am not sure how compatible that they are with Decalfix.

I have only used Railtec transfers once (their range generally doesn't cover my requirements).  I applied them using Microset and Microsol and didn't have any problems. 

I have found that some transfers curl up if you apply excessive amounts of these fluids especially the 'stronger' one (Microsol in this case)

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1