Aldwarke Scrap Wagon Dimensions

Locksley

On 08/07/2019 at 18:31, hmrspaul said:

Very nice indeed. The ones at Stocksbridge had internal cradles to carry pencil moulds https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/stocksbridgewagons/e315f55e7

The Steel Company of Wales also had these wagons - but I don't have photos of them.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I'll add those in for the next print! Had a quick look through the rest of your Stocksbridge album and those ingot carriers are just screaming at me. They should be easy enough to model and small/uncomplicated enough to print really nicely.

I got one of the larger scrap wagons done the other night, the print came out a little warped and I need to tweak the thickness of the ends a bit as they are quite fragile, as well as the vertical and horizontal ribbing as they're not quite wide enough, but I'm pretty pleased with it tbh.

IMG_20190709_204714-01.jpeg.2e4af53a576e31ddaae61a52004f6ce2.jpeg

The Lackenby scrap carrier should have just completed its first test print so I'll get that cleaned up and checked out after work, it looked pretty good from what I could see of it this morning.

Edited by Locksley
  • Like 3

The Lackenby scrap carrier came out pretty nice, although again slightly warped, I just need to get to the bottom of why it's happening. I also threw together a Stocksbridge Ingot wagon which I tried printing with the upper surface directly on the build plate. This one ended up perfectly square with no warping whatsoever, though I have increased the size of the details a tad as they came out too faint, but I'm now wondering whether I can modify the other wagons so I can print those directly on the plate too.

CollageMaker_20190712_071044368.jpg.97e9e69b33987c9a5e34e80412dcdf1a.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice to see such interesting work. Industrial railways have been long overlooked - or more precisely anything other than the Locos - as the IRS io group has incredible amounts about locos but falls over about rolling stock (apart from D Monk-Steel interventions) track layouts etc.

The Bolton Railway Wagon & Iron Works flat is very nice. Corby had cradles on them for ingots https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bsccorby/eb300843d

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The advert from the Railway Gazette for the Bolton Railway Wagon & Ironworks company.

The Tunnel Cement tipplers were used at Tring and were photographed by

Paul https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/pitstonetring

I understand that two are preserved.

The Bolton Railway Wagon & Ironworks company advert.jpg

You do wonder who the target audience for that advert is..

Does anyone else remember the '600 Group', an agglomeration of various engineering, metal-bashing and other companies? They used to advertise everything from modular scaffolding to complete narrow-gauge railways. As a child, I used to await the arrival of their catalogue with almost as much anticipation as that from Triang-Hornby, even if I could never convince my father that a narrow-gauge railway would make his sites much more efficient.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

More good stuff chaps, thanks. Been on holiday for a couple of weeks but back at it now. I have a few wheel sets on order so will post some pics of the Stocksbridge ingot carrier once it's complete and on the tracks. I also bit the bullet on a Janus yeasterday as Hattons had a decent deal on them at £50. My plan is to modify and respray it as Aldwarke #30 as seen in a few of Paul's photos from last year. It's a bit modern, but it does have a nice debadged 'TATA Steel' logo on the cabside which should be fun to replicate, as well as scope to draw up and print the radiator louvres, side door vent thingies, and some light units on the cab roof, probably amongst other stuff. Should be here today so I'm hoping to crack on with it straight away.

I managed to get most of the parts drawn up for Aldwarke #30 yesterday.

The parts list so far:

Radiator Louvre Covers

Bonnet Door Vents

Cabside Marker Lights

Cabside Info Tray

Cabside Makers Plate

Cab Roof Beacon Lights & Power Supply

Cab Roof Directional (?) Lights

Bufferbeam Jacking Points

Larger Diameter Buffers 

Battery Box

Railings

I've now printed a majority of that list with decent success, just a few slight tweaks needed here and there. I even attempted a print of the railings by laying them flat on the build plate, and tbh they actually came out fairly nice. Without post-curing the resin they remain quite flexible and I'm hoping a shot of paint will prevent any further UV light curing them completely and making them brittle. The issue will be how easily it will be to attach them to the model as the railings on a Janus are very exposed and likely to be knocked easily. The cabside info tray (which appears to hold a sheet of paper stating that the loco is 'OK to use') printed out fine despite being no more than 3mm high, though the basic makers plate I drew up was too small for any text to be legible but will still do the job.

I'm still in two minds about modifying the bufferbeams, on the prototype the lifting eyes are at the top of the beam rather than halfway down as per the model, but although the eyes themselves are plastic and easily removed, they do have a moulded in base plate that would be a pain to grind off the diecast chassis. There's a also a cutout with grab rails on each side of the model for the front and rear steps which is not present on the real thing so I may fill that in too.

I'll whack out a final test print tonight but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Pics soon!

I got the Aldwarke Janus conversion kit finalised over the weekend. A few parts have ended up slightly overscale but I'm getting towards the limits of the printer, or rather what is practical to print - much smaller and things just become a nightmare to clean up and fit. The body and chassis is now ready for a primer coat and paint, I still need to try another print of the railings but I'm hopeful I can get some decent results with them. Plus they only take 10 mins to print so it's nice and easy to bang out a test. I also want to have a look to see if I can do a plug for the NEM socket, the real loco has what looks like a rubber strip behind the coupling chain and I'm sort of wondering if I can incorporate that, and potentially even a dummy coupling chain into the plug.

There are a few sacrifices I think I'm going to have to make as i don't really fancy doing any major surgery to the model. The loco appears to have had its exhaust shrouds removed leaving just the bare pipe sticking up however these are very solidly moulded into the cab so removing them wouldn't be particularly trivial. There's also a few details around the bufferbeams like the lifting eyes being further up, the cut out for the small hand rails on each end of the beam aren't there, and there's a flat cutout at the bottom of the beam at each side on the prototype too (that one actually wouldn't be that difficult).

If anyone would be interested in a set of parts please do let me know, I am considering offering this as a kit on Etsy.

IMG_20190804_211340-01.jpeg.9bef35cf31e2ce6ef1b22874655d0c87.jpeg

IMG_20190804_211325-01.jpeg.d187e836c8d0385af23a45829b474006.jpeg

• Like 2

So when I said I wasn't going to do any complicated surgery to this model, what I actually meant was I'm going to do ALL the complicated surgery to this model...

Exhaust shrouds are removed and replaced with pipes, lifting eyes have been moved upwards and the remains of the old location ground off and filled, the small side rails at each end of the buffer beams have been filled, and the bottom profile of the beams filed to match photos. Phew.

Still need to fade the TATA decal and do a bit more detail painting. I printed off a second set of railings which actually look pretty good, I just need to reprint one of them due to layer shift, and I've decided to reprint the side (tool? battery?) boxes as the handles I put on looked ridiculous so I'm trying some added as part of the print, along with a pair of wheel chocks on top of one of them which can be seen in some photos of #30.

IMG_20190806_153719-01.jpeg.6e9acf915446dbfd9496a2903ec32ba8.jpeg

I've also found some suitable small baseboard material (125cm x 32cm) in our garage that was kindly left by the previous owners so I'm thinking up some designs for an Aldwarke based layout. Currently I'm planning to do the line that runs down the length of the Finishing Banks, with the building side as the backscene, as there's plenty of scope for interesting 3d printed details such as access stairs, downpipes, vents etc. Using Google Maps' incredibly handy point to point measuring tool that I only just found out about yesterday I figured I should be able to split the building into 20cm long sections and be able to fit almost exactly 6 on each baseboard at scale length. This gives me scope to potentially build another 4 baseboards and have the entirety of the Finishing banks but at nearly 6m long I think that's probably unlikely lol. But hey there's 4 more boards in the garage...

Capture.JPG.f7b5960d530fa7c702f861959100b2a1.JPG

I'm still unsure about track plan, in real life there's only a single line which could give an interesting and slightly different layout but would ultimately be boring as hell to operate for more than 2 mins, so I'm tempted to at the very least add a fictional loop into the mix. Regardless, the 32cm wide baseboard gives me plenty of room for the building, 1 or 2 tracks, and at least the roadway next to it. I've preliminarily purchased a few Scalescenes scratchbuilders packs - the modern brick, white siding, doors, and 2 concrete texture for the road - so my plan is to have a go at building one 20cm section of the backscene just to see how it goes. I've been so impressed with the Scalescenes boxfile layout I'm very excited to see how well the packs work for other buildings too.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

And that's the Janus complete. I'm not 100% happy with the weathering compared to how my Sentinel turned out but it should look the part when I get the layout sorted. Plus it still runs which is always a bonus.

IMG_20190808_221138-01.jpeg.910448f48465ddbd5af4ddd284245599.jpeg

IMG_20190808_221229-01.jpeg.91f91a104fc5c8ad97fb1336946fa2c3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1