• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Since the previous photos of Bob Edwardes' M Shed diorama didn't make it through the crash, here's some more recent ones.

The older S&P cranes are made by Bob from resin castings as are the vessels.

6F303B8E-B595-4CF9-9A9C-D635B783742E_1_105_c.jpeg.d9e215862b44e223bce03b65a78675f9.jpeg

9FFD3B2E-AC4E-46AA-A5AA-819000CCC77C_1_105_c.jpeg.be25f8110a4ce1372acf308c2371a2bf.jpeg

D5BFF49F-556F-4E87-B6A8-F8C5EB5B869F_1_105_c.jpeg.228c1b09bc9fb07ed8b6ed5bacff7f09.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

@Corbs I believe you mentioned your outfit was doing a crane kit.  Did anything come of that?  Was that someone else?

It's on the cards but very difficult - intention is to have it laser cut. Bob's cranes are resin cast but we don't think the jibs etc. would stand up to being posted.

The new DD2s he's done might be an easier posting prospect, we shall see.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Another thread suffering badly from loss of images - all those wonderful dockside crane pictures, gone! 😭

Unless anyone has the time or inclination to restore them, of course!

Meanwhile, after a FaceBook group post alerted me to it, I have just spent £38.99 (free postage) on a 3D print as follows…

17C77BB9-4596-40F7-9BBB-19F0F540BDEC.jpeg.6285fe7f702848f016273c7f147c56c5.jpeg

For an extra couple of quid, you can get a motorised version!

Now, we’ve all complained about a lack of a kit for a suitable dockside crane and here at last someone has done the R&D to produce one. How accurate is it? I have no idea, but it looks right and I can’t wait to see how it builds!

And at less than the cost of many new RTR coaches, I think it is a bargain!

Will update in due course!

HOURS OF LEVEL LUFFING FUN!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Clarity!!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/04/2023 at 11:48, SteveyDee68 said:

Another thread suffering badly from loss of images - all those wonderful dockside crane pictures, gone! 😭

Unless anyone has the time or inclination to restore them, of course!

Meanwhile, after a FaceBook group post alerted me to it, I have just spent £38.99 (free postage) on a 3D print as follows…

17C77BB9-4596-40F7-9BBB-19F0F540BDEC.jpeg.6285fe7f702848f016273c7f147c56c5.jpeg

For an extra couple of quid, you can get a motorised version!

Now, we’ve all complained about a lack of a kit for a suitable dockside crane and here at last someone has done the R&D to produce one. How accurate is it? I have no idea, but it looks right and I can’t wait to see how it builds!

And at less than the cost of many new RTR coaches, I think it is a bargain!

Will update in due course!

HOURS OF LEVEL LUFFING FUN!

Interesting Stevey. From the height of the legs  it actually looks more like a dockyard (ship repairer, naval dockyard  etc) than a  cargo handling crane but definitely seems to be rigged for Toplis level luffing and should be adaptable. I don't think it's a Stothert and Pitt design though it does seem to be using somethnig like their crank design for luffing the jib rather than a winch. It looks the part mre than the old Airfix/Dapol travelling portal crane.

Dockyard cranes needed more height in order to lift machinery in and out of engine rooms etc.  than those used in ports for general cargo handling which mostly just had to clear the holds and any deck cargo and probably didn't want the cabin to be too high above the work.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 1 month later...

I’m no model maker myself (lacking the holy trinity of time, talent and patience), but I have in the past spent many hours playing with Stothert & Pitt dock cranes, both the DD2 and the earlier crank luffing types. 

You people who do wish to make a model or two may find this drawing useful. 

IMG_6366.jpeg

Edited by GSB
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2