The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Laws on barbies garden fire pits etc

Owd Bob

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Shouldn't put Barbie's in or on a Fire Pit - that's burning plastic which is prohibited, plus your children may also be none too happy by you burning their toys

I'm breaking the law virtually every time I try to solder wires? Always seem to end up burning plastic when I do that...

On 02/07/2019 at 00:02, TheSignalEngineer said:

Something to clear any crowd (well, almost any) is a recording of Francis McPeake singing Wild Mountain Thyme made by Peter Kennedy when collecting folk songs in Ireland in 1952. It was recorded in the kitchen of a house in Belfast and all of the participants appear to be well under the influence of the Hard Stuff. Not the easiest of listening!!

I'm Irish, and this would drive me crazy.

I like the idea of playing music back, loud. A more subtly deterrent might be a Mosquito device, but be aware. I have an app that generates sound at different frequencies that does the same thing.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/07/2019 at 00:02, TheSignalEngineer said:

Something to clear any crowd (well, almost any) is a recording of Francis McPeake singing Wild Mountain Thyme made by Peter Kennedy when collecting folk songs in Ireland in 1952. It was recorded in the kitchen of a house in Belfast and all of the participants appear to be well under the influence of the Hard Stuff. Not the easiest of listening!!

One problem with using truly rubbish material is it becomes harder to defend yourself against accusations you are deliberately retaliating.

If on the other hand you use decent music (Wagner say) then you can claim you are merely enjoying fine classical music.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Here in Australia some people use gas BBQ's or charcoal type BBQ's or the traditional wood usually gathered from gum trees in their garden. Hot summer days may seem ideal but if it's very hot with a hot dry wind, then there's often a total fire ban and anything with a sustained naked flame outside is prohibited. A Chinese family often used to have a burn off and they'd try to burn green garden cuttings or even wet green garden cuttings. There would be a thick column of choking smoke rising into the air and if we got a southerly wind the Chinese wife would go nuts at her husband because all the smoke from his fire was blown into their house. That all happened long before leaf litter was used for mulch which helps to stop the soil from drying out. Not a problem that you have in the UK.

• RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2019 at 22:50, woodenhead said:

plus your children may also be none too happy by you burning their toys

Quite so. My wife still clearly remembers the day, that her older sister burnt all her toys. Her sister doesn't remember doing so, but my wife certainly does!