RMweb

Apollo 11 - 50th Anniversary

MPR

• RMweb Premium

With the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 almost upon us, I was pleased to see that a cinema local to me (Dartington) is showing the new documentary about the mission during the week of 19-25th July. The film is newly restored and is unfamiliar because it was shot in 70mm  for an abandoned project to create a film to be shown at Expos and other large screen venues. It is certainly being shown at IMAX cinemas if you are lucky enough to have one nearby. Otherwise, try playing the trailer linked below on the biggest screen you find with the sound turned up! 

https://youtu.be/RSTucPDS0-8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• Moderators

Disappointingly few cinemas screening around these parts but I'm determined to see it. May just wait for Blu-Ray as I'll keep wanting to re-watch bits.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This and my 50th birthday are pretty close together, so I might make a special trip to an IMAX in London to see it to celebrate both :)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Saw Apollo 11 at Dartington Arts Cinema tonight. Fantastic footage and  unbelievable tension, even knowing how it played out. Thoroughly recommended.

• RMweb Gold

A few of us went to see it a supposedly IMAX screening. When we got there, it was just on a normal screen. We'd already paid for the tickets so the choice was either watch it or get a refund, and since we'd all travelled some way we went for the former. In hindsight it was very good and I'm not convinced it would have been all that better on an IMAX screen.

Does anyone remember where the astronauts are when Nixon phones them? My wife and I both thought that the documentary had them back in the capsule, whereas another film we saw around the same time shows them (correctly) to still be on the surface in their suits. I can't imagine they got it wrong in Apollo 11 so it must be a weird case of both of us mis-remembering.

• RMweb Premium

Another recommendation is  First Man , you can get it on DVD or no doubt Netflx. Obviously concentrates on Neil Armstrong but it is very atmospheric bringing out what it must have been like sitting in a cramped capsule on your back , with 100s of tonnes of rocket fuel beneath you .  The Gemini 8 blast of scene is terrific , as well , of course as the Apollo 11 take off and the bit where they open up the lunar module door and actually see the surface of the moon , that they are shortly going to stand on . Brilliantly shot.