LHR to Euston journey times

Liam

4 hours ago, 47164 said:

Hopefully not being rude, but I would first think about the need for a large suitcase, if you can live with a small carry on case you will save loads of time!!

Unfortunately a small case/rucksack isn't very suitable for eight days of lots of manual work in southern France, with up to 35C heat and lots of changing of clothes necessary! 

Have you considered the GWR route to Worcester Shrub Hill or perhaps Evesham ? 

Not too far from Redditch (about the same journey time to Evesham as to International) for a lift home and would avoid using the underground. Just change off the HEX at Paddington. 

I accept the door to door time may be longer than via Euston, but I would rather take longer with less, stressful connections. 

You should be able to make the 2022hrs with  good run through the airport  failing that the 2148hrs for extra leeway

Andy

Edited by SM42

That's a possibility, but I think I'd prefer to stick with Euston and get home quickly. 

I am reliably informed that getting from Heathrow T5 to Euston via the Piccadilly line and a change to the Victoria line at Green Park should take an hour, and while a bit longer than HEX and Bakerloo to Oxford Circus the Piccadilly is more frequent (6ph as opposed to 4ph for HEX) and costs £3-£4 instead of £25 for HEX. 

• RMweb Premium

It’s also pretty unreliable. I’d do HEX all day long rather than battle with the Piccadilly. But that’s already been said.

As for your luggage; 35 degree heat = shorts and t-shirts, which aren’t bulky, surely you can lob half a dozen of each in a bag and just wash them? Don’t underestimate the time you’ll lose at baggage reclaim. You’re surely not taking 16+ changes of clothes? Do you even own 16 pairs of shorts?!

• Like 1

No I don't thankfully, and having looked at the weather forecast it actually looks to be a bit cooler - around 28C maximum. I certainly will take some T shirts and shorts, but we've been instructed to wear collar shirts and a tie during the daytime, and on some occasions a jacket. Though I will be taking a smaller case than originally intended, as I believe I can compress my luggage and not take a heavy case.

• RMweb Premium

Already plenty of advice and opinion on this thread but I'll add my sixpenn'th as a regular traveller in the area concerned.

Allow AT LEAST an hour from touchdown to exiting Heathrow.  It can take 20 minutes to the gate, another 20 to bag reclaim and another 20 to clear customs.  Then there's the hike to your escape route which can be another 10 minutes.

If using an Oyster Card then it's the Pickled Willie Line into Town for which allow another full hour. You can change at Green Park (to Northbound Victoria Line) or Leicester Square (to Northbound Northern Line) and there's not really much in it time wise.  The Victoria Line runs slightly more frequently.

Then there's the unknown quantity of your actual landing time.  The best laid plans of mice and travelling men are upset by air delays which can be in the order of hours though a few minutes can mean the difference between a caught and a missed onward connection.

I would give it 2 1/2 hours from scheduled landing to departing Euston and a little more if you can.  Better to have time to kill than nails to bite.

In other news I recently offered travel advice for family departing Twickenham to Seattle and instructed they board the 490 bus direct to Heathrow at a specific time to give generous allowance for traffic and check-in.  They decided this was too much, departed an hour and a half later and missed their flight ......... 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, SVRlad said:

That's a possibility, but I think I'd prefer to stick with Euston and get home quickly.

I don't think there is anything major planned, but the WCML has been having alot of possessions from early evening recently at Wembly, Watford, Linslade and Weedon to name a few. This often results in Pendos running with 350s and often via Northampton.

Whenever I have flown back into LHR and am going home from K+ on the train I allow at least 3 hours from the scheduled landing time.

1 hour to get bag and get through passport control. 

As above 1 hour on tube from LHR to K+ similar if going to Euston

The extra hour is often not needed but I often include more so that I can get a drink and meal before catching the train.

If money is no objective buy an open ticket so that you can get whatever train you want.  If plane is late you are unable to travel on a later train.  Once coming back from  Europe on Eurostar I missed a booked train from the cross but got onto the next without any quibbles as I had proof of travelling by another train.

• 2 weeks later...

So currently sat in Toulouse departure lounge about to head to the gate. The plane is running to schedule, and all being well I should be able to catch the 19:32 tube from Heathrow T5, which will get me to Euston in one hour including a change at Green Park for the Victoria line.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Good service on all lines according to TfL. Good luck. 

Which of course excludes the non-Circle Line as discussed above.  No matter what they do that seems to be terminally sporadic in operation and is no doubt the victim (more than those lines with which it shares some tracks) of the many flat junctions along the way.  

It was suggested at the time the present Q-shaped line was proposed that the status quo be not interfered with namely six trains each way running around the circle but regulated to give the most even service interval possible rather than attempting to maintain a 10-minute headway to a set timetable.

That was felt to be too hard and there was (and is) a need to provide more trains on the H&C between Paddington and Hammersmith.

Everything was successful in the end. I was pretty nifty in making my way through the snorkel and to UK Border Force, but apparently 17 years old is not old enough to use the e-barrier if travelling by yourself (which I wasn't but I was on my own at that particular moment). Having got through immigration, I collected my suitcase and after a very quick goodbye to the rest of the group rushed down to the tube but unfortunately just missed the 19:12 by the skin of my teeth.

I waited for the 19:22, and after changing at Green Park arrived into Euston around 20:25, making my booked train, and a pleasant journey to Birmingham International ensued, arriving home at 22:45. 

• Like 4