RMweb

Oyster style ticketing coming to Greater Manchester

Metrolink only, according to the article. To be like London, it needs to be rolled out across all public transport modes. A good first step, though; they already have the tap in/tap out terminals on the metro, and on the barriers at some of the central stations, I used them with my old fogies' pass a couple of weeks ago.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Metrolink only, according to the article. To be like London, it needs to be rolled out across all public transport modes. A good first step, though; they already have the tap in/tap out terminals on the metro, and on the barriers at some of the central stations, I used them with my old fogies' pass a couple of weeks ago.

The plan is to extend to buses and trains, it's in the article.

Buses already accept contactless but are probably not in the place to accept an Oyster style system seeing as they are dispute with the Mayor at present over his plan to regulate and then put in place a London style solution of franchised services.

• Informative/Useful 1

I just don't think you can do the Oyster-style card without some form of regulation of the buses, IMHO. The only way you could get both First and Stagecoach to accept it, never mind the smaller operators. I understand that First would like to ditch their bus operations in Greater Manchester.

8 hours ago, 62613 said:

I just don't think you can do the Oyster-style card without some form of regulation of the buses, IMHO. The only way you could get both First and Stagecoach to accept it, never mind the smaller operators. I understand that First would like to ditch their bus operations in Greater Manchester.

iirc they have already put one garage and its routes up for sale .also have noticed stagecoach route learning buses  on the 350/53/4/5  so looks like they are taking more of tamesides routes 

2 hours ago, peanuts said:

iirc they have already put one garage and its routes up for sale .also have noticed stagecoach route learning buses  on the 350/53/4/5  so looks like they are taking more of tamesides routes 

I think it's two garages now and Stagecoach are on the offensive with the PR about what a disaster regulation will be.

The Mayor's opinion is that regulation is what we need, I agree with him especially if it unifies ticketing.

• Like 1