Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Van with crane , Anybody know it’s origin ?

rob D2

Hi,

Anybody know what the origin of this van is ? Would be a good project to go with the new hattons crane.guesses so far are CCT, fruit D and one of the VBA , VAA group. Not my photo , taken from Flickr rights rest with photographer , who I attempted to contact.

5446C103-800F-4351-A5AF-75724E5383EB.png

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the suspension, I'd say it definitely started off as an air braked vehicle but it could be converted from a van or a complete rebody on a recycled underframe.

It looks a bit short/wide/low compared to a normal freight van, but that could be down to what lens the photographer used to take the photo.

John

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

Does that say "STAFT" ? .... or am I being DAFT ?

Probably better to sat 'Staff' than to say 'Mess' - it is presumably a staff/mess van (or use on site rather than travelling purposes I would have thought?).

There does seem to be some telephoto distortion in the picture as Reading panel building in the background does look a bit out of proportion

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Ok , I think you good folks have got it .

a ferry cct motorvan.

never heard of it - Is the chassis same as a regular cct

Nope - shorter.

In fact, the van in question could alternatively be the prototype CCT (BR Diagram 815), which was shorter than the production CCTs (BR Diagram 816).

1443518546_PrototypeCCT.jpg.8dc1bf89db6bfbe8891c218046140729.jpg

CCT.jpg.817df0a4e528d3c97bf0fcbd901b3e91.jpg

The ferry CCTs (BR Diagram 1/092), however, were built to the same dimensions as the prototype CCT.

IMG_1054.JPG.0750939a40e547bc9b5cd2e9bd8b1e51.JPG

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Nope - shorter.

In fact, the van in question could alternatively be the prototype CCT (BR Diagram 815), which was shorter than the production CCTs (BR Diagram 816).

The ferry CCTs (BR Diagram 1/092), however, were built to the same dimensions as the prototype CCT.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Correction - NOT the prototype CCT - that did not have Continental fittings.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Chassis anything like this ? I’m thinking of ways to make this happen within my short attention span....

F6C8044A-FB6B-4D7D-8C56-EE406F01C06E.png

Too long, too high in the roof and look at the suspension on the van in the photo.

If you are a "hacker" rather than a "scratcher" the easy/cheap starting point for the body is a Lima BR CCT. Chassis is a bit outside my comfort zone, though there's probably something more modern and unfamiliar (to me) that could form a basis. Most likely something from the Cambrian Kits range.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Ok , I think you good folks have got it .

a ferry cct motorvan.

never heard of it - Is the chassis same as a regular cct

15 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Nope - shorter.

1443518546_PrototypeCCT.jpg.8dc1bf89db6bfbe8891c218046140729.jpg

CCT.jpg.817df0a4e528d3c97bf0fcbd901b3e91.jpg

IMG_1054.JPG.0750939a40e547bc9b5cd2e9bd8b1e51.JPG

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The van is fitted with UIC Double Link suspension - you may find something appropriate from a TTA Tank Wagon

I build one of these many years ago from an MTK kit, and started a couple more. They need more work with the chassis extra changes and since UIC buffers were available.

The Lima CCT would be a good starting point now.

Cheers.

SR Ferry CCT finished.jpg

SR Ferry CCTs.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Too long, too high in the roof and look at the suspension on the van in the photo.

If you are a "hacker" rather than a "scratcher" the easy/cheap starting point for the body is a Lima BR CCT. Chassis is a bit outside my comfort zone, though there's probably something more modern and unfamiliar (to me) that could form a basis. Most likely something from the Cambrian Kits range.

John

So other than being too high, long and having wrong suspension, is it a goer ?!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

If you're not overly fussed, how about doing one of the Mk.1 CCTs that were similarly liveried and used for the same purpose?

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/977019-2

Ah, now you are talking....easier modelling for the lazy Rob. I’d picked up on the other one as I’m modelling WR and that one was seen around reading, however as my plank will be based possibly not far from Weymouth , one from Yeovil junction will do nicely.

ive already ordered parkside kits for this...to cover my earlier period with the same crane.

5DB7E8A4-7C37-4A57-B6BA-F98F31C58B5C.png

• RMweb Gold

Talking of ferry CCTs I was on the south Devon railway a few months ago and was looking at the two with BSI couplers for moving the 151s and prototype 150s and gold braid encrusted stationmaster or something (these people are never porters or the like) telling this young family how it was used to couple British steam engines to German ones !!!

I did politely point out he was completely wrong but got a bit shirty and refused to be corrected 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

22 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Probably showing my age, but I remember Dibber 25, of this parish, modelling a Plasser & Theurer crane and its support vehicles in Model Railway Constructor. The support vehicles were a GWR-design Fruit D (very like your photo) and 22t Tube wagon.

I think that was an early issue of Model Rail about 1999. Unless he had done it previously and then revisited it.

Jason

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think that was an early issue of Model Rail about 1999. Unless he had done it previously and then revisited it.

Jason

Definitely in either a 1980s MRC, or one of the MRC 'Annuals', which had some very useful features on wagons by the usual suspects.

• Informative/Useful 1