RMweb

Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Over the down time I am ashamed to say the only reason I ventured into the train shed was to retrieve a pair of scissors ( why do we call them a pair when clearly there is only one? :) )

From the French: Un ciseau: a chisel.

Des ciseaux: a pair of scissors

So I suppose a pair of chisels....

Here are a couple more pictures of the VVB I am doing from a JLTRT van. There are some nice close up shots of the brake gear on Paul Bartletts site http://paulbartlett.....com/p885332926 but you do tend to loose it when it goes under the wagon. There should be a distributer under there somewhere but I can't see one on any pictures. I know the brake gear is wrong around the wheel axles. It should be the same as the vanwides that Slaters do but to be honest when this vans on the track you can't see too much around that area. Lets face it where I will run this unless I point out that it's differant no one will know it's airbraked let alone the brake pull rods are not quite right! I have just ordered the buffers from Slater and I managed to get hold of some wagon screw couplings from CPL on Monday so it should be in the paint shops next week. Anyone do the big ABS yellow spot in a transfer?

I would like to do one of the LNER style opens that had this airbrake conversion but can't find a picture of them, hint, hint Paul :rolleyes:

I have just made a start on my MTH Stainier BG by getting rid of the extra long footboards and slicing a bit of the cast on detail off. I will phot it shortly.

post-6766-0-02014800-1325681400.jpg

post-6766-0-68232000-1325681411.jpg

post-6766-0-39708100-1325681416.jpg

post-6766-0-55015900-1325681445.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 1

After a very nice weekend talking and actualy doing some modelling at the Ally Pally I just about finished building a JLTRT Fruit D kit. I drilled all the holes out at home last week and then made it all up at the weekend. The buffers are just pushed in at the moment as the chassis can be removed to paint it separately only when the buffers are removed.One small job to do is drill some holes and use wire to represent the fixing bolts at the bottom of the axle guards. In the kit the stretcher between the axle guards is a piece of lazer cut plasticard but a quick trip to Eileans Emporium to get some brass strip was called for. One little problem though was that the steps are made of white metal and bent very easily. I stiffened these up with a piece of brass at the back. There are no parts in the kit to make the lighting on/off handle that went across at one end I seem to recall. As I am going to do this as an ENPARTS van in BR Blue I doubt that the interior lighting would still be working so I will not bother with the dynomo belt either just make out that it fell off some time ago. All in all a very nice kit to build and really looks the part.

Hello Brian

Just looking at your ENPARTS van, you have used brass strip for the stretcher, can you remember/do you know the size of the strip please.

alan

I would like to do one of the LNER style opens that had this airbrake conversion but can't find a picture of them, hint, hint Paul :rolleyes:

Brian

You are very lucky, I hadn't looked at this for 322 mailings. I have the low quality scans of these which used to be on Fotopic and hadn't reloaded them - overlooked so see http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ohb

If you have made other requests in the past few months please let me know.

Sorry must go, the Parrots are telling me it is 00.00, their time keeping for bedtime is exemplary.

Paul Bartlett

Your a star Paul, thanks very much for those. I think ABS do the 8 shoe open to start from.

Your ok I have not requested anything resently.

Brian

Yes, ABS do the LNER clasp UF open, only the second 7mm model I made.

Regards

Paul Bartlett

post-387-0-43854600-1325760477_thumb.jpg

I wish Richard. It seems a job to get them to do anything these days :(

I have to agree, brought the brake tender off them before xmas, paid for it by paypal, then get an email. out of stock till the new year, yet they are still advertising forsale on ebay!

I think Laurie is very busy up there which is a good thing, we must learn to be patient.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the work I am doing on the MTH Stanier BG. I have cut back the full length running boards and rubbed down the solebar a bit. I have painted them with a bit of primer to see how much more rubbing back they need. I have removed the coridoor connectors on the ends and covered the hole with a plasticard blank. I found 4 cast lampirons from the JLTRT TTa's I did last year to replace the moulded on ones. The battery box on the truss rods is from ABS as is a regulator and fuse box on the other side. I also have an ABS dynamo to fit. Now I have to decide if I want to cut/file off the door handles and replace with sticky out ones. I should also remove a few of the moulded ribs down the sides to match a picture I have of one in the 70's.

post-6766-0-50245800-1325879930.jpg

post-6766-0-94349400-1325879935.jpg

• Like 1

Spoke to Laurie tonight sorting out an order for kits as they are damn good diesel kits, the more we buy the better chance we have of new stuff, without wanting to state the obvious!

Sorry for the post hijack Brian.

But how good ARE they? For the thick edge of £500, there are lots of posts on other forums about the amount of filler needed, missing detail, grilles not lining up.

And when a brass kit costs less than half that, and has far more detail.....

I'll sing their praises whatever if they do Falcon, mind..

I got the Slaters Oleo's for the airbraked wagon yesterday so put them on this afternoon. I remembered that I have a steel open from ABS already but I will get another and airbrake that.

I mentioned earlier that the brake gear around the axle is not quite correct for these airbraked 8 shoe wagons. Well I just remembered that I had seen something somewhere that did wagon casting details. I found it yesterday at http://www.modelrail...o.uk/Malbut.htm and they do a casting that links the 2 brake cross shafts together under the axle so it should look like the picture of the JLTRT TTA brake arrangement.

Jusy changed the link so it goes the wagon castings that M&M do (down the bottom of the page)

post-6766-0-76349800-1326044073.jpg

post-6766-0-96623700-1326044079.jpg

post-6766-0-67995000-1326044085.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 1

Our postie has been busy this week and delivered the brake links that I ordered from M&M to go under the airbraked VVB. Managed to un-glue the JLTRT brake rigging and fix these new bits in their place. Looks a lot better now and ready for the paint shop.

post-6766-0-74972900-1326489116.jpg

Also got hold of coach number 7, another SO with B4 bogies for a change.

post-6766-0-27623500-1326489143.jpg

And finally got an LNER/BR steel open from ABS to make another of the airbrake conversions. One bit that made me smile was the packaging in this wagon kit. It had a bit of the TV Times wrapped around some castings from February 1985!!!!!!!!!

A couple of pictures of the kit and the Appleby extra bits to do the airbraking, at the bottom right are the M&M brake link castings. One bit I am not looking forward to is removeing the cast on springs from the axleguards.

post-6766-0-96461300-1326489157.jpg

post-6766-0-07187500-1326489176.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

Slightly off topic, I have managed to do some spraying today on the coach sides of the B set, I will leave these a couple of days to harden off then it's on to the windows and other detail. Could you tell me how you fix in your windows as I am a little apprehensive as this is the first time with a resin kit.

Regards, Martyn.

Hi Martyn

I take it the windows on the B Set are the same as the MkI's in that they are clear plastic moulded that fit into a recess on the resin side?

I use Kristal Klear which is a PVA type glue so if you get any on a window it will just wipe off with a damp tissue. I thin the glue a little and run it round the window frame then pop the window in and add a little more glue around the edge with an old small brush which has longish hairs on it so it holds enough glue.

Don't forget if you want to varnish your coach sides do this before you put the windows (I know that sounds obvious but we do overlook the obvious some times)

I know Eileens Emporium does the glue, I use it for all my windows on the diesels and coaches.

Don't forget if you want to varnish your coach sides do this before you put the windows (I know that sounds obvious but we do overlook the obvious some times)

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info, to be honest I did not give it a second thought so you have saved me an embarassing moment there.

Yes the B set has these clear plastic mouldings that will hopefully fit in the apertures in the resin coach body, once I have this first build under my belt I should have the confidence to try a few more of Pete's coaches, so far I have enjoyed the kit and the detail is first class.

All the best, Martyn.

At the Calne Model Railway Show today I discovered Roket Blaster, what wonderful stuff.

I have found the twenty seconds for Roket Max, the thick stuff, to go off a little long at times and this stuff has solved my problem in one puff.

Made up the brass underframe for my BG after getting back from the show. Soldered it together and its not too bad. Bending the whole length was not the easiest thing to do as I don't have bending bars but with some nice brass hand vices that are about two inches wide and some flat nose pliers it worked.

Fitting it to the underside of the floor is another thing ! Unless the frame is truly level, flat, it bends the floor. So with some persuasion required to over come the bending effect it was glued into place. Again Roket Blaster came to the rescue and its now well and truly anchored to the floor of the BG.

The TPO I have to do next is even longer. More fun to come. :no:

Hi Two tone,

This " Roket Blaster " is it an aerosol ? I ask because if I want a super glue to go off immediately I use an accelerator, which is in an aerosol and one quick squirt and the super glue hardens on contact.

ATB, Martyn.

Yes, its an aerosol or sorts. I think the best way to describe it is pump action as the bottle is unpressurised.

It must be the same sort of stuff as you use, an accelerator as once it touches the glue, its set. Its very thin and penetrates cracks and wicks up joints nicely getting at all the glue in the joint. It also evaporates very quickly.

I think I will be investing in some more of this. Even as soon as tomorrow as I like to have a stock of things to hand so I don't have to go many a mile to get it.