Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Misreading the Ebay advert.....then winning the bidding

I wonder if anyone out there can help me please.

As you will guess from the title I have made a bit of a mistake.

I have purchase a Bachmann shunter on Ebay.

What I did not notice was the fact that it was DCC chipped already

Rather than DCC ready.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to remove the chip and return it to normal (analogue )?

Thank you in anticipation for your kind assistance. 

Thanks and regards

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Quite possibly, but it all depends on which Bachmann shunter it is - they've made quite a few over a long period and there are several different versions of each around. Early versions of the "08" for example had no DCC socket and any that are DCC fitted would be hardwired, I did one myself. Always possible to reverse the hardwiring and rejoin the wires to the factory state, if you know what you're doing. Later "08"s did and do have DCC sockets. In this case, remove the chip and replace it with an 8-pin blanking plate. Bachmann sell these as a spare part through their dealer network.

"03"s and "04"s have an even longer history and it would be best to give more details. Then there's the Junior range shunter, and of course you might have meant one of the many different steam shunting classes they have produced.

Edited by Andy W
  • Agree 2

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your kind replies.

It is the Bachmann USATank shunter and as they are as rare as hen teeth I am going to hang on to it.

If I put it on 12volt "normal" track to see if it is "cv29" configuration can I do it any harm  will I try the chip. I know nothing about DCC. I had zero 1 in the 1980's and have not touched anything other than good old 12 volts since!

Thank you all again for your kind input.

Thanks and regards

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Putting a DCC fitted loco on DC will do no harm to the locomotive at all. It's the other way round (non-DCC fitted on DCC) that causes harm.

The only issue you'll find is if CV29 has been set to turn off DC mode, in which case the loco will not respond to the DC controller. 

• RMweb Gold

The USA 0-6-0T loco made by Bachmann for Model Rail has a 6-pin decoder socket. Blanking plugs for these are available from as little as £1.95 on line - look for a NEM651 blanking plug. Again, Bachmann dealers may have packs of these on their spares rack, possibly under their Graham Farish brand name as these are commonly used in N-gauge locos.

If you're quite certain you will never ever want to use DCC, then get a blanking plug. The unwanted  decoder can be sold on ebay.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Charlieoscarthreesix said:

Hi Geep7 and Andy W ,

Thank you very much for you answers.

Looks like between you it is covered.

I was luck enough to get it with the the chip, post free for £90 which is why I probabbly  was not paying attention.

Looks like I am sorted due to you folks,

thanks

Nigel

At least you received something extra to what you thought and not something missing.

Some 6-pin decoders do not have the ability to run on DC, but otherwise I agree with all of the advice above. Try it on DC and if it works, all well and good, there will be no need to change anything.

If it doesn't work on DC, do as suggested and buy (beg, steal, borrow) a 6-pin blanking plug and swap out the decoder. From memory, fitting the decoder was not that difficult to do in mine, so in reverse, it shouldn't be too difficult to remove - just two screws hold the chassis to the body.