Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol Class 52 Western Sound

Hound Dog

With a new batch of OO gauge Dapol Westerns  shortly hitting the shops, I am thinking of treating myself to a Maroon version with Full Yellow Ends, “Western Gladiator” I believe........ my quandary is whether to take the easy option and go for the sound fitted version, or instead do with the basic DCC ready version and source a separate Sound Decoder ? ..... does anybody have any experience of the Dapol factory fitted sound ?

If it is a thumbs down for the factory fitted sound, then would be grateful for any recommendations for the best sound module and speaker combination to suit the Western - Thanks.

Edited by Hound Dog
Spelling

• RMweb Gold

I dont know what sound Dapol are using but we have played around a bit

The Dapol Western takes a 58 x 22 mm bass reflex speaker and we had always been happy with that with the Howes sound file - see 

We thought and EM2 must be better so milled a chassis to take one - but the Howes sound file didnt really like it so changed to a Legobiffoman file. Personally I dont like that as much as the Howes file although rumour has it that it will be re-done

So based on what we have seen the Howes file with the recommended 58 x 22 speaker - as fitted to 1048 in the video - gives us what we want. And thats from someone who spent many a happy day on the WR watching them from 1968....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
Spelling Timothy!
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have a quite old Howes file on a Heljan Western with a LokSound v3.5 and twin speakers in parallel. There is a minor bug with this sound project that only manifests itself at a particular speed, but overall I like this sound project and haven't heard anything better, yet.

You can have a bit of a listen here: 

Edited by SRman
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some lovely attention to detail on that layout and great in-cab viewing.

Both videos seem to show too much resonance / boom for want of a better description for me.

I understand its difficult scaling everything, and with the limited and confined spaces.

Great work for both of you - obviously a 'lifetime ongoing project'.

Al.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The sound project I favoured was Digitrains on a Zimo chip with a bass reflex speaker. Really easy to install, with good sales support from Digitrains for their project.

They can recommend the appropriate chip and speaker.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

I have recently bought a Dapol class 52 (BR green, Western Yeoman), factory fitted with sound. Understanding that sound quality is a personal preference, for me this is the best sound fitted locomotive that I have in my fleet. I am relatively new to DCC, no expert, and very cautious about changing CV values, so this Dapol sound fitted class 52, straight from the box, is perfect for me. Although unfamiliar with the real class 52s except through videos, Dapol seem to have captured their sound nicely, for example, the separate start up of both engines. Dapol also include what they call 'Real Drive' which involves changing CVs 4 and 309. In this mode when the accelerator is closed the locomotive coasts and the brake has to be applied to bring the train to a stop. As well as the horns, sounds include, cab door slamming, coach doors closing, wheel squeal on braking and guards whistle, air release and coupling. For me, the overall volume, out of the box, is just right, and Dapol have provide a fade in, fade out facility, good for going into or coming out of a tunnel.

In conclusion, the quality of the Dapol class 52 model is enhanced by the quality of the factory fitted sound decoder and speaker.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all, did we ever find out the o/p questions of who's sound file on what chip is in the factory fitted Westerns?

For example the Dapol 4D-003-016S Class 52 'Western' D1043 "Western Duke" in BR chromatic blue with small yellow panels - DCC sound fitted.

Thanks

Matt

• 6 months later...
On 27/07/2020 at 11:15, class56Harworth Colliery said:

I have recently bought a Dapol class 52 (BR green, Western Yeoman), factory fitted with sound. Understanding that sound quality is a personal preference, for me this is the best sound fitted locomotive that I have in my fleet. I am relatively new to DCC, no expert, and very cautious about changing CV values, so this Dapol sound fitted class 52, straight from the box, is perfect for me. Although unfamiliar with the real class 52s except through videos, Dapol seem to have captured their sound nicely, for example, the separate start up of both engines. Dapol also include what they call 'Real Drive' which involves changing CVs 4 and 309. In this mode when the accelerator is closed the locomotive coasts and the brake has to be applied to bring the train to a stop. As well as the horns, sounds include, cab door slamming, coach doors closing, wheel squeal on braking and guards whistle, air release and coupling. For me, the overall volume, out of the box, is just right, and Dapol have provide a fade in, fade out facility, good for going into or coming out of a tunnel.

In conclusion, the quality of the Dapol class 52 model is enhanced by the quality of the factory fitted sound decoder and speaker.

Hi class56Harworth Colliery.

I'm in the same quandary as the OP.

Any chance of you having a video that demonstrates the Dapol Western Factory fitted sound? 

I've searched YouTube but only seem to find demos from separately purchased sound...

Or if anyone else has a link to a video that demonstrates the Dapol Western Factory fitted sound that would work too.

Thanks in advance. 

• 11 months later...

Latest addition to my Diesel Hydraulic fleet is D1035 Western Yeoman in Green livery ......fitted this weeks with name plates and number ( thanks to a forum member who suggested using a Prit stick - worked a treat), and two man crew from Hardy Models, and then given the latest Zimo MS440C sound decoder from YouChoos with a double dumbo speaker ( turned down significantly from the as recd settings and still plenty loud in the garage).

Enjoy the video of an up departure from Portencross

Hound Dog

When I get time I will post my other Westerns with SWD, Biffo and Jamie Goodman sound files for comparison.......I think SWD is probably the best but this Youchoos version is pretty good, especially on set-off.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hound Dog said:

Latest addition to my Diesel Hydraulic fleet is D1035 Western Yeoman in Green livery ......fitted this weeks with name plates and number ( thanks to a forum member who suggested using a Prit stick - worked a treat), and two man crew from Hardy Models, and then given the latest Zimo MS440C sound decoder from YouChoos with a double dumbo speaker ( turned down significantly from the as recd settings and still plenty loud in the garage).

Enjoy the video of an up departure from Portencross

Hound Dog

When I get time I will post my other Westerns with SWD, Biffo and Jamie Goodman sound files for comparison.......I think SWD is probably the best but this Youchoos version is pretty good, especially on set-off.

I got a Cheltenham Model Centre Stalwart recently and decided that it deserved sound. I seem to have the same set up from YouChoos as you and I’m very pleased with it. Pleased enough to decide to dig out Sovereign and put the same sound in it.

That’s a very nice layout.

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

What convinced you over the other offerings? I prefer Jamie's sound for the 50 due to the long drawn out start up, plus the AWS sound when changing ends.

Neil.

Just sounds that little bit better from how i remember my trips on western champion.

bit more throaty exhaust sound ect. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...