Railways of Switzerland, Swiss locomotives and rolling stock - recommended reading?

Marly51

I visited Switzerland on a school trip in 1963, based at Brienz Youth Hostel. We travelled everywhere by train and I would now like to read more about the railways of that period , as well as the history of the Swiss railway system.

Apart from working my way through the many interesting posts here, do any members have particular recommendations of books, articles, etc? So far, I have only found a couple of books (in English) listed online:

Swiss Railways: Locomotives, Multiple Units and Trams (European Handbooks) by David Haydock

Swiss Railways - Locomotives, Railcars and Trams by Chris Appleby and P. Russenberger

You are not short of options!

The Swiss Railway Society is the english language interest group and has a number of publications: https://swissrailsoc.org.uk/

As for other books, try Amazon search “swiss railways “ in the books section for a wide range. Avoid the tourist ones!

It will all depend on your level of interest and price preference.

The two you mention are ‘spotters’ books so might not be what you are looking for.

Edited by pb_devon
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The late Cecil J. Allen was a great enthusiast for the Swiss transport network. You could try either:

"Switzerland's Amazing Railways", published in various editions by Thomas Nelson between 1953 and 1965, or "Switzerland: Its Railways and Cableways, Mountain Roads and Lake Steamers", published by Ian Allan in 1967

I don't know how much overlap there is between the titles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

You could try "Metre Gauge Railways in South and East Switzerland" by John Marshall - it was a 1974 print  but still fairly easily available via Amazon and other places.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, pb_devon said:

You are not short of options!

The Swiss Railway Society is the english language interest group and has a number of publications: https://swissrailsoc.org.uk/

As for other books, try Amazon search “swiss railways “ in the books section for a wide range. Avoid the tourist ones!

It will all depend on your level of interest and price preference.

The two you mention are ‘spotters’ books so might not be what you are looking for.

Thanks for that link. Fantastic I didn’t know they existed . Thanks also to Marley for posting the original question.  3 books on order and will seriously consider joining.  My first trip to Switzerland was with my parents in 1978 . I managed to go with my Dad up the Jungfrau because they knew I was so interested in the railways and it would be an experience . A day never to forget . This was followed by holidays on my own in 1988 and 1990 centered on Interlaken  when I travelled extensively on BLS , MOB , the meter gauge line to Luzern , off to Zermatt on the BVZ , up the Brienzer Rothorn and steamers on Lakes Thun and Brienz . A great reminder of that. Never come across English Language publications like that before . Again many thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, JimFin said:

You could try "Metre Gauge Railways in South and East Switzerland" by John Marshall - it was a 1974 print  but still fairly easily available via Amazon and other places.

Can recommend this too.

• RMweb Premium

Marly, based on where you stayed back then, I would imagine that 'Clouds on the Brienzer Rothorn' by Peter Arnold would be of interest.

Other books, 'Bahnen der Alpen' and 'Bahnen der Voralpen' by Franz Marti and Walter Trueb are good for several lines each (multi-lingual including English).

Can you read German and/or French? If so, I could post a list of many titles to choose from....

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Legend said:

Thanks for that link. Fantastic I didn’t know they existed . Thanks also to Marley for posting the original question.  3 books on order and will seriously consider joining.  My first trip to Switzerland was with my parents in 1978 . I managed to go with my Dad up the Jungfrau because they knew I was so interested in the railways and it would be an experience . A day never to forget . This was followed by holidays on my own in 1988 and 1990 centered on Interlaken  when I travelled extensively on BLS , MOB , the meter gauge line to Luzern , off to Zermatt on the BVZ , up the Brienzer Rothorn and steamers on Lakes Thun and Brienz . A great reminder of that. Never come across English Language publications like that before . Again many thanks!

The trip up the Jungfrau was an amazing experience for our group as well, back in 1963. The palace carved out of ice was my favourite, but I’ll never forget the dual locks on the toilets - a very kind lady managed to instruct me in broken English how to get out! 

15 minutes ago, DIW said:

Marly, based on where you stayed back then, I would imagine that 'Clouds on the Brienzer Rothorn' by Peter Arnold would be of interest.

Other books, 'Bahnen der Alpen' and 'Bahnen der Voralpen' by Franz Marti and Walter Trueb are good for several lines each (multi-lingual including English).

Can you read German and/or French? If so, I could post a list of many titles to choose from....

Thank you DIW, I can read French. Sadly despite being taught German, by our wonderful teacher,  I have not kept it up. Back in 1963 most of us managed to converse quite easily with local people. However my husband worked in Germany for 10 years and is still quite fluent - might be an opportunity for me to pick up German again! If you post a list of some titles, I would certainly give it a go. Many thanks!

Marlyn

• RMweb Premium

Hi Marly, here is a list -  it shows the title, the author(s), the publisher, the ISBN (if it has one) and the language (if none, then it is in English). It should give you an idea of what books are out there, some quite easy to find and others of course less so.

image.png.7dd26f226521a387b4a3bb7f25398615.png

Edited by DIW
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, DIW said:

Hi Marly, here is a list -  it shows the title, the author(s), the publisher, the ISBN (if it has one) and the language (if none, then it is in English). It should give you an idea of what books are out there, some quite easy to find and others of course less so.

What a fantastic reference list, DIW! When I look at photographs of Brienz and Interlaken today, I realise how much these towns and villages have expanded since over 50 years ago. Think I would really enjoy a return visit, especially  to experience some train journeys again and photograph some of the smaller stations.

Many thanks again,

Marlyn

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Marly51 said:

What a fantastic reference list, DIW! When I look at photographs of Brienz and Interlaken today, I realise how much these towns and villages have expanded since over 50 years ago. Think I would really enjoy a return visit, especially  to experience some train journeys again and photograph some of the smaller stations.

Many thanks again,

Marlyn

Yes it was Interlaken I was based at . Quite fancy a return trip . Only trouble is I'm not sure the stock is so interesting now . The good old BOB has gone from Choc and cream to Blue and bright Yellow and the BLS has gone from Blue/cream to some hideous fluorescent shades . Also one of the highlights for me was ascent/ descent of the Lotschberg, now there's the base tunnel

Edited by Legend
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was browsing through the free online archive of the Meccano Magazine, looking for some Hornby 0 Gauge information, and came across a series of illustrated articles on the Railways of Switzerland, which some of you may already have seen? The first article appears in the October 1934 issue - link below. Sometimes there are interesting  photos and illustrations  in these old articles.

http://meccano.magazines.free.fr/html/1934/3410/34100802.htm

Edited by Marly51
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1