Lima H0 Mk1 Cut & Shuts

• RMweb Premium

I've done a bit of 'proper old school' modelling  recently to create some required stock for my H0 micro layout Dounreay (see the thread in Boxfiles/Micro layouts)

Lima only did 3 Mk1 types in their range - a BSK, a CK and a RB, all mounted on a short B4. The basic overall dimensions are right, though the windows are underwidth by a scale 6" or so, which does make them look odd (as well as making spacing of cut & shut sides 'fun')

Needing at least one each of TSO/SK and BG, the logical thing (recalling my hacking of Tri-ang Mk1s back in the dim and distant past) would be to cut & shut 2 BSKs to make a TSO/SK and a BG.

The Lima H0 Mk1s comprise plug-in B4 bogies, the underframe, body (sides/ends), plug-in gangways of Mk2 type, glazing insert, interior and roof, all clipped together quite securely, but easy to dismantle once you know where to prise!

I started with the BG, using a H0 drawing in the sadly defunct Model Trains International mag (they always included H0 versions of all their drawings - which covered many BR Mk1 and Mk2 types as well as assorted wagonry) and cut a section out of both the roof and the underframe to reduce to a scale 57'. The 2 BSK bodies were then measured, marked using a square and cut using my very fine JLC razor saw, resulting in very little cleaning up to do. The 2 van ends offered up and adjusted for length, then simply glued together with MEK and allowed to set. The join went through half of one 'Guards' door, requiring the remnant handles to be sanded smooth and the half-window infilled with Squadron White filler over an internal plasticard blank. A smidge of filler also took care of the unwanted door seams and the join itself. Once the filler was set, it was sanded smooth with an assortment of sanding sticks . Lots of useful tools crossing over from the aircraft and AFV modeling world.

The TSO/SK required slightly more butchery to swap the toilet window/end door round (TSOs and SKs have both bogs at one end of the coach) and the 2nd toilet window cut into the black side. I salvaged the window vent from the offcut from the 2nd compo end. The narrow windows gave rise to a small measuring error on my part, requiring a small infill piece next to the centre door, cut from another offcut.. At the moment it's being an SK with the 2 compo-end interiors slotted in place, but a TSO would be more appropriate (I think), so I'll maybe bodge something from the Mk2 interior or master a pair of seats and cast a bunch up.

Again, a smidge of filler and some work with the sanding sticks smoothed the joins down. Chassis and roof untouched on the TSO/SK, though I do need to smooth both roofs down and replace the vents in the correct locations.

Bogies remain an issue - for my era, most ScR Mk1s retained their BR1 bogies, however there isn't an accurate H0 BR1 available. The Playcraft one (from their shorty Mk1s) are also about a scale foot too short and that's too noticeable for my eyes. I may seek out an old, old Tri-Ang shorty Mk1 to see if that bogie is usable, otherwise I'll have to investigate making a decent master and casting some up in resin to go around an 8'6" etched bogie inner. I also need to address/correct the gangways, again most likely making a master and resin casting.

I do need to get another 2 BSKs to repeat the exercise, so if anyone sees Lima H0 BSKs (any livery), please do get in touch. If I can get more, I'll consider doing a BCK as well.

So far the pass stock for the layout comprises a BSK, CK, TSO and BG, with a Mk2b TSO also available, even though they were very rare on the FNoS at that time!

A couple of pics, including a closer view of the TSO bog end.

48233964036_9e4ff99980_k.jpgIMG_20190708_193542 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

48234039947_d69547bd20_k.jpgIMG_20190708_193527 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Looking splendid old chap.  :good:

That is the start of a dangerous slippery slope into cutting and shutting. The infliction starts off with good intents but soon it catches up and you start rummaging around the secondhand stalls at exhibitions  thinking now that would make a XYZ, before you know it you have a pile of spare bits and you then make a Griddle Car. :scared:  I am at the moment cutting a  pair of Tri-ang Hornby Thompson 3rd corridors into a 3rd open, all I wanted was the roofs and underfarmes as I had run out of Mk1 roofs and under gubbins for other projects. I now have to make a new underframe and roof of the correct profile. :crazy:

The trick-cyclist says it is good therapy. :scenic:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Clive.

I do have some previous, making all sorts of 4mm Mk1s out of the old Triang ones with separate sides - much easier to work on than these Lima H0 coaches where the sides/floor/ends are all one piece requiring 3 separate but carefully aligned cuts per 'cut'.

Luckily, I don't need much stock for the layout, so I will stop after the next TSO/BG pair, (unless a extra BSK and CK drops into my lap to do a BCK but only if that happens)

The other option I could have used were the Worsley Works etched sides which would have corrected the window size and avoided the cut & shut approach, but more than doubled the cost of each coach.

I am hoping to get a pair of their CCT etches though to use with a couple of modified Playcraft long-wheelbase chassis I picked up recently.

I should also have mentioned above that a coast of primer is the next stage (along with the CK and BSK, both currently in blood & custard) followed by a repaint into maroon or blue/grey, the BG will be all-over blue.

And you should see the fun and games narrowing the 21 and 33 by 3mm to get them to scale width - I'll post more on those in due course.

• Like 2

Looking great - Alan!?

I look forward to seeing how they come out in blue & grey. Also looking forward to seeing how you tackle the locos too.

The 33 I assume is going to become a 26/27 but the 21/29 will be very interesting.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

John.

PS I believe the class 33 by Lima is actually only *about* 2mm too wide, rather than 3mm!

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Also looking forward to seeing how you tackle the locos too.

The 33 I assume is going to become a 26/27 but the 21/29 will be very interesting.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

John.

PS I believe the class 33 by Lima is actually only *about* 2mm too wide, rather than 3mm!

Thanks John. 

Yes, the 33 will become a 26, the 21 may become a 29, simply because they lasted 3 years longer than the 21.

Regarding the width, I've seen both 2mm and 3mm mentioned in the various articles (possibly also 2.5mm!), I'll dig out the H0 scale rule and do some measuring and comparison with the drawings before I glue the sacrificial strip along the roof. 

Now that I have acquired the next pair of BSKs, I can do TSOs in both maroon and blue grey and have BGs in plain blue and maroon. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

Thanks John. 

Yes, the 33 will become a 26, the 21 may become a 29, simply because they lasted 3 years longer than the 21.

Regarding the width, I've seen both 2mm and 3mm mentioned in the various articles (possibly also 2.5mm!), I'll dig out the H0 scale rule and do some measuring and comparison with the drawings before I glue the sacrificial strip along the roof. 

Now that I have acquired the next pair of BSKs, I can do TSOs in both maroon and blue grey and have BGs in plain blue and maroon. 

Hi Alan

I find when slimming diesels that two thin cuts either side of the main roof panel show up less and maintain the profile better. 

• Agree 1

The Playcraft Class 21 is more or less 4mm scale width so the best way forward there might be to use the sides but replace the entire roof with a tighter curved section. From what I remember, the roof detail wasn't as good as that on the sides anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Playing around with bogies... 

Cut n shut 2 Playcraft BR1s sideframes and by dint of some careful cutting, I can extend the wheelbase to 8'... Only 6" (or 1.75mm) short now. Might splice a 1mm strip into the centre section. Once I've got one I'm happy with, I'll use it as a master for some resin castings. 

IMG_20190803_175732.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've also (finally) set up my Silhouette Portrait cutter, with a view to doing BR CCT and GUV sides/ends. An hour or so's 'learn as you go' in the supplied Studio software and I had a couple of files ready to cut:

H0 CCT (for a 10 thou outer skin) 

H0 CCT inner (20 thou inner layer, with enlarged window openings) 

H0 CCT GUV glazing to cut a whole bunch of windows, based on the inner file widow openings. 

So the first set of basic CCT sides has been done. Chalkboards and end door straps to be added. The ends... I'll likely do 2 good ones as masters and resin cast some. CCT and GUV share a common end by the look of it, which helps. And GUV sides in similar fashion will follow. 

IMG_20190821_130452.jpg

• Like 5