Weymouth Quay Tramway - Track Curvature

Right Away

• RMweb Gold

Never having visited Weymouth in the days of steam hauled boat trains, I cannot help but wonder if there were operational difficulties over the extremely sharp curve on the Tramway (other than inconsiderate parking). By necessity, speeds were extremely low; flange drag would be quite severe and the exposed location in bad weather must have made rail conditions challenging. 

Would any member know the chainage of the curve, loadings involved and would assistance have been provided where necessary on the heavier workings?

weymouth(geraldtrobinson3.7.1966)quay_old16.jpg

Edited by Right Away
  • Like 2

Was the Ivatt 2 normally used on this line?.  I know the photo shows a well known event with one used in conjunction with a railtour but I would have thought the wheelbase was a bit long. Was this the only occasion?

Pete

• RMweb Gold

What you could probably do with is a copy of Gerry Beale's excellent book "The Weymouth Harbour Tramway in the Steam Era" (Wild Swan, isbn 1874103674). Simon Castens at the Titfield Thunderbolt (and of Wild Swan Books) might still have copies, although I understand it is almost out of print.

• Thanks 1

If not to late, I have just consulted my copy of The Weymouth Harbour Tramway by John Lucking and can give you a few figures:

1889-1938 minimum radius (Ferry Curve) 3ch 21ft (223ft).

after 1938 works, the minimum radius about 6chains (396ft)

After 1938, longest coach permitted was 64ft 6in if 9ft 3in wide and 66ft 8in if 8ft 11in wide

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/07/2019 at 07:39, eastglosmog said:

If not too late, I have just consulted my copy of The Weymouth Harbour Tramway by John Lucking and can give you a few figures:

1889-1938 minimum radius (Ferry Curve) 3ch 21ft (223ft).

after 1938 works, the minimum radius about 6chains (396ft)

After 1938, longest coach permitted was 64ft 6in if 9ft 3in wide and 66ft 8in if 8ft 11in wide

Thanks for this interesting information.

So, after 1938 for this very tight curve in 4mm/ft scale, we're talking  of a radius a smidge over 5' 2" ; a comparison that might give some of us pause for thought over our faster model curves?

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, john new said:

The tight curve in question (Ferry's Corner) required special couplings. It was later relieved by the current alignment. 

Indeed, the time and effort required to change them all on inbound and outbound trains was one of the reasons for spending the money on the works in 1938.

Edited to add:

Before the 1938 improvements, the corridor connections also had to be disconnected and the gangway doors locked before traversing the branch, adding further to the delay.

Edited by eastglosmog
Remembered a bit more interesting detail

• 7 months later...

Removal started today of the Tramway track apparently, starting at the Ferry station. 

I feel a letter coming on to James May, a nice relay in 00 gauge andhappy to lend my class 33 and some Mk 1s for a final train to the quay to give it a send off.

• Informative/Useful 2