RMweb

A couple of photos from work

beautiful little engines. i cant quite make out the second part of the name Thornville & warkaw or warkam?, burton on trent. the plate ont he first one says Bass ratcliffe & Gretton

Edited by sir douglas

The name of the builders is actually Thornewille & Wareham.  Pictures of their loco's and more details occur in the book " The Brewery Railways of Burton on Trent" , which book is on my bookshelf, but unfortunately a few miles from me at the moment so I don't have details of the author etc. immediately available. If someone hasn't beaten me to it I will furnish these details sometime to-morrow if it will help.

Phil T.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

The name of the builders is actually Thornewille & Wareham.  Pictures of their loco's and more details occur in the book " The Brewery Railways of Burton on Trent" , which book is on my bookshelf, but unfortunately a few miles from me at the moment so I don't have details of the author etc. immediately available. If someone hasn't beaten me to it I will furnish these details sometime to-morrow if it will help.

Phil T.

Quite right, I hadn't spotted the autocorrect mistake!

Looking at JW Lowe this builder made about 14 locos of which 4 were later rebuilt by Hunslet into Saddle Tanks.

Those dome covers are very reminiscent of EB Wilson locos.