RMweb

Parking on lawns

Captain Kernow

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Let’s be clear: I too think that parking on lawns is bad form.

And, I think that probably because i’m English, so share the National obsession with lawns. It’s part of our culture ....... whether it’s rational is another question altogether!

By Jove! I would never have guessed you were English using a term like 'bad form', old boy.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I think we should be considering allowing our lawns or grass patches or whatever they may be, to become wild flower meadows. That place of high culture, Rotherham, has some wonderful wildflower areas that have been specially planted, including central reservations. OK it is a good way of lowering the maintenance required, as the Highways Dep't is probably almost broke like most other local Authorities, but it is a planned situation and looks damn good IMO.

I keep suggesting to her indoors that out garden should be left to go wild and allow the reintroduction of loads of creatures. 

Lazee Barsteward

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

I find parking in churches ok as long as you switch off the engine immediately and keep out of the pulpit. I did have one Vicar complaining about the fumes once but I told him it was holy smoke. 

One of the points of difference between the C of E and Rome is whether the use of motorcycles over 125 cc is an essential part of the modern liturgy.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think we should be considering allowing our lawns or grass patches or whatever they may be, to become wild flower meadows. That place of high culture, Rotherham, has some wonderful wildflower areas that have been specially planted, including central reservations. OK it is a good way of lowering the maintenance required, as the Highways Dep't is probably almost broke like most other local Authorities, but it is a planned situation and looks damn good IMO.

I keep suggesting to her indoors that out garden should be left to go wild and allow the reintroduction of loads of creatures. 

Lazee Barsteward

If I let my garden go wild all I get is brambles... 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Whereas, in Britain, over-carefully maintained areas of grass are almost universally regarded as sacred spaces...

I wonder what the state of the 'lawn' obsession is now. One of the senior members of my wife's family was a fully signed up Knight of the Greensward , had the correct green and red monstrosity with two rollers behind and a seat above, and the approved motor that chugged loudly on tickover and made a noise like a demented woodpecker when going. It was more and more trouble to find 'a man' who could provide the vital annual service on the thing, until the day when thankfully the owner took up his (presumably long enthusiastically awaited) sojourn below the grass, and we no longer had to worry about it.

What I see on display in the plant nurseries of the UK is largely devices with rotary blades and no rollers. That what I use to keep the moss, bugle, daisies, buttercups and all that other green stuff in order.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think we should be considering allowing our lawns or grass patches or whatever they may be, to become wild flower meadows.

Ah yes, the easy excuse for not getting the grass cut!

We have no truck with that nonsense here at Kernow Towers. There are certain areas where the Captain is In Charge of Nature (ie. the lawns) and other areas where CTMK is in charge of letting Nature be in charge of itself (to the Captain's constant irritation!).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, friscopete said:

i also suggest that if thats all you have to worry about your doing well........

Certainly you may suggest that!

I really do wish that that was all I had to worry about.

It's more of an irritation than a major bugbear, because it's not happening all the time here, but it happens to be the subject for this weeks Official Rant.

Thank you all for your most kind indulgence.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, forest2807 said:

There is a fantastic quote about the cultural connotations of this practice in the 1996 film, ‘Crash’. Google it if you are interested, I won’t put it up here for reasons that will be obvious if you are aware of the cultural and racial tensions that are depicted in the movie.

I wasn't aware of the film, but I'm not sure that I should investigate further, as it sounds as if it is likely to wind me up even more!

38 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Ah yes, the easy excuse for not getting the grass cut!

We have no truck with that nonsense here at Kernow Towers. There are certain areas where the Captain is In Charge of Nature (ie. the lawns) and other areas where CTMK is in charge of letting Nature be in charge of itself (to the Captain's constant irritation!).

I didn't think lawns grew on wooden ships Captain. Are you sure it isn't moss?

• Agree 1

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Yes, it is their lawn, they own it (or pay the rent for the property), so as far as that goes, they can park their car on it. But to me, from a purely personal perspective, it doesn't look right and I also believe that it has the potential to lower property values, especially if more people start doing it. You can hold whatever opinion you like about that last statement I've made (about property values), but if I was choosing between two otherwise similar houses and situations and the neighbours parked on the lawn in one road but didn't in the other, I know which house I would choose and I just don't believe that there aren't many others out there with a similar view.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So sayeth the good Capt'n,  am in complete agreement with his statement particularly about property values.  We live in court with six houses all in about the $500K - $700K range and in true US style, no pavements or visible fences.  We are the only ones who keep our cars in the garage, everybody else parks in the driveway or if more than a couple of cars, in the street.  It could be worse so we ignore it; at least they cut the grass!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Long, long ago, when Joni was as young as in the picture on the last page, and I was a 19 year-old, hairy, hippyish student, I had an uncle of a rather adventurous and youthful turn of mind. He asked me if I could get him some of that stuff from the East that young people were smoking in funny large-looking cigarettes at the time, as he fancied giving it a try.

I must emphasise that this was long ago, when drinking and driving were not such rigidly separated activities as they rightly now are, for he rang me a few days after I posted the required resinous substance to him and said that he had thought it had no real effect, and had even driven a short way home.

However, he added, he got up the next morning and, looking out of his bedroom window, saw his car parked on the lawn, and deep tyre tracks showing its path thither through a small hedge and two flower beds.

Edited by johnarcher
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, johnarcher said:

Long, long ago, when Joni was as young as in the picture on the last page, and I was a youthful and hairy hippyish student, I had an uncle of a rather adventurous and youthful turn of mind. He asked me if I could get him some of that stuff from the East that young people were smoking in funny large-looking cigarettes at the time, as he fancied giving it a try.

I must emphasise that this was long ago, when drinking and driving were not such rigidly separated activities as they rightly now are, for he rang me a few days after I posted the required resinous substance to him and said that he had thought it had no real effect, and had even driven a short way home.

However, he added, he got up the next morning and, looking out of his bedroom window, saw his car parked on the lawn, and deep tyre tracks showing its path thither through a small hedge and two flower beds.

Was the fridge empty?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

What is wrong with parking on the road outside the property? Just round the corner from us, there's a road where the residents are expert at that - the Kenton Road slalom. I was once in a 53 seater coach that turned down that road - my heat sank but the driver wriggled us through!

• Informative/Useful 1

Off at a tangent:

I've never been able to properly understand the purpose of front lawns, in that nobody ever uses them for anything.

You never see a grumpy old bloke and his equally grumpy missus sitting in deck chairs on the front lawn, or boys playing football, or toddlers in paddling pools, or someone changing a bicycle inner-tube, or a dog asleep. Yet all those things, and many more, happen on back lawns.

Our previous house had a front lawn, plus hedges, and I concluded that I was maintaining both not for our benefit, but for that of passers-by.

The logical thing to do is place the house fairly near the front boundary, thereby enlarging the usable area at the back within any given plot size.

So, is their sole purpose to give the impression that the house occupies such a vast plot that wasting a good bit of it by having a front lawn is no great matter?

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

35 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Off at a tangent:

I've never been able to properly understand the purpose of front lawns, in that nobody ever uses them for anything.

You never see a grumpy old bloke and his equally grumpy missus sitting in deck chairs on the front lawn, or boys playing football, or toddlers in paddling pools, or someone changing a bicycle inner-tube, or a dog asleep. Yet all those things, and many more, happen on back lawns.

Our previous house had a front lawn, plus hedges, and I concluded that I was maintaining both not for our benefit, but for that of passers-by.

The logical thing to do is place the house fairly near the front boundary, thereby enlarging the usable area at the back within any given plot size.

So, is their sole purpose to give the impression that the house occupies such a vast plot that wasting a good bit of it by having a front lawn is no great matter?

A front garden does save you from having your front door opening on to the street (or in the case of the pub my great-aunt lived in, railway), and do, if furnished with a hedge, cut down traffic noise appreciably. When a teenager the front lawn is a useful excuse to be outside where you can watch who's passing; unfortunately, the lawn will eventually succumb to being over-mowed...

• Agree 1

For years, I had front & back lawns but after much watering , fertilizing & mowing  and with no offer of assistance from my kids, even threatening them with lack of pocket money, it was decided by my wife & myself to get rid of lawns and replaced with gravel .

Kids complained - "no where to play" so I told them to go and play in the park across the road...

Less work & expense for me now days and the front area at least allows a couple of mates cars to be able to get off the roadway. I can actually have 5 cars on my property. ( And  I do have that number twice a month for train operating sessions)

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

What is wrong with parking on the road outside the property? Just round the corner from us, there's a road where the residents are expert at that - the Kenton Road slalom. I was once in a 53 seater coach that turned down that road - my heat sank but the driver wriggled us through!

All those people in the street wanting to park their 3 cars, plus all those skinflints who do not want to pay the station car park charges - that's our problem, anyway.  We get the caravan/man towing a mower slalom which causes much amusement to the spectators - any 53 seater coach that tried would have to back all the way back up because of the 7.5t weight limit on the river bridge at the bottom (some have tried).

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Off at a tangent:

But surely that is the whole point. They do not serve any useful purpose. They are just there to show that the owner can maintain a weed free patch of land.

I do not strive to join this club. My front drive is on a fairly steep downward slope towards the house with steps for pedestrian access. Not an ideal site for a lawn.

Bernard

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

When i lived in Northumberland, I  often saw the front gardens full of vegetables, except  for the edges which were often roses.

• Like 1