If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

Wanted - Exactoscale p4 Back to Back Gauge

Down_Under

I think the design has been altered since that B to B was available. The slot was made wider and there was two large vertical drillings  down the long axis that gave clearance for any gear wheel fitted to an axle.

Maybe this type is to be made available again via the S4 stores. I use mine a lot but also find the George Watts adjustable B to B just as good and accurate.

He usually takes out an ad in MRJ for contact details & prices.

P

Thanks for the reply - yup that looks like the one - I have seen versions with the two holes. I was looking for one to be able to build a jig for putting the Exactoscale wagon wheels together.

If you see one, or want to let it go Hayfields, I'd be more than happy to purchase.

I haven't seen a GW adjustable one yet. Bit difficult getting his stuff in Aus - I was successful getting one via a  trader whom I bought some wagon kits of at last years scaleforum.

Cheers

James

The depth would be the standard P4 back to back (17.8 mm?), height and width 38 mm, the groove is 6 mm wide. Holes are 12mm, one being 3.5 mm from the end, other being 9 mm. My calliper is a cheap one so may be a thou or so out.

It weighs 120 grams 

Edit the measurement is 17.74/.75. as I said my calliper is a cheap one

Edited by hayfield
  • Thanks 1

The Exactoscale P4 gauge sets a back-to-back of 17.75mm, which is the top of the allowed range in the P4 standards. C.f. the Brook Smith gauges which set back-to-back at (IIRC) 17.67mm, at the bottom of the range.

The Exactoscale S4 gauge sets a back-to-back of 17.87mm and is therefore outside P4 limits. It's important not to get them mixed up, P4 and S4 being different standards; vendors may not realise the difference. I was once sold an S4 gauge when I'd asked for a P4 gauge and had to wait for the next show to exchange it.

• Thanks 1

Seems like I have opened a can of worms! :wacko:

Thank you for the info on the various BB - I suspected they varied a little between brands. I have one of the usual L shaped ones but not really suitable for assembling the Exactoscale wheels, plus it seems to always result in wonky wheels (could be user error admittedly). I'll  look at getting one or two machined up here given their scarcity if none turn up.

J

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Down_Under said:

Seems like I have opened a can of worms! :wacko:

Thank you for the info on the various BB - I suspected they varied a little between brands. I have one of the usual L shaped ones but not really suitable for assembling the Exactoscale wheels, plus it seems to always result in wonky wheels (could be user error admittedly). I'll  look at getting one or two machined up here given their scarcity if none turn up.

J

One L shaped jig is pretty useless for the reasons you suggest, two however used as a square,,,,,,,,,,

Mike.

The L shape gauges work for me when doing this job. They will contact the back of the tyre in 4 places which is enough to hold it square. I can't see how a second gauge would help, especially as it would almost certainly be slightly different. To avoid wobble take care that the axle is at right angles to the wheels, this is relatively easy with the exactoscale wheels a the stub axle help. The hard bit of this job is getting the axles central so the pinpoints stick out the same on each side, I assume that is the purpose of the plasticard disks in your pic.