RMweb

My computer has a virus or Trojan, I think ?

brian777999

Sometimes when I am on ebay I get a loud continuous beeping  sound and a pop-up that says my Windows operating system needs updating ( I know it does not). This only happens on ebay and no other site : why is this  and how do I get rid of it ? I have Avast and Spybot but scans using both show nothing unusual.

Edited by brian777999

• RMweb Premium

A long shot ( I know not a lot about such things) but I'd try clearing all cookies, browsing history etc. and then see what happens.  And I wouldn't be using that pc for banking or financial transactions etc until you get this sorted.

HTH

Brian

The problem may not be at your end, it's an issue that seems to occur regularly on eBay and there are discussions on the eBay community boards

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/Pop-up-saying-I-ve-won-an-Amazon-prize/m-p/6094593#M4148

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/Keep-getting-redirected-saying-I-ve-won-a-prize/td-p/5603662

I had the redirect poroblem in the second thread, what Andy and Brian have suggested above stopped it.

Nick

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll trot out my oft used reply (and beloved of Kenton, ex of this parish): Javascript is the likely suspect, and from a third, fourth, fifth or even deeper handed call. Most websites use Javascript to modify their pages to show adverts to the end user. Most of this advertising Javascript comes from third party (or deeper) domains. As it gets very messy very quickly, it's easy to hide a more malicious script on a domain deep in the call structure that the primary domain (in this case eBay) basically have no control over. The only options at our end are to hope that virus software can stop it, or to only allow the Javascript from known 'safe' domains (via the likes of NoScript). This does mean that pages can look mangled sometimes, but it can help to reduce the 'attack surface' that malicious script writers have to target you.

• Informative/Useful 1