Above baseboard manual point control

malcolmcelyn

I'm in the process of designing a small shunting layout. My initial thoughts involve a main running line in the centre with two or three sidings either side, plus brake van storage etc.

Small yards like this often had large white point levers next to them. Is there an 0 gauge, working equivalent? I know it involves the 'hand of god', but I want to use three link couplings too, so my hand becomes the shunter/yardmaster!

I remember seeing an article many years ago, where all point control was manual, with hard brass wire running on the surface, through bell cranks and the like. I'd like to have the white levers for sidings and a manual system as described, perhaps with the point rodding running to a signal box, to control the main running line points. Does that make sense?

I suppose I'm looking for a prototypical point lever system, minus the interlocking!

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

Have a look at this Peco product, it may be what your looking for.

image.png.0844beffb18f6f3d21942e07b9051df7.png

Yes, except the levers are normally flat (looking a bit like wagon hand brake levers). They could be the basis though. Thank you Andy.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, malcolmcelyn said:

Yes, except the levers are normally flat (looking a bit like wagon hand brake levers). They could be the basis though. Thank you Andy.

Yes I was thinking of cutting the top off and filing flat.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, malcolmcelyn said:

With no pictures for what I'm looking for on the website. Frustrating!

A quick search...

gem.jpg

I think there was another type similar to the Peco one Andy posted but I'm not certain.

Edited by teaky

• RMweb Premium

I have some Gem point levers they are like the Peco one with a red balance weight.

I also have some by a unknown company which are slightly different.

I also had what I thought was a Gem lever frame for wire in tube but it was made of individual components and had IIRC 6 levers.

In fact maybe someone could positively identify them.

The RH one is definitely Gem and I thought the LH was an earlier version:

722043812_pointlevers.jpg.56fdb01d826165f230d043f5d15eabb9.jpg

They are a bit tatty as they were underwater when I was flooded last year.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I have some Gem point levers they are like the Peco one with a red balance weight.

I also have some by a unknown company which are slightly different.

I also had what I thought was a Gem lever frame for wire in tube but it was made of individual components and had IIRC 6 levers.

In fact maybe someone could positively identify them.

The RH one is definitely Gem and I thought the LH was an earlier version:

They are a bit tatty as they were underwater when I was flooded last year.

Ah ha, that was what I had in mind when I said I thought there was a third design by GEM.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, malcolmcelyn said:

Although only a small view (from another thread-thanks for the photo), these are the sort of levers I'm after for the sidings, bottom right.

I think those may be Shirescenes but they're just cosmetic.

If anyone does know of some working ones like that I too would be interested.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, teaky said:

I think the Chandra ones might throw the whole layout rather than the points.

Are the Roxey ones working or cosmetic?

No idea, they look like they may work however I can't find them in their normal catalogue.

14 hours ago, malcolmcelyn said:

Thanks guys. The lever frame looks interesting, but the individual lever isn't really what I'm looking for. 

If it is a full lever frame you fancy, there was a a superbly engineered offering from, if I recall correctly, Ambis engineering. Wasn't cheap, but quality rarely is.

On previous layouts I have used wire in tube from a small change over switch which also controlled the frog polarity. This morning I am putting the final touches to my test track layout which has simple push / pull rods running under the board to each point. A changeover slide switch mounted directly beneath the point provides locking for the tie bar and frog polarity.

• 1 month later...
On 02/08/2019 at 07:51, teaky said:

Here you go.  Still no idea if they work or not.

The Williams levers in 7mm are what I'm looking for I think. As long as they're working, not cosmetic!

Have emailed them to enquire.

Edited by malcolmcelyn