Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LMS coaches

These are both North Staffs designs.  The Brake Third is from the Adams period Diagram 22 and the Lavatory Compo is later, from 1920 Diagram 37.

Both are provided with numbers allocated in 1933 LMS Carriage renumbering and hence the simplified lining.  You've acquired an unusual pair of coaches there that appear to be well finished.

53 minutes ago, Buhar said:

These are both North Staffs designs.  The Brake Third is from the Adams period Diagram 22 and the Lavatory Compo is later, from 1920 Diagram 37.

Both are provided with numbers allocated in 1933 LMS Carriage renumbering and hence the simplified lining.  You've acquired an unusual pair of coaches there that appear to be well finished.

Many thanks Buhar for your answer which has solved my mystery. Yes, they are quiet special, and in very good condition.

Examples of both survived into the early 50s. They might well have been repainted, but it would be a crime to over-paint Larry's work.  It should be signed underneath. I hope you acquired these through a source other than Gostude. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for your confirmation. Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of doing anything to them; as you say it would be a criminal act. I should have mentioned that before I asked the question to save you from any anxiety. I'm modelling  early 50's based on the ex- L&Y part of SW Lancashire around Preston/Southport/Liverpool. From my own memory we still had numbers of coaches in LMS colours then and I have a few already. I suppose it's doubtful if these types travelled to those parts but they will in my world. Yes, they are both signed and dated. I don't know who Gostude is, or at least I didn't until I just looked on Google, not that I'm much the wiser (I'll look later). Thanks again.

Gostude is one of the regular eBay sellers (in)famous for optimistic prices*. Never having purchased from him, Ican't comment on his service, but it is reputedly good. He is a fan of a defunct make of American cars hence the name - Go Stude(baker).

* A frequent star of items on the 'eBay Madness' thread in 'Wheeltappers'.

I have used him and it was fine. Would use again if the right price.

You don't really have 36000+ purchases and a 99.8% rating otherwise.

His bog standard stuff is reasonably priced. But anything that he thinks might sell for a premium is at one. He knows his stuff.

As an example. Bog standard RTR and something similar to what the OP has.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-D72-GW-GWR-0-6-0-TERRIER-CLASS-LOCOMOTIVE-6-BOXED-nt/362726572865?hash=item5474304341:g:YkwAAOSwMxhdVC5A

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-S-KIT-BUILT-EM-GAUGE-RAKE-of-2-SE-CR-SUBURBAN-COACH-by-GODDARD-LAWRENCE-nj/332098955053?hash=item4d52a3e72d:g:64gAAOSw2xRYg6ZZ

Jason

• Agree 1