RMweb

A question concerning - class 33048 crackcase plate bought off ebay

SouthernBlue80s

I guess this is the best place to ask this.

I have just bought a plate from ebay. It is from class 33048 and says ´´precautions against crankcase explosions´´

I am sure the seller is genuine. However, seeing as class 33048 is preserved, surely wouldn't the plate have remained with the loco.

I know nothing about preservation. So for those that do, are small bits like this often sold from preserved locos or is this unusual.

All the best

Steve

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

Engines would have been swapped around between locos regularly, so there's no reason why it couldn't be from an engine that was in 33048 at one point.

I don't know the differences between the various types, but I'd imagine that the plate was common to all sulzer engines. There's certainly a plate concerning crankcase explosion precautions on a 12LDA28B, which I bet is close to identical.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 14:43, Zomboid said:

Engines would have been swapped around between locos regularly, so there's no reason why it couldn't be from an engine that was in 33048 at one point.

I don't know the differences between the various types, but I'd imagine that the plate was common to all sulzer engines. There's certainly a plate concerning crankcase explosion precautions on a 12LDA28B, which I bet is close to identical.

I always think of engine swaps being in the class 50 and 55s... but it happened across the board. Thanks for the replies all. I am quite chuffed at owning a tiny part of a Hither Green allocated class 33. I was born in Hither Green in 1966 and grew up in South East Kent.

• 2 weeks later...