Hi all, 

Just a query on whether anyone has attempted any stranger or less common types of flora? I see the common grasses and bushes in the form of statics, scatters and 'ready to place' scenics as most layouts are either urban, semi urban or 'in the fields' rural.

As I'm modelling a specific location near to Poole; Dorset, there is a vast abundance of heathlands in the area - one of which is a short walk from the house (great for research!).  In the near future I'm planning to incorporate some of the heather and gorses and had wondered if anyone had attempted these or any other types of plants?

This is my first time in posting on RMWeb so bear with me lol. Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold

Gorse is probably easiest with rubberised horsehair covered in green flock as it gives the open and scraggly underneath. a little bit of yellow flock on top if it's the flowering season you're modelling. Heather could be Woodland Scenics coarse turf or the foliage clusters then dabbed with glue and a little purple or pink flock for the flowers.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all. Just started testing out my static grass applicator and really pleased with the results. Definitely going to give the rubberised horsehair a go and also I can obtain scotchbrite very easily from work. I was led to believe the horsehair can be used as well for brambles. Will do some further research on the Gordon Gravett books. Many thanks

I spent literally weeks trying to crack the look of gorse on Heaton Lodge Junction.

in the end I opted for medium bushes from scenery company Polak (based in Pickering). These bushes aren’t cheap - £15 for 8/10 bushes but are well worth it.

Once unpacked, spray liberally with matt varnish, and sprinkle with dark flock. Once dry spray again with matt varnish before sprinkling with yellow flock to represent the flowers (gorse flowers mainly in the winter).

Simon

8A5489EB-4736-4A52-9E6D-60EB23B6AA5F.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2