Modeling Realistic Turnout - without any specific tools

bkrenderman

That's very impressive! Every now and again I wonder about maybe one day having a go at making track, but always imagine I'd have to spend a lot on various tools, which (is one of the things that) puts me off. You seem to have well and truly undone that excuse for me :) Thanks for sharing.

It does show that a working item can be made using a few basic tools, simply a file wire cutters and a soldering iron, using modern products (plastic chairs and sleepers) most of the soldering can be eliminated 

How reliable it would be, especially in a larger scale than N gauge without using gauges is debatable. Reminds me of my first attempts in my late teens, using SMP kits built without any real gauges (the flat ali disk supplied in the kits) They worked after a fashion but with certain locos and stock were unreliable, the quality of the plan also helps

Roller gauges cost a couple of £'s (make sure you buy the correct one for both gauge and code of rail used) are easy to use and ensure reliable running, still with this and the cardboard example on another thread both clearly show the simple skills and tools required

• Like 1
  • Agree 1