Locomotive ID

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, 

I hope someone can help. The Society I'm in has been asked if we can identify this loco and its location. Looking at the photos, the loco seems to be called Gilston. And based on the history of the person in the photos, we think it might be somewhere in the Wortley, Leeds area before they moved to just south of York Road (east Leeds).

Does anyone have any ideas?

cheers

Jason

Gilston-footplate.jpg.2e110227d277367aefd72e1e3bbc4807.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, we've narrowed it down to Gilston. Looking again, the saddle on the first tone does look higher than on the second, and the handrail is also higher compared to the cab details.

9 minutes ago, JCL said:

Hi there, we've narrowed it down to Gilston. Looking again, the saddle on the first tone does look higher than on the second, and the handrail is also higher compared to the cab details.

The shape of the cab front edge is different, and I think the lower part of the cab is longer in the second image

Where the first loco has an injector, the second has a sandbox

Richard

According to the IRS West Yorkshire handbook, 7 locomotives worked at Wortley gasworks over the years. Two were Ruston & Hornsby diesels and the other 5 were all 0-4-0ST that were built by Hudswell Clarke. One, w/n 1594 of 1927 would almost certainly have looked different in tank and cab/weatherboard style than those in the photos, so that leaves Gilston, which is in the second photo, Leafield (259 of 1884) and No.1 (489 of 1898).

I have a large works photo of Leafield and the cab handrails are different to the engine in the first photo, which rules that out, so the engine in the first photo is probably 489.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, thanks again both of you. I'll ask the original person about the photos to see if they can do anything differently.

cheers

Jason