Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

London area 1950's Fowler 4F with Johnson tender?

Haddocksrock

I have a Graham Farish 4F in MR livery that I want to renumber into BR livery. I model the Southern region and would like to know if anybody could suggest a likely 4F with a Johnson tender that may have been used on cross London transfer freights or was shedded at a London area depot?

I have lots of detail on SR locos but MR/LMS is a bit of a grey area for me! Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

You may need to go through the allocations and search for photos on Google Images. They were pretty rare in London post 1948 apart from a few at Kentish Town and Cricklewood. As well as a few outside the capital at places like Bletchley.

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=104&type=S&page=alloc

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=105&type=S&page=alloc

I'll see if I can find some later. 

Some details about the tenders here.

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/Downloads/4F Prototype Information.pdf

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for your reply.

I had no idea the BRdatabase existed! It will be very useful and not just for this exercise.

I will make a list of likely locos from places like Kentish Town, Cricklewood etc and try to check photos for the tender type.

Somebody else has suggested doing a tender top swap for a Fowler type which may be the way to go if nothing definate turns up.

• Like 1

Just to tie this topic up I have managed to narrow it down to  43964 a long term resident of Kentish Town in the 50's.
A photo in Steam Around London; The Postwar Years (Brian Morrison) shows it on shed complete with the required Johnson tender.
So thanks again for helping to point me in the right direction

On 08/09/2019 at 20:32, Haddocksrock said:

I model the Southern region and would like to know if anybody could suggest a likely 4F with a Johnson tender that may have been used on cross London transfer freights or was shedded at a London area depot?

There were quite a few times I was at Feltham shed to witness cross London freights to enter the yard behind, not Cricklewood based, but Wellingboro' locos, which could widen your choice perhaps (Kentish Town was mostly passenger locos).

Edited by bike2steam

2 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

Looking at the question the other way round, are there any reasons why a 4F with a Johnson tender should not be able to make it to the Southern?

Jim

I don't know any physical reasons. But most of them were up North and in the Midlands after nationalisation as many of their heavier duties had been taken over by 8Fs.

Jason

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I don't know any physical reasons. But most of them were up North and in the Midlands after nationalisation as many of their heavier duties had been taken over by 8Fs.

Jason

Thank you - it leaves the door open for the OP to apply Rule 1 if he wants. It may not have happened in reality, but it could have done. :)

Jim

Edited by jim.snowdon