Fenwick Pit: a North East Colliery in 2mm

Geordie Exile

• 5 months later...

Gosh, I hadn't realised how long it is since I packed up the nascent Fenwick Pit as we put the house/croft on the market.  And in those boxes it still lies, along with my modelling mojo.  Seriously considering a visit to Derby to see if I can regain said mojo by osmosis.  And there are so many RMWeb things to catch up on too.  Well, it's officially summer in the Highlands, so that'll guarantee rain for some time, which'll give me the opportunity I crave...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...

Hi, Richard, Yep time flies by .I hope you have got your self settled into your new abode and everything

is hunky dory .If you do get your mojo beck let us know ,look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards for now Ray.

• 5 months later...

Fenwick Pit will be coming out of enforced hibernation this year. We've sold the croft, and bought a new train room that also comes with a house, which is handy. I guess it'll be another couple of months before I unbox everything, but in the meantime, I can plan. 

And it is the perfect train room. 20230103_135349.jpg.5ccc3101b92d57e47c8b0f25f028160f.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 6

Glad to hear that, Richard!  I once had a train room like that, but a young family and running a Dental practice restricted modelling time.  Added to that, my plan for a model of Airdrie CR, in 2FS, which I could fit in it without compression, was vastly over ambitious!   Just watch you don't fall into that trap!

Jim

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

I be more concerned at watching a train on your new domain walking back and falling through the trap door  ( suggest you add a rail round for safety )

I agree, and I would suggest you do that first before any railway construction.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

a gated railing is probably more difficult to construct  however   it would allow the access ladder to stay in place and possibly allow the provision of tea and cakes to be delivered

The H+S training I did ( yes I know a dirty expression ) suggests if a lid was added and a accident occured you may end up over the lid and block assistance

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard nice to see your back in the land of locos .It looks like you bought a railway room with a house or did your other half have eyes on it as well.

I take it you have now retired and this will be your next line of work ?

Look forward to your adventure with Fenwick ,rgds Ray

3 hours ago, Trewisin said:

Hi Richard nice to see your back in the land of locos .It looks like you bought a railway room with a house or did your other half have eyes on it as well.

I take it you have now retired and this will be your next line of work ?

Look forward to your adventure with Fenwick ,rgds Ray

Not retired yet Ray - a couple of years to go at least.  But no longer having a croft gives us both a huge amount more spare time.  Move date set for two weeks from today.  Unboxing of toys will be some time after that, as the room itself needs a fair bit of prep, and I imagine the rest of the house will take at least some of my time!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Richard ,Welcome to your new abode, I hope the move went wthout a hitch.I think you have found a house or should i say a model room with a house attached. As the other viewers have said H & S would have a field day with a uncovered hatch. I suppose   that will be your first job before lining out or putting in benches for your new layout.Look forward to your update best regards Ray.

Edited by Trewisin

• 4 months later...

It was good to catch up with FCAG stalwarts (and hobnob with the Chairman himself) at Perth Model Railway Show a couple of weeks back.  Bits of Fenwick Pit were dusted off and were seen lurking on the 2mmSA stand.  Not just dusted, actually.  Soon after filling a couple of the wagons with faux-coal using a water-based glue, they got boxed up for a couple of years.  On re-opening the box, something with tendrils (and possibly sentience) had grown out them.  Took a bit of cleaning off, and I swear I heard it complain as I did.

A particularly pleasing moment was coupling up the steel hopper in the foreground (a Bob Jones etch) with one of James Batchelor's wagons, and seeing the DGs actually work, including uncoupling. First time they'd been over a magnet, and it was very gratifying.  I'd been havering about sticking with DGs having seen Electras in action at the FCAG mini-meet a couple of months ago, but I'm happy to use the DGs now I know mine actually do what they're supposed to do.

image.png.a571be6ce3cdc6ebca62ad7b74d1a7e6.png

And it's time to bite the bullet, and start to build an actual locomotive chassis.  I've had the lack of a working loco nagging at me since the nascent Fenwick Pit went into boxes two years ago.  I'm sure there's a thread in this forum that'll tell me where to start. Probably...

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Richard long time no hear, re your thoughts on locos why not contact Jerry Clifford (Bath Queens square ) hes madw some excelant 2mm locos. EFE are just about to release anN gauge J94 which may be converted to 2mm?

Look forward to hearing from you soon ,Rgds Ray. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Richard firstly I hope you had a reasoable Christmas and you are now looking forward to (Hogmany)  the New Year

Time has flown i take it that you are still in the land of hibernation as to regards  modelling.

Look forward to hearind from you soon, best regards.Ray

13 hours ago, Trewisin said:

Hi Richard firstly I hope you had a reasoable Christmas and you are now looking forward to (Hogmany)  the New Year

Time has flown i take it that you are still in the land of hibernation as to regards  modelling.

Look forward to hearind from you soon, best regards.Ray

Hi Ray

Thanks for the good wishes.  I've just blown the dust off my RMWeb login for the first time in months, and here's a lovely greeting from yourself 🙂.  Given the enforced idleness that the Highland weather has brought, I thought I'd dip in and make an appeal for a J94 chassis which might reignite my modelling.  Hope you're well.

Richard

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well then!  I found my modelling mojo: it was buried under a long list of things to do in real life, but as most of those are outdoor jobs and it's currently -7 in our part of the Highlands, they can wait. 

I've ordered a bunch of 9mm (how appropriate!) ply and planed timber to make a start on elements of the baseboard.  I promised myself I wouldn't get too complicated for the first attempt, and this was confirmed when I blew the dust off my two-year-old test track and saw just how badly I'd laid it.  So, here's the plan for the first bit:

image.png.7b0917e74f73a6fb09f25d9869bf7156.png

(probably copyright National Library of Scotland, so I'd better credit them)

The pit itself sits at the top of the map (the orange rectangle), but I'm going to start with the exchange sidings.  I'm pretty certain they sat in the blue rectangle, and weren't much more complex than is shown in the map.  However, the red rectangle gives me a set of sidings, lots of straight lines, some fairly simple pointwork, a nice headshunt and the possibility of a couple of non-descript and out-of-commission buildings , so in my version those will become the exchange sidings.  The lines originally served Church Pit ("Mine (Dis)" on the map), later the Abbey Shot Factory (which used the pit shaft as the drop rather than a shot tower) and then, well, I don't know after that.  I could have it all wrong and they actually were the exchange sidings.

It'll all be good practice, as it'll feature actual track and scenery, plus wiring, plus (semi-)automatic uncoupling.  Time for a shopping list...

• Like 1

Eek.  Just done some measuring (that 200m scale on the map is useful) and it turns out that the length of track I'd planned on replicating is about 2000ft which would be 4m just for the exchange sidings with a nice approach from the east and that "Y" at the west.  Think I'll be compressing that somewhat.

Hi Richard.  My  reading of the map is that the red rectangle was the exchange sidings as they lead off the (dashed) line to East Holywell.  The ones in the blue rectangle come of the (solid black) line marked as 'Mineral railway'.  Also, there are not enough of the latter to be practicable as exchange sidings.  Loaded wagons have to be brought from the pit by the colliery loco and parked to be collected by the main line loco.  at the same time empties have to be left and collected.  This needs a number of sidings which were usually parallel.  Either that or all exchange took place at East Holywell.

No harm in a bit of compression.  My exchange sidings are designed around 575mm long trains (roughly 13 wagons and a van) which, along with 125mm for the loco, are the longest my cassettes can take.

Jim

1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Hi Richard.  My  reading of the map is that the red rectangle was the exchange sidings as they lead off the (dashed) line to East Holywell.  The ones in the blue rectangle come of the (solid black) line marked as 'Mineral railway'.  Also, there are not enough of the latter to be practicable as exchange sidings.  Loaded wagons have to be brought from the pit by the colliery loco and parked to be collected by the main line loco.  at the same time empties have to be left and collected.  This needs a number of sidings which were usually parallel.  Either that or all exchange took place at East Holywell.

No harm in a bit of compression.  My exchange sidings are designed around 575mm long trains (roughly 13 wagons and a van) which, along with 125mm for the loco, are the longest my cassettes can take.

Jim

Hi Jim

You're probably right, and I've a couple of photos which seem to confirm it.  I've also photos (early '70s) which seem to show the blue area as more populated by sidings than the (mid '60s) map shows.  Doesn't really matter, as - to quote a great modeller - "It's your model, so make it how you want it" 😁

R

• Like 2