Circular test track layout for combination of 00 and N gauges

Marly51

I have just been offered a 4ft diameter table top, which I am considering converting into a multi gauge circular test track layout. As I am already working on a 9ft long N gauge layout in three sections in the workshop, space is limited. My collection includes locomotives in 0, 00 and N gauge. I have seen photographs of circular test tracks in model railway club rooms. It would be quite easy to have the circular board raised by a pulley to the workshop cross beams, when not required. The board would be supported on folding legs when in use. One of the first model railways I ever saw was a layout raised to a living room ceiling, by pulley, in a small tenement flat in Dundee, in the 1950s. The layout sat on the kitchen/dining table quite comfortably!

As I also enjoy modelling scenery and buildings, I would quite like to leave enough space between the different tracks to allow for some moveable low relief detail. Opportunities for photographing the models against a suitable backdrop!

I shall post some more as I work out a few details. It would interesting to hear from any members who have constructed something similar?

Edited by Marly51

Probably a bit of overkill a circular table, but cut away most of the middle to leave a few spokes and a centre to mount a pivot and you could  hang it on a wall when not in use.  You could also power the table to revolve at the same speed as the test loco travels, that would be brilliant for trouble shooting.  Long term this is one of my devious plans which has yet to be tried but still in the planning stage.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DavidCBroad said:

Probably a bit of overkill a circular table, but cut away most of the middle to leave a few spokes and a centre to mount a pivot and you could  hang it on a wall when not in use.  You could also power the table to revolve at the same speed as the test loco travels, that would be brilliant for trouble shooting.  Long term this is one of my devious plans which has yet to be tried but still in the planning stage.

A circular rolling road?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, JohnR said:

Surely getting a circle in O onto that size board would be very tight? Whats the minimum radius?

Oops - 0 Gauge is a non- starter, John & Douglas! Too busy doing micro-models and N gauge - put it down to over enthusiasm! Think I’ll have to move the 0 gauge into the garden! I’ve renamed the topic and will see what I can do with the smaller scales!

Edited by Marly51