HO code 83 turnouts / points with sprung blades that allow trains to "run through" against the setting

We have a small club layout with DCC which uses Walthers code 83 points / turnouts operated automatically by Tortoise point motors. We have a problem that sometimes the trains fail to trip the sensor that changes the turnout and run against the turnout causing a derailment and shorting out the layout (at best - or falling off!).

I have some older ROCO points that have blades that are gently sprung allowing trains to "run through", as do current Marklin points. 

Does anyone out there know of a current manufacturer who makes points with this "run through" ability which are code 83 and 2 -rail DCC compatible? PECO don't - at least the ones I have. 

• RMweb Gold

Are these turnouts Electofrog and the polarity of the frog switched by the Tortoise? Having a freely-sprung blades that allow you to run against them might cause a problem.

If you are using the Tortoise to switch the polarity, then one solution might be to use the second switch to control a dead section in front of the frog. This diagram is from the DCC Concepts instruction manual for their Cobalt motors, but the principle would be the same with the Tortoise. It would mean a train stopping short of the turnout if it was set wrongly, rather than derailing and/or shorting out on the frog. 

Switch.JPG.21a991f7f6a45a1f266da83e2b1957a5.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hi Robert

Thanks for sharing. I may well investigate that set up when I replace the track - providing I can find out all the details on the Tortoises!

I only see the layout about three times a year so have to work on it when I can. Which gives me plenty of time to forget how it was set up!! I didn't build the layout so have to work from wiring diagrams; I can generally get it all working! However once it has been stewing in its transport trailer for a few months it develops all sorts of gremlins that pop up when other people have it a shows.

The strange thing is that the shorts are caused by derailing stock; one locomotive, a metal bodied Trix, seems to be able to blunder through the points when set against it with no ill effect. The Tortoises also seem to return to their original position at random times "closing early" whilst stock is still running through them. So I'm hoping that by having sprung points stock will continue to run so that the layout "fails safe" when I'm not there. 

The set up is a passing loop at the rear of the layout that sends trains through the scenic section in opposite directions. Occupancy is detected by induction when a loco enters a section then it is stopped and the other train starts up. Power is switched through a large relay.  Part of the problem is the detecting sections get clagged up with dirt during display running so the triggering is unreliable. I'm tempted to replace it with infra red once I work out how......

Forgive my confusion with this issue ………… I am assuming that you are using Tortoise motors under the baseboard. I use Tortoise point motors under the baseboard and they hold the points over very strongly and so unless you use VERY thin weak wire to link the motor to the point the effect of the Tortoise will negate the easy spring action of any point

• Thanks 1

Roco-Line are code 83, come with or without roadbed and like your older Roco points, work the same way.

Roco also reintroduced this excellent track system a year or two ago, I imagine you can buy it in the USA from the likes of Reynaulds or similar? I'm sure it won't be cheap, sorry!

cheers,

John

• Thanks 1