Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Today it is the Autumn equinox ...

spikey

... and what a delight it is to note this morning that Morrisons have at last got a variety of Xmas puds and Xmas cakes on the shelves.  No more laying awake at night now wondering if they were leaving it until the last minute.

Is this the only country in which Christmas starts in late September?

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, spikey said:

... and what a delight it is to note this morning that Morrisons have at last got a variety of Xmas puds and Xmas cakes on the shelves. 

Which have a "use by" date before Xmas?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Next Christmas - History - when do the Easter Eggs come out !!!

Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago today I was in a branch of a well known high-street supermarket, in the Wirral, and they were selling mince pies in the usual sort of 'Christmas' packaging; the duty manager told me that they'd been available since the previous day.  I joked with him about Easter eggs, and he told me that his instructions were for them to go on display on Christmas Eve.  Easter 2020 is 12th April.  He was serious, and he was not amused.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alex TM said:

Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago today I was in a branch of a well known high-street supermarket, in the Wirral, and they were selling mince pies in the usual sort of 'Christmas' packaging; the duty manager told me that they'd been available since the previous day.  I joked with him about Easter eggs, and he told me that his instructions were for them to go on display on Christmas Eve.  Easter 2020 is 12th April.  He was serious, and he was not amused.

Regards,

Alex.

The Easter Eggs will probably already have been made, and will be waiting in warehouses around the Midlands; this was certainly the case 40 years ago, when I spent the best part of two years putting up pallet racking for them.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The Easter Eggs will probably already have been made, and will be waiting in warehouses around the Midlands; this was certainly the case 40 years ago, when I spent the best part of two years putting up pallet racking for them.

It's one thing all the suppliers and manufacturers having to work things out long in advance, another when it's shoved in your face in the supermarket.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GeoffAlan said:

We've been saying since late June that 'the nights are drawing in'.

Get's my wife's goat every year, when I announce on the morning after the summer solstice, "Winter's on the way". (I have to do something to temper her relentlessly sunny disposition. If she had been on the Titanic the words "Stop complaining, a bracing swim in the sea is a positive tonic" might well have been reported by survivors.)

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, spikey said:

... and what a delight it is to note this morning that Morrisons have at last got a variety of Xmas puds and Xmas cakes on the shelves.  No more laying awake at night now wondering if they were leaving it until the last minute.

I was in Walmart this morning and some Christmas stuff was out. So the answer to your question is "NO.".

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think they need telling we don't do Thanksgiving in the UK.... 

The celebration or the general principle?  Around here we seem to do less giving thanks than at any time before ......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Agree with you entirely.  A friend of mine is in the 'Tartan Tat' industry, and next summers nonsense will have been finalised, and production begun, before this summer started.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

is it just me or are we turning into a bunch of curmudgeons?  (My beloved has suggested that I have used the wrong tense!)

Wheeltappers is RMweb's spiritual home of "get off my lawn" rants.  "Driving Standards" is the benchmark. Four years on it is usually in the top two pages.

Back in 2008 there was an RMweb member age survey. My sense is that the current active membership, particularly in Wheeltappers, is older than it was, at least by 11 years. (Funnily enough I am too.) ;) 

(I think the the median age might have increased by more than the 11 years that has elapsed.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, spikey said:

Late September? I saw the first christmas things in a shop in the first week of September!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Alex TM said:

is it just me or are we turning into a bunch of curmudgeons?  (My beloved has suggested that I have used the wrong tense!)

I don't belieeeeeve it!

• Like 1