RMweb

Imaginary Locomotives

Not necessarily imaginary in the truest sense of the word. Another modeller on here is making an BR Blue 9F. Oddly enough I was thinking up a layout along a similar theme and I have mocked up a possible 8F which I hope to be building sometime soon. 

attachicon.gif8f blue trail.png

attachicon.gif8f blue trail 2.png

I've added some "mod-cons" such as westy-house pumps and air tanks, headlights, a giesl ejector, mini-snowploughs, modified cab and tender to be enclosed and roller bearings etc etc.

I've done two post TOP liveries inc a mid 80's full yellow cab which I prefer tbh.

Now this I'm looking forward to seeing!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are sme pretty hapless looking beasts there. Though I don't mind the WD's they're quite nice and the Q1 Austerity engine :P

I just finish painting up a modified "Black" 5 to go with the 8F. Unfortunately the corporate sectors of the 70's weren't a sentimental bunch but by the mid eighties some opinions had changed.

post-8963-0-31950400-1409145168.png

post-8963-0-22442100-1409310884.png

post-8963-0-93166500-1409310891.png

All modified locos would carry mechanical stokers, even the tank engines (with that mechanical pusher the austerities had) and GPCS. Some locos where even treated to Kylpor and Lempor ejectors. :) But the ones here's have Giels attached until further notice.

Edited by Sylvian Tennant
  • Like 6

I'm interested in painting a Class 67 in Swallow livery with parts suitable for late Sectorisation and working a WCML-style push-pull set.  Whether or not this will come into fruition is another matter, especially as I want to model a real-life location.

I like some of the fictitious works here.

Edited by GarrettTheThief
  • Like 3

...That 'Marchioness' looks like a real beast too.

Works better with 6' diameter drivers, allows that little bit more essential space to have the inside cylinders drive on the second coupled axle. It is a pity that the 2-8-2 format didn't get more of a trial in the UK, considering the success of the type in North America, France and Germany. Had the LMS built some, then we might have seen a 6' wheel BR standard 2-8-2 instead of both the Brit and 9F.

• Like 2

One planned GWR engine I suspect might be become a good looking model was Churchward's plan for a 0-8-0 pannier tank (1905?) for heavy shunting. Basically it reused the parts from the 45xx parries, i.e. same wheels, cylinders and number 5 boiler. So if you cut up a Bachmann model...

Hi All,

I would like to add that a GWR 0-8-0 (albeit a tender loco) with outside cylinders HAS steamed in preservation.

Ok, it didn't go anywhere but it did exist.

In steam...

For about 24hrs...

A few years back we had the pony truck out of No. 3822 and it was time for its annual hot boiler test so it was steamed like that!

It counts!

Coat on and seeking door...

All the best,

Castle

"i.e. same ... cylinders "

So an outside cylindered 0-8-0PT?  Nice thought :-)    David

Errrr...what can I say, you got me thinking!

post-20657-0-45901100-1409215575_thumb.jpg

The GWR 0-8-0T looks good, very good in fact...

Same point, which is going make me sound like a bottom, the boiler on it should be a taper boiler with safety valves in the middle not the straight top with the dome.

Errr...what can I say, you got me thinking!

The GWR 0-8-0T looks good, very good in fact...

Same point, which is going make me sound like a bottom, the boiler on it should be a taper boiler with safety valves in the middle not the straight top with the dome.

Thank you!

By default, the program I use to make those design would usually self position, and install Safety Valves rather than a dome, but due to the boiler and wheel base, it thought I wanted a Dome! 

I'll give it another go!

Unfortunately, the software I use won't allow me to modify an existing design, I had to start from scratch! So things are a little different!
Still, a predicted tractive effort of 36649 lbs...

post-20657-0-67976000-1409240291_thumb.jpg

For comparison, the old one:

post-20657-0-28406500-1409240408_thumb.jpg