70s Industrial steam

9 hours ago, Jeremy C said:

No. 59, which from other sources I see is VF 5300/1945 isn't listed in my 1976 Industrial Locomotives book at all, at least, not under NCB or Tyne and Wear,

The pannier tank appears to be Kitson 2509/1883, NCB No 41, which was at Tanfield in 1976 and I think is now at the North Tyneside Steam Railway. My guess is that the photos are a decade out.

I would not like to guess what the third locomotive is, although the cab and curved handrail look distinctive enough.

,RSH ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2021 at 19:51, montyburns56 said:

Glass Houghton Coke Works 1975

Glass Houghton Coke Works 20/10/1975 - picture 5

Glass Houghton Coke Works 20/10/1975 - picture 7

Glass Houghton Coke Works 20/10/1975 - picture 8

Glass Houghton Coke Works 20/10/1975

Excellent. I haven't seen these before. I guess that #3 had by then replaced the fireless loco with the high level cab. Is the additional pipe work to do with remote control of the coke hopper wagon.

For those new to the industry, this wagon was drawn alongside the ovens and filled with the red hot coals before passing under the quenching tower. The steam given off by this process was quite acidic and, if the westerly winds strong enough, could leave holes in the washing half a mile away. The truly amazing thing is that these photos were taken from the public footpath that ran right through the plant.

The loco is Coal Products #3, in the words of the late Ron Rockett, a name as imaginative as the light blue livery was practical! My IRS book lists her as Hawthorne Leslie 3575 from 1923 which eventually went to Tanfield for preservation.

A birthday has brought David Monk Steel's book on industrial wagons. This confirms that the hopper car doors and tilt were air powered from a semi permanently connected loco.

Edited by doilum
Additional information
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 30/01/2021 at 19:56, montyburns56 said:

Prince Of Wales Colliery, Pontefract 1971

wyks - ncb hc 0-6-0st prince of wales colliery pontefract c71 JL wyks - ncb hc 0-6-0t s120 shunting mgr wagons prince of wales colliery near pontefract c72 JL

Hudswell Clarke 1886 of 1955. Originally "Whitwood #8"  ( a whole batch of eight were delivered new in 1951-6 to what was then the central work shop) it spent it's full working life at POW before being scrapped on site in 1972.

Edited by doilum
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, doilum said:

Excellent. I haven't seen these before. I guess that #3 had by then replaced the fireless loco with the high level cab. Is the additional pipe work to do with remote control of the coke hopper wagon.

For those new to the industry, this wagon was drawn alongside the ovens and filled with the red hot coals before passing under the quenching tower. The steam given off by this process was quite acidic and, if the westerly winds strong enough, could leave holes in the washing half a mile away. The truly amazing thing is that these photos were taken from the public footpath that ran right through the plant.

The loco is Coal Products #3, in the words of the late Ron Rockett, a name as imaginative as the light blue livery was practical! My IRS book lists her as Hawthorne Leslie 3575 from 1923 which eventually went to Tanfield for preservation.

Thanks for the info, as it was only after I'd posted the pictures that I started to wonder what all the pipework was for.

57 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Thanks for the info, as it was only after I'd posted the pictures that I started to wonder what all the pipework was for.

It is my best guess. My younger daughter looks after the local history photo collection in Castleford library. She hadn't seen these before and thought they would be great additions if the copyright could be agreed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Wheldale 1973

NCB North Yorks Area, Wheldale, c6/1973

I have Whitwood no 4 and Diana in the Frydale stud. To my surprise, I haven't got any photos of the Hudswell Clarkes or 15" engines on this tablet. A job for tomorrow! These are excellent pictures which I haven't quite seen before.

IMG_20210118_150931.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Savile Colliery 1971

NCB North Yorks Area, Savile Colliery 27/8/1971

Wheldale 1970

NCB North Yorks Area, Wheldale 28/05/1970

Fryston 1970

NCB North Yorks Area, Fryston 28/05/1970

North Yorks Area, Fryston 28/05/1970

Whilst I have modelled Fryston #2, Parkhill and Mexborough have missed out. My third 15" (from the Judith Edge kit) ended up as Bawtry but could as easily been Wheeler or Coronation. Parkhill was one of the collieries where my late father in law worked and would be a strong favourite if I was tempted into a fifth austerity. The loco transferred to Fryston for the last year or so of it's working life. My maternal grandfather worked in the time office at Fryston and, strangely enough, my paternal grandfather did the same job at Whitwood. The models are as much a tribute to family as they are to a lost way of life. Just to round off the family connections, in 1970 dad was the head teacher at the tiny village school in Fryston.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Savile Colliery 1971

Wheldale 1970

Fryston 1970

Whilst I have modelled Fryston #2, Parkhill and Mexborough have missed out. My third 15" (from the Judith Edge kit) ended up as Bawtry but could as easily been Wheeler or Coronation. Parkhill was one of the collieries where my late father in law worked and would be a strong favourite if I was tempted into a fifth austerity. The loco transferred to Fryston for the last year or so of it's working life. My maternal grandfather worked in the time office at Fryston and, strangely enough, my paternal grandfather did the same job at Whitwood. The models are as much a tribute to family as they are to a lost way of life. Just to round off the family connections, in 1970 dad was the head teacher at the tiny village school in Fryston.

Sorry about the double post. I am not sure if this really belongs under the Frydale thread but I will include the details here.

Whitwood no 4 was Hudswell Clarke 1844 (1951). It moved to Pontefract POW in 1971 and then , in kit form to the Nene Valley possibly as a parts project.

Fryston no2 was HC 1883 (1955) and spent its entire working life there being scrapped in 1972. 

1972 seems to have been a pivotal year for steam. There seems to have been an area wide policy change on rebuilding locos not helped by a year of on/ off industrial action and a miner's strike. It also saw the end of ponies underground.

I will post the other pictures under Frydale in the industrial section.

IMG_20210203_105341.jpg

IMG_20210203_105410.jpg

• Like 8

On 02/02/2021 at 19:54, montyburns56 said:

Savile Colliery 1971

Wheldale 1970

Fryston 1970

I think that the Saville loco is HE 1956 (1939) Airedale no 2. Not to be confused with Airedale or Airedale no 1. 

It was scrapped on site in 1975.

Edited by doilum